Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dreamworld: Four dead in horrific accident

psyche101

Reports emerged shortly after the incident, of problems with the water level on the ride, in the weeks and months prior, that had caused interruptions to its operation. I would not be surprised if that is the focus of investigations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mangoze said:

Wait and see...

The share price, for Ardent Leisure, dropped to two dollars after the incident; but, that's not the lowest it has been over the last twelve months.

Anyway the rides were free.  The only cost was the time spent in queues.

True, l haven't bee to Dreamworld for phew, 7 years or more, so the entry cost, will be reduced. :rolleyes:

The Rapid River Ride is actually quite fun or used to be, and l always thought that if someone did fall out of the tyre boat they wouldn't last long. I remember the part where the boats move down a ramp, before stopping to get out, those things weigh a ton, so if the pumps were turned of, and this thing fell on you, then what could happen has happened.

I wanted to get into this giant, 8 seater boat thing, by myself but the attendant wouldn't let me and offered me a spare seat with a group of English tourists.

Worse has happened with people getting thrown out of roler coasters, around the world, but that is quickly forgotten, The one at Movie world is an accident waiting to happen.

Image result for movie world rollercoaster ride image

I might go on the Lethal Weapon one, but probably not this.

B)

Edited by tmcom
  • Like 1

Its all really weird IMO .   I have worked at Warner Studios a few times. Every time at least one weird and unsafe thing has happened.  The theme park nextdoor has rides that come over near our work area.  Heaps of times people would be stuck up there and be calling out to us for help, but i would yell back that it isnt our gig, all the rides belong to the place next door, it is separate from the studios. Once they were up there for a long time, in summer, they were calling out for water, I tried to lob some water bottles up to them but they were too high. 

Even the studios seemed unsafe or 'cursed' or something, some type of accident  each job .... some bad  ( eg. in one, a gas explosion,  three guys got burned bad, one ended up dying. They were well known to the crews .    Then there are the 'stunties' accidents.  And even a main star got his head chopped open  (off the job) .   Also, on the other side, I observed some issues at Waterworld.  

I dont trust it .   Something about those long lines of people, endlessly waiting to go 'up the chute '   .....   reminds me of sheep going up an abattoir ramp . 

• Like 3

You just don't think of those types of rides being dangerous. You think if something bad is gonna happen, it will be one of those ridiculous coasters or water slides that are so tall they have to put a flashing light at the top for low-flying planes. 

My heart goes out to the families.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2016 at 0:46 AM, Mangoze said:

Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) and the Electrical Safety Office (ESO) inspectors visit workplaces to respond to health and safety incidents, electrical safety incidents and to monitor and enforce compliance ...

Any previous incidents must've been investigated, right?  Any identified deficiencies would've been remedied, right?  Dreamworld must've been compliant, right?

I think it may be difficult to find a scapegoat.  

Who knows, maybe it was the previous government's fault.

Probably I'm not particularly receptive today, but I don't get your point. 

Are you serious or ironic? 

Investigated? Yes. 

Remedied? Not necessarily, at least not timely. 

Compliant? Apparently not. 

Are you suggesting I'm looking for a scapegoat? 

It's not actually difficult to find a scapegoat, if we'd want to, you just go at the top of the decision chain and blame the guy.

Managers are there for that reason and theoretically they get paid how they get paid also because of the responsibilities that come with the job. 

But I'm not looking for anything, I don't know how things actually played out and I don't know much the theme parks there.

As I said I simply based my post on what other users said and, if what they say is true and correct, then it means that possibly this accident could have been avoided and the responsibles are the ones who decided it wasn't the case to check and fix things properly. 

• Like 2

@Parsec

At the top of this search...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pillars+of+heracles&rlz=1C1ASUT_enAU439AU440&oq=pillars+of+heracles&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.10254j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=dreamworld+thunder+rapids+ride+water+levels

is an article from The Australian.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/health/dreamworld-tragedy-theme-park-admits-rapids-ride-pump-failed-regularly/news-story/594d457a391c802a4e1a065e91f6aed9

You may, or may not, be able to open it.  It's subject to subscription

The regulator conducted six random check in FY16 as a result of complaints.  You expect the regulator charged with enforcing compliance to enforce compliance.  If, after an investigation, deficiencies are found - it's reasonable to expect the regulator to enforce remedial action. 

A month before this accident, the Thunder Rapids Ride renewed is WHSQ registration by destop review of the paperwork submitted by an accredited engineer.  The ride was compliant.  

Yesterday, The Courier Mail reported the accident was a result of a proverbial "alignment of stars".  It may be better described in terms of The Swiss Cheese Model; there were probably holes in many layers of checks that allowed this incident to occur.  That's why I say it may be difficult to find a scapegoat. 

The Regulator, the system for safety certification, the engineer's accreditation, park management and Ardent Leisure's risk assessment may all be under scrutiny.

Why would there a need for the regulator to conduct a "blitz" if the system of regulation is satisfactory?

I wonder how criminal negligence could be found when things are compliant with regulations.  Will there be fraudulent practices uncovered?

But, as Habitat said the pratices particularly concerning the dodgy water pump are going to be under the most scrutiny.

Maybe management is ultimately responsible.  I'm just suggesting the possible existence of failures in the system outside of the park.

Edited by Mangoze
  • Like 2

@Mangoze

Thank you for the explanation and info. 

Well, after all even the captain of the Titanic wasn't found negligent according to both American and British enquiries because he followed the standard practices of the time (the Americans concluded that it was an act of God). 

According to what you wrote I tend to agree with you, we'll see. 

• Like 2

Update:

LINK - Dreamworld rapid ride tragedy: Brother and sister farewelled at Canberra funeral

Cause of accident still unclear

Ms Low's family and friends said goodbye to her at a funeral on the Central Coast last Thursday.

Mr Araghi was also farewelled at a service in Sydney last week.

Today Queensland police completed their forensic investigation at the site on the Gold Coast and handed control of the theme park back to management.

But Dreamworld remains closed to the public and is not expected to re-open until after the victims' funerals.

In a statement police said the investigation was now under the control of the coroner and they did not intent to comment further.

It is still unclear what caused the accident.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

After working there many years ago.......they have re opened now.....placing 4 trees,removing the ride and placing a plaque in the memory.......there have been a few mishaps at coast theme park's since....i think a thorough enough job has not been done....

And after working in Tiger Island...........is safer than anything else.....

• Like 1