Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two Strong Earthquakes Rattle Central Italy

Claire.

Two Strong Earthquakes Rattle Central Italy

Two strong earthquakes just two hours apart rattled central Italy today, and the temblors were felt as far south as Rome.

A 5.5-magnitude quake struck roughly 6 miles (9 kilometers) southeast of the town of Norcia at around 10 a.m. local time. Just two hours later, a larger, magnitude-6.1 quake struck about 11 miles (18 km) from the medieval town and just 1.6 miles (2 km) from the smaller town of Visso. Norcia has seen its share of shaking in recent months. In August, the same region was struck by a magnitude-6.2 quake that left hundreds of people dead as medieval-era stone buildings collapsed, according to CNN.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 6

Really have to feel sorry for these people and while not as important as lives for the loss of historical structures. 

Have to wonder if they are about to get a really big one.

• Like 4

One report  I read they are worried about a volcano becoming active.  Could get really scary over there.  

• Like 3

I'm really sorry for them. Earthquake is one of the worst natural disaster because we can somehow escape from other disasters like flood or hurricane, but earthquake is something very horrific and scary. I happened to read an article which had few tips to protect ourselves from natural disaster. It seemed to be useful, but anyhow we cannot fight against the nature. We should be more careful on how we are treating the nature. Mainly the skyscrapers are the one which leads to more death because it'll be very difficult to run out or hide in case of an earthquake. 

• Like 1

My daughter is in an engineering program and wants to travel to Italy next year to party for an internship for real world experience, and I hope her accommodations will be in safer buildings.  The idea of living in those beautiful old death traps would be fear-inducing for a claustrophobic old geezer like myself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, and then said:

My daughter is in an engineering program and wants to travel to Italy next year to party for an internship for real world experience, and I hope her accommodations will be in safer buildings.  The idea of living in those beautiful old death traps would be fear-inducing for a claustrophobic old geezer like myself.

I'd be more worried about being caught in a high rising complexes, not a one single terrace.  Look at the earthquake in a modern city like Christchurch NZ in 2011.  185 died and almost half the City Center damaged or destroyed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

I'd be more worried about being caught in a high rising complexes, not a one single terrace.  Look at the earthquake in a modern city like Christchurch NZ in 2011.  185 died and almost half the City Center damaged or destroyed. 

It makes me want to keep her here or make her live in a tent!  :D

• Like 2