Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Health and Wellness 101

Yamato

Dietary choices have nothing to do with enlightenment. Some of the foods marketed to vegans are just as bad or worse than their highly processed counter part. Our lives are busy and sometimes it's easier to grab a burger than go home and make one ourselves. People make these choices. All the information is readily available to them. It's up to the individual to use it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yamato said:

You didn't watch the video but when you do you'll realize there is no calorie deprivation here at all.  It has nothing to do with depriving your body of calories, it's everything to do with narrowing your eating window.   How it's not healthy...how's that?

1 hour ago, Yamato said:

It's also incorrect to say that when you feel hungry, you need to eat.   Obese people feel hungry too.  At the same time, they have fat stores available till the cows come home but they never allow their bodies to utilize it. 

Which leads to another prevalent dietary myth circulating around these days that isn't helping, that our brains "need sugar in order to function."  About 97% of our brains don't need any sugar at all.

I'll get back to you once I have time and can be on my actual computer. Since this looks like I will need to bring my links and such lol.

I listend to half of the video now. He is advocating for a more moderate form of intermittent fasting then what I'm use to hearing about. What I'm using to hearing is people advocating for fasting days at a time, or like alternating days of eating and not eating. Your video is just advocating for 2 meals a day at certain times which isn't too crazy. 

I'm just naturally skeptical of things like this that promise miracles. It seems as irrational as someone telling me it's a good idea to not sleep when I'm tired, go to the bathroom when I need to or drink when I'm thirsty. So I have trouble seeing the hunger need be diffrent.

And people get fat because of what they eat, there activity level and they eat when they are not hungry. People eat when they are bored, when they are stressed, social eat juat because they are with people who are eating and eat past the point of being fI'll just to finish your portion size.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'll get back to you once I have time and can be on my actual computer. Since this looks like I will need to bring my links and such lol.

I listend to half of the video now. He is advocating for a more moderate form of intermittent fasting then what I'm use to hearing about. What I'm using to hearing is people advocating for fasting days at a time, or like alternating days of eating and not eating. Your video is just advocating for 2 meals a day at certain times which isn't too crazy

I'm just naturally skeptical of things like this that promise miracles. It seems as irrational as someone telling me it's a good idea to not sleep when I'm tired, go to the bathroom when I need to or drink when I'm thirsty. So I have trouble seeing the hunger need be diffrent.

And people get fat because of what they eat, there activity level and they eat when they are not hungry. People eat when they are bored, when they are stressed, social eat juat because they are with people who are eating and eat past the point of being fI'll just to finish your portion size.

Exactly. And his reasons for it made a lot of sense. Im really gonna take a whack at it. Shouldn't be to hard to do, being my eating habits are pretty close as is. From what I see, that little change should make a big difference.

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Dietary choices have nothing to do with enlightenment. Some of the foods marketed to vegans are just as bad or worse than their highly processed counter part. Our lives are busy and sometimes it's easier to grab a burger than go home and make one ourselves. People make these choices. All the information is readily available to them. It's up to the individual to use it.

That's contrary to everything Ive ever heard from those considered enlightened. Dietary choices are huge. Ive heard Buddhist monks, all the way to serious martial artists say that.   

Of course its easier to grab a burger. We are all quilty of it at some level. But talking about these choices, and getting people to see them is important for the collective conscious. And its actually working. Many more people are turning towards eating healthy for themselves and their children.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Something it has to do with is that believing in dietary myths isn't enlightened thinking.   The length of time they've endured is testament to how hella stubborn they are to shake off.

Not just some foods marketed to vegans, but organic foods can be problematic as well.  Buying locally-produced meat and produce is probably a much better idea than organic food from China.  Organic doesn't mean it isn't laced with heavy metals.   Eating food produced as close to home as possible and eating real food as whole as possible, even if not organic, is good advice to live by.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I listend to half of the video now. He is advocating for a more moderate form of intermittent fasting then what I'm use to hearing about. What I'm using to hearing is people advocating for fasting days at a time, or like alternating days of eating and not eating. Your video is just advocating for 2 meals a day at certain times which isn't too crazy. 

What they eat, how much they eat, their activity level and all the reasons they eat the way they do as well.   But narrowing their eating window is probably the missing link in earning their body weight.   Intermittent fasting isn't anywhere near as prevalent as the myths telling us to do the exact opposite.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Yamato said:

What they eat, how much they eat, their activity level and all the reasons they eat the way they do as well.   But narrowing their eating window is probably the missing link in earning their body weight.   Intermittent fasting isn't anywhere near as prevalent as the myths telling us to do the exact opposite.

Something I learned in your video really surprised me. That it takes at least 72 hours to go into metabolism shut down after not eating. I've always been told I don't lose the 5 to 10 extra pounds cause most of the day I normally don't eat. They told me my metabolism was intentionally running slow cause I deprived myself of food. So when I did eat my body wanted to store up that energy, cause it knows I go long periods without eating. It's not uncommon for me to skip breakfast and lunch. Often my first meal would be after work. 

Guess that was BS lol

• Like 1

Skipping breakfast and the effects really depends on the nature of the activity and the individual

I can't stress that enough, just because its okay for that little old lady who does nothing but swat at the flies all morning while her son toils at the heavy lifting straight out of bed doesn't mean that its the reason she's almost in her eighties and spunky as hell ... yeah I talking about a neighbor of mine .. she drinks she smokes and when she's in the mood she swears better than saltiest sea dog ... and yeah she used to teach Tai Qi but no longer because she has no patience for the 'Disciples' nowadays ... " they don't listen and they melt in the rain and wilt in the heat " is what what she says ... and when she gets mad she swears :lol:

Speaking of Monks and Martial Arts .. I remember such a debate between two old coots, one is a Pugilist Master / Teacher the other a TCM Physician / Monk ... both well into their 60's and the agreement at the end of the day was - eat but don't eat too much, eat better and eat quality, drink but don't drink too much, drink better and drink quality ...

In other words ... don't over do it ... somewhere in the conversation I think they brought up a great point, in the thousands or hundreds of thousands of years that mankind has to survive, we evolve with the seasons ... what is there available to eat is what you have to eat ... if there are berries in season you eat berries, if there are rabbits running all over the place you eat rabbits ... its not until just about 100 years ago (for the wealthy and privileged maybe 200 years) that we really had that big of a say and choice of getting what we want when we want ... a lot of people forget that ...

For the longest time humankind has been reliant on the land and the world and still does ... people are beginning to forget that because like some kids today ... they believe that food comes from the markets and malls ... that's where food is produced and that's all we need to have 'food' ~

~

• Like 1

I looked it up. Tell me how the intermittent fasting goes for you guys. It seems interesting. Worth a shot I guess.

There is a bit of reaserch on it. Though alot of the reaserch was with caloric restrictions and diffrent levels of fastening.

I couldn't really find any concerns about it other then the coristol increase when you're not eating and people were just worried you might binge more unhealthy foods because of the waiting.

Tell me how it goes 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2016 at 10:10 AM, preacherman76 said:

That was some great info Yam. Made for a interesting ride to work. Looking at the declining health of the people in America, who represent around 5% of the worlds population, yet consume around 90% of all pharmaceutical drugs, and have the worlds most aggressive vaccine program, I personally think what he said is really self evident.

Hey preacher, could you cite the sources for that 90% consumption of all pharmaceuticals please? I've found some other statistics that vary from 50% of all pharms to 80% of just painkillers, but not a 90% of all pharms statistic.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I looked it up. Tell me how the intermittent fasting goes for you guys. It seems interesting. Worth a shot I guess.

There is a bit of reaserch on it. Though alot of the reaserch was with caloric restrictions and diffrent levels of fastening.

I couldn't really find any concerns about it other then the coristol increase when you're not eating and people were just worried you might binge more unhealthy foods because of the waiting.

Tell me how it goes 

If one is very active or wants to build muscle and strength increased cortisol can wipe it all away... ;)

• Like 4

On 10/28/2016 at 3:10 PM, preacherman76 said:

Something I learned in your video really surprised me. That it takes at least 72 hours to go into metabolism shut down after not eating. I've always been told I don't lose the 5 to 10 extra pounds cause most of the day I normally don't eat. They told me my metabolism was intentionally running slow cause I deprived myself of food. So when I did eat my body wanted to store up that energy, cause it knows I go long periods without eating. It's not uncommon for me to skip breakfast and lunch. Often my first meal would be after work. 

Guess that was BS lol

So you've already done some effectual intermittent fasting and not even realizing it.   I was the same as you, and still am.    If you're healthy enough, give it a shot and give yourself the chance to feel some real hunger again.   Watch the video three times before you start so you're sure you've got it down.   You can literally feel the fat burning on your ribs and your stomach after 14+ hours.  I did it two days in a row the first time out and exercised in the 15th hour.   Amazingly enough I found it much easier to jog on fumes than jogging on a full stomach.  No foggy thinking either as though my brain "needed sugar".  Go too much more beyond 16 hours though and that would have been rough!   By the time I was out of the shower I was ready to eat!   Slammed down a 1000 Calorie meal for my first of two meals and felt fine.   Last year I was a buck sixty five soaking wet, my MD told me my ideal body weight was 162-164, now I'm a buck fifty soaking wet which is my sophomore weight in college.  I was at the highest weight of my life which was 185 when I was back in school in my 20s when all I did was sit.  I had a huge appetite for carbs from nothing but thinking so I have no doubt that brains burn glucose when it's available (a highly intelligent evolved response).   But at 150 I don't even feel my weight anymore.  I float up the stairs and glide down the street.  But it's also true that it's more difficult at first but your body adapts to a large extent and eventually gets used to it.   I never got used to it enough to do it five days a week like Dr. Mike does, but tried it more out of curiosity than going gungho with it.  It's a very welcome addition to my arsenal and if I'm any anecdote, it's probably as good as he says it is.

There may well be some specific health issues that some people have where eating every two or three hours is best for them.  Even when the science is in and the principle is sound, there's always an exception.  Another big take home message I've learned recently is that there is no universal diet that's best for everyone.  There are many great ideas and many opportunities for improvement but it remains important to listen to your body, respect the signals it transmits, and work with those signals rather than banging away against them, as if the signals are the problem.  Symptoms are there for a reason.  If doctors pay no attention to that reason, which is more rule than the exception these days, then they're not going to heal anything.  I guess if the only take home message this thread yields, it's for people not to abdicate the authority over their health to their doctors.  As we continue to learn more about health and are good neighbors and parents to each other, we're not going to be running to the white coats for another chemical every time something goes awry.   We're going to unleash a dozen other non-chemical things we can do on our own instead.   Women in particular want to own their own bodies, well taking charge of their own health would be a fabulous use of that ownership wouldn't it?

As a disclaimer to intermittent fasting I would agree that some people might have too much of a workload or energy load early in their day to leave the house without eating anything.  It'd probably be best for those folks to save it for the weekend.   Once their bodies adapt they may well find it easier to bleed it over into the weekdays, especially if weight-loss or brain-health are particularly important health goals.   I don't have another ounce to lose so I don't need it five days a week to maintain my current weight.  But I also know if I start exercising more, I'll also start eating more.  So I'll also probably gain some weight but it'll be healthy weight.  When I did P90X as a 170lber I gained weight (about 175lbs in 90 days) from the muscle mass gain of doing all the pull ups, squats, jumps and weights stuff.  My plan at this point is to take a more aerobic approach to exercise.  But always incorporate HIIT into almost everything I do.   That's imo the most magical quality about it.   You can almost seamlessly inject it into every exercise you do.  Take an MMA fight which is probably the most extreme example of HIIT there is, fighting in a cage.  Fighters go from short bursts of intense energy expenditure (like throwing combinations or kicks or shooting for a takedown) in between longer periods of relative rest.  They also train like they fight, and look how fit they are.  Fighters like the Diaz brothers are some of the fittest people on the planet.  And just look at the girls....o.m.g.  I don't want fake boobs and Botox injections, I want that.   Well, not a girl that can kick my ****, but just one that looks like that. :)

Did you ever get that water filter?  I still haven't yet but still planning on it kinda.  Maybe someone can get me one for Christmas?    I do buy my toothpaste from the health food store now though, fluoridated and non-F-, and I only use the fluoride paste < 50% of the time.  So I am cutting down on my fluoride ingestion mildly, but I'm also still drinking from the effing tap. :(

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yamato said:

So you've already done some effectual intermittent fasting and not even realizing it.   I was the same as you, and still am.    If you're healthy enough, give it a shot and give yourself the chance to feel some real hunger again.   Watch the video three times before you start so you're sure you've got it down.   You can literally feel the fat burning on your ribs and your stomach after 14+ hours.  I did it two days in a row the first time out and exercised in the 15th hour.   Amazingly enough I found it much easier to jog on fumes than jogging on a full stomach.  No foggy thinking either as though my brain "needed sugar".  Go too much more beyond 16 hours though and that would have been rough!   By the time I was out of the shower I was ready to eat!   Slammed down a 1000 Calorie meal for my first of two meals and felt fine.   Last year I was a buck sixty five soaking wet, my MD told me my ideal body weight was 162-164, now I'm a buck fifty soaking wet which is my sophomore weight in college.  I was at the highest weight of my life which was 185 when I was back in school in my 20s when all I did was sit.  I had a huge appetite for carbs from nothing but thinking so I have no doubt that brains burn glucose when it's available (a highly intelligent evolved response).   But at 150 I don't even feel my weight anymore.  I float up the stairs and glide down the street.  But it's also true that it's more difficult at first but your body adapts to a large extent and eventually gets used to it.   I never got used to it enough to do it five days a week like Dr. Mike does, but tried it more out of curiosity than going gungho with it.  It's a very welcome addition to my arsenal and if I'm any anecdote, it's probably as good as he says it is.

There may well be some specific health issues that some people have where eating every two or three hours is best for them.  Even when the science is in and the principle is sound, there's always an exception.  Another big take home message I've learned recently is that there is no universal diet that's best for everyone.  There are many great ideas and many opportunities for improvement but it remains important to listen to your body, respect the signals it transmits, and work with those signals rather than banging away against them, as if the signals are the problem.  Symptoms are there for a reason.  If doctors pay no attention to that reason, which is more rule than the exception these days, then they're not going to heal anything.  I guess if the only take home message this thread yields, it's for people not to abdicate the authority over their health to their doctors.  As we continue to learn more about health and are good neighbors and parents to each other, we're not going to be running to the white coats for another chemical every time something goes awry.   We're going to unleash a dozen other non-chemical things we can do on our own instead.   Women in particular want to own their own bodies, well taking charge of their own health would be a fabulous use of that ownership wouldn't it?

As a disclaimer to intermittent fasting I would agree that some people might have too much of a workload or energy load early in their day to leave the house without eating anything.  It'd probably be best for those folks to save it for the weekend.   Once their bodies adapt they may well find it easier to bleed it over into the weekdays, especially if weight-loss or brain-health are particularly important health goals.   I don't have another ounce to lose so I don't need it five days a week to maintain my current weight.  But I also know if I start exercising more, I'll also start eating more.  So I'll also probably gain some weight but it'll be healthy weight.  When I did P90X as a 170lber I gained weight (about 175lbs in 90 days) from the muscle mass gain of doing all the pull ups, squats, jumps and weights stuff.  My plan at this point is to take a more aerobic approach to exercise.  But always incorporate HIIT into almost everything I do.   That's imo the most magical quality about it.   You can almost seamlessly inject it into every exercise you do.  Take an MMA fight which is probably the most extreme example of HIIT there is, fighting in a cage.  Fighters go from short bursts of intense energy expenditure (like throwing combinations or kicks or shooting for a takedown) in between longer periods of relative rest.  They also train like they fight, and look how fit they are.  Fighters like the Diaz brothers are some of the fittest people on the planet.  And just look at the girls....o.m.g.  I don't want fake boobs and Botox injections, I want that.   Well, not a girl that can kick my ****, but just one that looks like that. :)

Did you ever get that water filter?  I still haven't yet but still planning on it kinda.  Maybe someone can get me one for Christmas?    I do buy my toothpaste from the health food store now though, fluoridated and non-F-, and I only use the fluoride paste < 50% of the time.  So I am cutting down on my fluoride ingestion mildly, but I'm also still drinking from the effing tap. :(

Wow a buck 50 hu? That's great man. Im one of those guys with a pretty wide upper chest. If I can get down to 180 again, that will be perfect. That's what I weighed in at at 22 years old, and was in the best shape of my life. im 190-5 depending on what time a day I check it.  This is my oldests sons last week of football, so im gonna be hitting the gym with him right away to get him ready for next year. Ha, truth is I don't really care about football next year, I just like making him feel like he's worth my time, and figure we can both benefit from that.

Yea I did get that water filter. Its working out great. You should definitely get one as soon as you can.  

18 hours ago, rashore said:

Hey preacher, could you cite the sources for that 90% consumption of all pharmaceuticals please? I've found some other statistics that vary from 50% of all pharms to 80% of just painkillers, but not a 90% of all pharms statistic.

It was on the video in the OP

19 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Wow a buck 50 hu? That's great man. Im one of those guys with a pretty wide upper chest. If I can get down to 180 again, that will be perfect. That's what I weighed in at at 22 years old, and was in the best shape of my life. im 190-5 depending on what time a day I check it.  This is my oldests sons last week of football, so im gonna be hitting the gym with him right away to get him ready for next year. Ha, truth is I don't really care about football next year, I just like making him feel like he's worth my time, and figure we can both benefit from that.

Yea I did get that water filter. Its working out great. You should definitely get one as soon as you can.  

The main reason I haven't got one yet is I'm waiting for a newer model.  One thing I don't like is the external sight glass on the faucet, and it would annoy me too much to use one without a sight glass.  But Berkey or Propur are the two gravity filters I'm considering.  I've seen one of these before in the flesh that had a sight glass molded into the body of the lower chamber and I couldn't find this on the market anywhere.  Maybe I'm being too picky man.  The other reason is the cost.  Right after I buy it, the one I really wanted will come out.   (It hasn't come out yet because I haven't bought one yet!).  Meanwhile you've been drinking much better water than I have for the past six months... yes I know.   You're right.

Good luck in the gym, it'll be great quality time together if you agree to motivate each other ahead of time.   Father and son lifting and spotting together would be awesome bonding.

• Like 1

If Americans take 80% of the world's painkillers, then those poor suffering people from that place called The Rest of the World.   Don't we feel their pain?  Oh that's right, we can't. 

They must be clamoring for more drugs to ease their pain.  Or what?  It's particularly painful to live in America?   Why are Americans in such pain beyond the pale?  

Let's say we don't know what percentage it is.  Now what percentage of the world's painkillers should Americans take? 

Speaking of medicine...and epidemics....if someone you love has "Leaky Gut" or any disease known to be caused by or associated with it, it might be a good idea to start taking some real medicine that actually heals the gut.  Dr. Axe nailed the technique down like a boss.

http://youtu.be/V43x4zt6Oc4

Personally I source organic meat and bones from my local farmer's market.  If that's not available, a few retailers like Whole Foods may carry organic bone stock in the freezer section.   Beef broth is also fantastic.  Alternating chicken and beef or combining the two may be even better because the collagen coverage is more complete.   Bone broth is not a complete protein, but it is a marvel for gaining and maintaining gut health.   I also load up the finished broth with additional vegetables after straining, and have a soup I can actually eat rather than just a broth to drink, but the broth is where the money is.  Figuratively speaking, of course.

• Like 1

we Chinese loves our broth and soups with the meals we do ... :yes:

~

• Like 1

Here in Westerland, the vegan rebels from the vegan church call it "corpse juice" and get triggered when their (and their dogs' and cats') vegan diet is even suggested to be compromised.   It's totally safe though, because their meds are probably vegan.

Another myth that people can't seem to shake off is that starch turns to sugar and sugar makes you fat.   So that explains all those obese Asians I've never seen before...that is, until they move to California and change their diet.  

Now whenever I see a Sumo wrestler I think, man that is A LOT OF RICE!   I haven't seen that much rice since I went to the Honda Civic car club.    

So now our athletes are "cupping" years after the media carried the cow (all-beef, no-broth) some people had over that.  Still, I won't be the least bit surprised if some 21st century official from teh committee finds some ridiculous excuse to make that against the roolz.  How hard is it to predict the future to be asking: Can't Michael Phelps just take a drug for those muscles (that isn't marijuana, or whatever the next threatening, unresearched, dangerous 'n illegal plant is)?    It's threatening alright though.   Threatening to their cash cow (all-bull, no-beef). 

• Like 1

Sumo diet myth debunked ...

Professional athletes don't get to the top by accident. It takes superhuman levels of time, dedication, and focus—and that includes paying attention to what they put in their bellies. In this series, GQ takes a look at what pro athletes in different sports eat on a daily basis to perform at their best. Here's a look at the daily diet of professional sumo wrestler Byambajav Ulambayar.

• Like 3

Most doctors will state Fasting is not healthy. And it is not, if weight comes of quickly, it will come back quickly, I work everyday with someone who is losing weight by eating 6 meals a day.

Cutting down on carbs (try to keep good carbs in the diet like Sweet Potato), preparation (choosing low flame point oils and any processing), removing sugar and processed food is all you need to do. If one wants to be healthy and lose weight, eat 4-6 meals a day, and make sure what you eat has two eyes or grows out of the ground, It really is that simple. Water instead of soft drink. Sandwich steak instead of a slice of Ham, Mountain Bread Wraps instead of white bread, snacks of nuts, protein shakes beef Jerky, Incorporate daily exercise and the results will stun anyone. It will take a couple of months, I would suggest a photo, take up a healthy diet as suggested, and then take another in three months time, if you are not amazed, then speaking from my own experience, I would be shocked.

Vegan/Vegetarian is a healthy choice that has to be well planned. Far to easy to miss vital proteins IMHO. Kids have died due to lack of knowledge and bad planning in this area, but I see little of the vegetarian movement mentioning that. Sure, it can be a healthy alternative, no two ways about it, one just needs to put more effort in. Same with cooking it seems, I have had delicious Vego meals, but they seem to take 4 or 5 times longer to prepare. If you can spare the time, and are thinking about it, go for it.

Detox is a bit of a sham too. If you do go to the trouble of cleaning up your diet dramatically for a few days, of course you will feel better as you concentrate healthy intake and ingest the right amount of water. Why wouldn't one? Do not think just certain companies are shaming the food industry, the so called healthy claims are too. 

I suggest do not listen to anyone, research for yourself, and see how it really works. Of course if one has a "big company" chip on their shoulder, then they are just reducing the amount of information available to them. Heck, you can get a Garden Salad or a Burger with no Bun wrapped in Lettuce Leaves instead today at McDonalds! Insisting big companies are evil is like refusing brand names because one does not want to conform. It is a personal situation that reflects little more than the persons own views. One should make choices based in real information, not attractive claims of quick health. Everything worthwhile takes effort.  

LINK - You can’t detox your body. It’s a myth. So how do you get healthy?

If toxins did build up in a way your body couldn’t excrete, he says, you’d likely be dead or in need of serious medical intervention. “The healthy body has kidneys, a liver, skin, even lungs that are detoxifying as we speak,” he says. “There is no known way – certainly not through detox treatments – to make something that works perfectly well in a healthy body work better.”

Much of the sales patter revolves around “toxins”: poisonous substances that you ingest or inhale. But it’s not clear exactly what these toxins are. If they were named they could be measured before and after treatment to test effectiveness. Yet, much like floaters in your eye, try to focus on these toxins and they scamper from view. In 2009, a network of scientists assembled by the UK charity Sense about Science contacted the manufacturers of 15 products sold in pharmacies and supermarkets that claimed to detoxify. The products ranged from dietary supplements to smoothies and shampoos. When the scientists asked for evidence behind the claims, not one of the manufacturers could define what they meant by detoxification, let alone name the toxins.

LINK - Homeopathy effective for 0 out of 68 illnesses, study finds

Homeopathy is an alternative medicine based on the idea of diluting a substance in water. According to the NHS: “Practitioners believe that the more a substance is diluted in this way, the greater its power to treat symptoms. Many homeopathic remedies consist of substances that have been diluted many times in water until there is none or almost none of the original substance left.” 

LINK - Why Eating More (Not Less) Can Help You Lose Weight

This loss of muscle mass slows down your metabolism. That's because the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn at rest (i.e., binge watching your new favorite show). To make matters worse, research has found that restricting your food can make you irritable and uncomfortable, aka hangry. This stress can cause a rise in cortisol, which increases the storage of visceral fat cells in areas like your stomach. This response is the complete opposite of what we try to achieve from dieting!

So, in case you've been curious about this trend of intermittent fasting, I have three words for you: Don’t do it.

If you’re looking to lose weight (and keep it off permanently), eat more, not less. Here are some tips to get you started:

1. Start your day with a big breakfast and snack about three hours later.

Maybe nosh on a piece of fruit or some whole wheat crackers with peanut butter.

2. Have lunch at a reasonable time and snack about three hours after that.

Perhaps some carrot sticks and hummus? That way you can snack and eat your veggies!

3. Your dinner should probably be the smallest of your meals.

Aim to fill half your plate with vegetables and about a cup of rice or pasta.

4. Hungry before bed? Having a light snack won't wreck your waistline.

Reach for whole grains and lean protein instead of potato chips and cookies.

5. Listen to your body! If you’re hungry … EAT!

Don’t get to the point of absolute ravenous hunger or (chances are) you’ll overdo it. If you’re hungry at an unusual hour, drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. Sometimes the body registers dehydration as hunger. If the hunger goes away, you were dehydrated. If it doesn’t, ask yourself, Am I really hungry or am I just bored?” If it’s just boredom, keep yourself distracted. If you are hungry, go ahead and eat something … your body will love you for it!

This one especially for you Yamato.

LINK - Can Starch Turn Into Sugar?

Starch Composition

Starches are polysaccharides, which plants store as energy reserves. Starches contain 300 to 1,000 conjoined units of glucose, a type of sugar. Your body must break starches down before it can use their glucose for energy. Starches and other complex carbohydrates, including soluble and insoluble dietary fiber, take longer to digest than simple carbohydrates, or sugars, which your body can use for energy immediately.

Starch Digestion

During digestion, enzymes in your body break starches down, turning them into glucose. Your body can then use the glucose for energy immediately or store it in the liver or muscles. Starch digestion begins in the mouth, where enzymes in your saliva start to turn starch into sugar.

sC9QF_BaXsDfmm29UHpnguER5vgmzZRCNs6xpyuI

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Most doctors will state Fasting is not healthy. And it is not, if weight comes of quickly, it will come back quickly, I work everyday with someone who is losing weight by eating 6 meals a day.

Cutting down on carbs (try to keep good carbs in the diet like Sweet Potato), preparation (choosing low flame point oils and any processing), removing sugar and processed food is all you need to do. If one wants to be healthy and lose weight, eat 4-6 meals a day, and make sure what you eat has two eyes or grows out of the ground, It really is that simple. Water instead of soft drink. Sandwich steak instead of a slice of Ham, Mountain Bread Wraps instead of white bread, snacks of nuts, protein shakes beef Jerky, Incorporate daily exercise and the results will stun anyone. It will take a couple of months, I would suggest a photo, take up a healthy diet as suggested, and then take another in three months time, if you are not amazed, then speaking from my own experience, I would be shocked.

Vegan/Vegetarian is a healthy choice that has to be well planned. Far to easy to miss vital proteins IMHO. Kids have died due to lack of knowledge and bad planning in this area, but I see little of the vegetarian movement mentioning that. Sure, it can be a healthy alternative, no two ways about it, one just needs to put more effort in. Same with cooking it seems, I have had delicious Vego meals, but they seem to take 4 or 5 times longer to prepare. If you can spare the time, and are thinking about it, go for it.

Detox is a bit of a sham too. If you do go to the trouble of cleaning up your diet dramatically for a few days, of course you will feel better as you concentrate healthy intake and ingest the right amount of water. Why wouldn't one? Do not think just certain companies are shaming the food industry, the so called healthy claims are too. 

I suggest do not listen to anyone, research for yourself, and see how it really works. Of course if one has a "big company" chip on their shoulder, then they are just reducing the amount of information available to them. Heck, you can get a Garden Salad or a Burger with no Bun wrapped in Lettuce Leaves instead today at McDonalds! Insisting big companies are evil is like refusing brand names because one does not want to conform. It is a personal situation that reflects little more than the persons own views. One should make choices based in real information, not attractive claims of quick health. Everything worthwhile takes effort.  

LINK - You can’t detox your body. It’s a myth. So how do you get healthy?

If toxins did build up in a way your body couldn’t excrete, he says, you’d likely be dead or in need of serious medical intervention. “The healthy body has kidneys, a liver, skin, even lungs that are detoxifying as we speak,” he says. “There is no known way – certainly not through detox treatments – to make something that works perfectly well in a healthy body work better.”

Much of the sales patter revolves around “toxins”: poisonous substances that you ingest or inhale. But it’s not clear exactly what these toxins are. If they were named they could be measured before and after treatment to test effectiveness. Yet, much like floaters in your eye, try to focus on these toxins and they scamper from view. In 2009, a network of scientists assembled by the UK charity Sense about Science contacted the manufacturers of 15 products sold in pharmacies and supermarkets that claimed to detoxify. The products ranged from dietary supplements to smoothies and shampoos. When the scientists asked for evidence behind the claims, not one of the manufacturers could define what they meant by detoxification, let alone name the toxins.

LINK - Homeopathy effective for 0 out of 68 illnesses, study finds

Homeopathy is an alternative medicine based on the idea of diluting a substance in water. According to the NHS: “Practitioners believe that the more a substance is diluted in this way, the greater its power to treat symptoms. Many homeopathic remedies consist of substances that have been diluted many times in water until there is none or almost none of the original substance left.” 

LINK - Why Eating More (Not Less) Can Help You Lose Weight

This loss of muscle mass slows down your metabolism. That's because the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn at rest (i.e., binge watching your new favorite show). To make matters worse, research has found that restricting your food can make you irritable and uncomfortable, aka hangry. This stress can cause a rise in cortisol, which increases the storage of visceral fat cells in areas like your stomach. This response is the complete opposite of what we try to achieve from dieting!

So, in case you've been curious about this trend of intermittent fasting, I have three words for you: Don’t do it.

If you’re looking to lose weight (and keep it off permanently), eat more, not less. Here are some tips to get you started:

1. Start your day with a big breakfast and snack about three hours later.

Maybe nosh on a piece of fruit or some whole wheat crackers with peanut butter.

2. Have lunch at a reasonable time and snack about three hours after that.

Perhaps some carrot sticks and hummus? That way you can snack and eat your veggies!

3. Your dinner should probably be the smallest of your meals.

Aim to fill half your plate with vegetables and about a cup of rice or pasta.

4. Hungry before bed? Having a light snack won't wreck your waistline.

Reach for whole grains and lean protein instead of potato chips and cookies.

5. Listen to your body! If you’re hungry … EAT!

Don’t get to the point of absolute ravenous hunger or (chances are) you’ll overdo it. If you’re hungry at an unusual hour, drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. Sometimes the body registers dehydration as hunger. If the hunger goes away, you were dehydrated. If it doesn’t, ask yourself, Am I really hungry or am I just bored?” If it’s just boredom, keep yourself distracted. If you are hungry, go ahead and eat something … your body will love you for it!

This one especially for you Yamato.

LINK - Can Starch Turn Into Sugar?

Starch Composition

Starches are polysaccharides, which plants store as energy reserves. Starches contain 300 to 1,000 conjoined units of glucose, a type of sugar. Your body must break starches down before it can use their glucose for energy. Starches and other complex carbohydrates, including soluble and insoluble dietary fiber, take longer to digest than simple carbohydrates, or sugars, which your body can use for energy immediately.

Starch Digestion

During digestion, enzymes in your body break starches down, turning them into glucose. Your body can then use the glucose for energy immediately or store it in the liver or muscles. Starch digestion begins in the mouth, where enzymes in your saliva start to turn starch into sugar.

sC9QF_BaXsDfmm29UHpnguER5vgmzZRCNs6xpyuI

Very well said :tsu:

I believe in and do/teach much as the same as you do...

4-6 meals a day,i have seen far more people become lean and strong that way than any other!

Most vegans/vegetarians i know are healthy as far as stats but many are "skinnyfat" for some reason...

High quality lean protein,good carbs,and healthy fats are all needed to be ones best!

• Like 1

Depends on the activity one goes through and the metabolism rate one is used to ... I can't stress that enough ... I weigh as much now as I did when I was 25 ... there was a period when I weighed a bit more during my 30's on account of the boozing and being a full time couch vegetable binging on movies and games ... now in my 50's I do very little gaming and movies with a little less boozing ... I think there is too much false information being dished out on the table in regards to fasting ... better to define what they're saying 'exactly' by what they mean one way or another ...

Detoxing is also imperative to the body ... why it is being put on the menu as myth is beyond me ... I figure its that time frame bracket 'fact'

It doesn't work if its not a lifelong strategy ... detoxing a day in a year every ten years of course is false ... but as a lifelong habit .. every other week depending on ones regular diet and habits ... it sure as hell makes for a heaven of a difference ... no need for magical supplements or fantastic hundred dollars health care regiments either ...

~

• Like 1