Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dreamworld: Four dead in horrific accident

psyche101

Dreamworld: Four dead in 'horrific' theme park accident

Four people - two men and two women - have died after an accident on a ride at Gold Coast theme park Dreamworld.

The death of four people at a Gold Coast theme park has been labelled one of the saddest days in the city's history.

Two men and two women died at Dreamworld when the family favourite Thunder River Rapids ride apparently malfunctioned on Tuesday afternoon.

The exact circumstances of the accident are under investigation but the six-person raft the victims were on flipped over while travelling on a conveyor belt.

Two of the victims were flung clear of the raft into the water, while the other two were trapped under the raft.

All my fellow Queenslander and Aussies are most likely aware of this. It has touched most people I would say. A terrible Tragedy, and I think the park owners are in some serious hot water here.

I would not be surprised if this shuts Dreamworld down. The many claims of poor maintenance would be in line with what many have suspected for some time, I know I have heard that the park seemed to be ageing rapidly form a few who regularly attend. Glad they were not there this day. I have been on that very ride myself quite a few times. 

A very sad day, a very serious incident. Our thoughts are with the families. Police confirmed to reporters that two females, aged 42 and 38, and two males, 35 and 32, had died.

LINK - Mother of Dreamworld accident victims says 'my whole family has been wiped out'

Ms Goodchild had two daughters, aged 12 and eight months, and the older girl is believed to have been at the theme park when the tragedy occurred.

Two children were rescued and have survived the incident. 

LINK - Dreamworld rapids ride: 'Miracle' that children survived Queensland's worst theme park tragedy

A terrible tragedy, a sad day here in Australia. Our thoughts are with the families of the victims. 

• Like 5

Yes - a shocking tragedy. I couldn't believe the news when I heard it. We were only there a couple of months ago. That was also one of my favourite rides....apparently one of the safest too.

The poop is really going to hit the fan over this one. The neglect of maintenance on these rides will come under much investigation now and so it should. In fact the other theme parks will probably have to be investigated as well.

I feel this will really hurt the Gold Coast as far as tourism goes. It wouldn't surprise me if they shut down Dream World - as this is not the first incident they have had where injury was involved. But of course this is without a doubt - the worst theme park tragedy that this country has seen.

My heart goes out to the families involved....such sad days.

• Like 4

That park must have been a gold-mine, a journo asked questions today about  million dollar bonuses paid to board members. No way this place should be re-opening tomorrow, it needs a complete, independent safety audit of the whole shebang.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

That park must have been a gold-mine, a journo asked questions today about  million dollar bonuses paid to board members. No way this place should be re-opening tomorrow, it needs a complete, independent safety audit of the whole shebang.

Yes - I doubt very much that it will open tomorrow. IMO - that would be in extremely poor taste considering what has happened.

This tragedy isn't going to go away over night - as the investors and board members would probably like it to.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Yes - I doubt very much that it will open tomorrow. IMO - that would be in extremely poor taste considering what has happened.

This tragedy isn't going to go away over night - as the investors and board members would probably like it to.

Yep, I think it will be a while before it is trading again, I wonder if White Water World will remain open to the public? 

All these complaints and the lawsuits that will come from this are going to be a heck of a hurdle for Dreamworld to overcome. I am pretty sure they were either just building, or about to build LegoWorld there too. Missed that contract, but now I am glad I did.  They have been trailing Movie World with new attractions and such for some time now, it sounds like they already had budgetary issues. 

I will be rather surprised if they recover from this. I suspect it might be shut down, or at least sold off to another investor. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Astra. said:

It is slated to re-open Friday, seems wrong to me.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Astra. said:

It gets a fair crowd, but I really doubt it gets what the worlds do. Sea World, Wet n Wild and Movie World are all Warner Brothers. 

I reckon Sea World wants to have a bucketload of engineers and trades people crawling over it today with a fine toothed comb. It is looking a bit dilapidated and aged as well I reckon. Was there earlier this year. 

I am really glad the kids made it. The Royal Easter Show tragedy a bit back was just horrifying to hear about. I cannot imagine how that poor little girl felt as she flew through the air. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

It gets a fair crowd, but I really doubt it gets what the worlds do. Sea World, Wet n Wild and Movie World are all Warner Brothers. 

I reckon Sea World wants to have a bucketload of engineers and trades people crawling over it today with a fine toothed comb. It is looking a bit dilapidated and aged as well I reckon. Was there earlier this year. 

I am really glad the kids made it. The Royal Easter Show tragedy a bit back was just horrifying to hear about. I cannot imagine how that poor little girl felt as she flew through the air. 

Yep - I imagine the rest of the theme parks will be getting their acts together now ...and as you said will be going over these rides with a fine tooth comb. I thought I heard last night that they (theme parks) are all going to be checked and audited.

It's just a shame that it takes a tragedy like this to happen before the operators finally take things seriously and pull out their proverbial fingers.

I mean people and families go to these places to relax and have fun - not to die for gods sake. 

Gosh - I'd forgotten about that poor little girl who was flung from the ride....wasn't that in Adelaide ?...poor little poppet :(

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Yep - I imagine the rest of the theme parks will be getting their acts together now ...and as you said will be going over these rides with a fine tooth comb. I thought I heard last night that they (theme parks) are all going to be checked and audited.

It's just a shame that it takes a tragedy like this to happen before the operators finally take things seriously and pull out their proverbial fingers.

I mean people and families go to these places to relax and have fun - not to die for gods sake. 

Gosh - I'd forgotten about that poor little girl who was flung from the ride....wasn't that in Adelaide ?...poor little poppet :(

I hear they planned to reopen Friday!

Proceeds were to be donated to the Red Cross for their counselling on the scene for the witnesses. 

It is however still a crime scene. I hope they do not open, like you say, it is supposed to be a happy memory, not a possible death. 

The entire place needs all sort of inspectors crawling all over it. X-Rays of all the mounts and supports, test the motors, test the conveyors, I just canot see all that happening by Friday it is like, get the boat people died in offsite and carry on.

I find that a bit heartless myself. I feel they owe it to the public to prove a clean bill of health, I reckon anyone would be mad paying a visit on Friday without that. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I hear they planned to reopen Friday!

Proceeds were to be donated to the Red Cross for their counselling on the scene for the witnesses. 

It is however still a crime scene. I hope they do not open, like you say, it is supposed to be a happy memory, not a possible death. 

The entire place needs all sort of inspectors crawling all over it. X-Rays of all the mounts and supports, test the motors, test the conveyors, I just canot see all that happening by Friday it is like, get the boat people died in offsite and carry on.

I find that a bit heartless myself. I feel they owe it to the public to prove a clean bill of health, I reckon anyone would be mad paying a visit. 

It's a disgrace if they open tomorrow. Surely Annastacia Palaszczuk and Tom Tate could stop this from happening ? - or are they more concerned about tourism ....so 'the show must go on' ? ...

This tragedy is still extremely fresh in people minds - and I would be totally surprised if they get the crowds to turn up.

I certainly wouldn't be rocking up there all gleeful and happy looking forward to a fun day out at Dreamworld tomorrow in light of what has happened.

You are right - until we know what the investigation comes up with....let alone be given a clean bill of health before these rides are proven to be stringently safe. The park should remain closed indefinitely.

All in all - it will be very interesting to see how all this plays out.

@ Just heard - apparently they are opening tomorrow for a memorial service.

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 2

Probably will not open as yet, the place is still a crime scene, they want to open, but the police might yet quash that. 

Some rides are supposed to open after the memorial service. 

Hang on - latest in

LINK - Dreamworld cancels planned reopening due to ongoing police investigation into fatal accident

Dreamworld has cancelled tomorrow's memorial opening saying it does not want to compromise the ongoing police investigation into the deaths of four people on the Thunder River Rapids ride.

The theme park will now remain closed until at least Monday.

Funny, I get the impression they had a choice in the matter? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Probably will not open as yet, the place is still a crime scene, they want to open, but the police might yet quash that. 

Some rides are supposed to open after the memorial service. 

Hang on - latest in

LINK - Dreamworld cancels planned reopening due to ongoing police investigation into fatal accident

Dreamworld has cancelled tomorrow's memorial opening saying it does not want to compromise the ongoing police investigation into the deaths of four people on the Thunder River Rapids ride.

The theme park will now remain closed until at least Monday.

Funny, I get the impression they had a choice in the matter?

Well that's more like it - people want answers ....and so they should keep it closed until further investigation takes place where the police are concerned.

It made no sense at all to have opened the doors so soon to the public. Hmm! seems the operators as such may have felt that they did have a choice in the matter by wanting it open.

I mean what a joke - for they are the very people that may soon have some substantial law suits filed against them. I feel we are going to see a few heads roll before this is all over. 

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 2

The kids in my class were full of questions, and as you see happen when Catholic school kids are involved - full of prayers, about this. 

I reckon this ride's day is done.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Lord Fedorable said:

The kids in my class were full of questions, and as you see happen when Catholic school kids are involved - full of prayers, about this. 

I reckon this ride's day is done.

I was on that ride last month with my son. I thought it was the slowest and safest ride in the park. Anyway R.I.P 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Astra. said:

Well that's more like it - people want answers ....and so they should keep it closed until further investigation takes place where the police are concerned.

It made no sense at all to have opened the doors so soon to the public. Hmm! seems the operators as such may have felt that they did have a choice in the matter by wanting it open.

I mean what a joke - for they are the very people that may soon have some substantial law suits filed against them. I feel we are going to see a few heads roll before this is all over. 

Its a friggen shame that in this day and age they can't even run a proper maintenance schedule at these theme parks. The union representing the workers at Dreamworld actually sent a letter to management 18 months ago warning of poor maintenance and equipment. If dreamworld and others can't get it right i can only imagine how bad the rides must be at the EKKA. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silver_Lyre said:

Its a friggen shame that in this day and age they can't even run a proper maintenance schedule at these theme parks. The union representing the workers at Dreamworld actually sent a letter to management 18 months ago warning of poor maintenance and equipment. If dreamworld and others can't get it right i can only imagine how bad the rides must be at the EKKA. 

Oh - I totally agree... also about the EKKA. Are you a Queenslander as well ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Silver_Lyre said:

Apparently there's no guidelines for servicing and safety standards.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lord Fedorable said:

For things like the EKKA, they are hard to police because they are mobile, but WH&S has plenty of guidelines for the theme parks. 

Where the rides are fixed to the slabs they should be Xrayed, all joints Xrayed, all cables tested, all belts tested, motors, motor control centres, field isolators, there is mountains of stuff to check under WH & S. Individual items require routine testing. It is a standard requirement for electrical systems. 

And there is always AS3533 -Australian Standards for Amusement Park rides. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Astra. said:

Oh - I totally agree... also about the EKKA. Are you a Queenslander as well ?

Of course i am now. Mind you i was born and bred a New South Welshman. Back to the EKKA. I went this year and it was rather quite and low key. A big disappointment on previous years, but fun anyway. Did you go?

3 hours ago, Lord Fedorable said:

You're kidding me. Buses, Taxis and heavy vehicles need to be inspected every 6 months and these rides which have a higher chance of failure don't. That's just crazy. Palaszczuk has a lot to answer for.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silver_Lyre said:

You're kidding me. Buses, Taxis and heavy vehicles need to be inspected every 6 months and these rides which have a higher chance of failure don't. That's just crazy. Palaszczuk has a lot to answer for.    

They do see my post, each aspect of the construction has a standard to be kept, and then there is AS3533 Australian Standard for Amusement rides (SAI Global Website will have it) 

And - LINK IAAPA

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

For things like the EKKA, they are hard to police because they are mobile, but WH&S has plenty of guidelines for the theme parks. 

Where the rides are fixed to the slabs they should be Xrayed, all joints Xrayed, all cables tested, all belts tested, motors, motor control centres, field isolators, there is mountains of stuff to check under WH & S. Individual items require routine testing. It is a standard requirement for electrical systems. 

And there is always AS3533 -Australian Standards for Amusement Park rides. 

You ever get a chance to notice the carney's that run these rides? Most are missing their front teeth and sport 'love shazza tattoos' on their forearms. Yet these are the people we put our lives in their hands. These rides sit for months at a time in semi-rural areas exposed to the elements and then dusted off come EKKA. I know this cause every now and then i drive past Pallara and Darra. Surely TMR or WH&S (both) should insect them like you mention when they set up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silver_Lyre said:

Well now they're talking about testing and re-testing all the rides before they re-open.  You would have thought this was common practice on a daily basis.  If I was one of the relo's of the victims I'd be absolutely rabid with this approach now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

They do see my post, each aspect of the construction has a standard to be kept, and then there is AS3533 Australian Standard for Amusement rides (SAI Global Website will have it) 

And - LINK IAAPA

Your link also mentions regulation which would be a cracker of an idea. 

2 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Well now they're talking about testing and re-testing all the rides before they re-open.  You would have thought this was common practice on a daily basis.  If I was one of the relo's of the victims I'd be absolutely rabid with this approach now.

Yeah i know mate. It shouldn't have to take a tragedy to do the right thing. I was at Movie World 2 years ago when the Green Lantern ride came off the rails and with the carts precariously hanging on. The people on that ride were terrified and my son said 'i hope the little girl with the piggy-tails doesn't die' Needless to say we never went back and i doubt we'll go back to any other theme park until they start doing some pre-checks and maintenance.  

• Like 1