Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Power of Belief?

Unfortunately

19 minutes ago, back to earth said:

check the 'likes'  on the comment dude ..... you seem to have an issue with agreed upon opinion .   

yet again another failed attempt at what ever it is you sometimes seem to be trying to do here . 

I mean , mate, if you have an issue, or even just if you feel like it for some reason ... take a shot .... come at me ... I can handle it . 

But dont come at with with silly stuff that can be batted away like a fly .   get your act together first , and you might get somewhere .

Image result for fighting fail gif

Huh ? Is this your mental health issue you speak of having, coming to the fore ? Babble-on bro !

Oh ... great response there ....  brilliant reposte   .... I am intellectually  defeated ... again !      

2 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Oh ... great response there ....  brilliant reposte   .... I am intellectually  defeated ... again !      

Well, let me just add this, your over-frequent use of "we" instead of "I", is mildly annoying, but to then come on and suggest I look at the "likes", as if that validates it, is a trifle pathetic. And of course there was no "like" there when you typed it ! Carry on !

1 hour ago, back to earth said:

yes, it IS directed at you Walker !    and at least 5 other  people seem to agree with it !   What, do I have to get in your face and shout and poke you in the chest while I am saying it ?

The above is just more walkerwaffle and stories to try and mask the really bad thing you wrote .   

no amount of words and BS will cover that up, its on the record here now and cant be erased or written over ... so bad luck buddy .

Now carry on writing more  attempted cover up BS .   We know full well what your attitudes are Walker  ! 

What bad thing?  That is perception and you have no idea what I am thinking, EXCEPT via what you call walker waffle, which is my description of my ACTUAL thoughts and values.  Just because you feel something strongly doesn't make it, or you, right  

So where did i write something "bad"?

Say What do you disagree with in my response and why. Then we can debate your values versus my own.   Do you think a woman should be compelled NOT to wear clothing she feels comfortable and safe wearing?  Apart from the need for identification in specific places do you support a woman's right to go veiled if she wants to, or to wear a hair scarf? Do you think people should be forced by law not to wear or display clothing or symbols which represent their beliefs? How do you feel about Amish values and lifestyles.?  Who is really seeking to impose belief driven values on others, here? 

You know NOTHING,  which is evident in the misrepresentations, inaccuracies, and lack of specific points, when you deal with me in your posts. You see a certain type of person and you judge by that constructed image  you hold of me.   Try reading and understanding alternative points of view, for a change, rather than taking the easy path of letting your prejudices dominate your responses. . 

40 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Well, let me just add this, your over-frequent use of "we" instead of "I", is mildly annoying, but to then come on and suggest I look at the "likes", as if that validates it, is a trifle pathetic. And of course there was no "like" there when you typed it ! Carry on !

With pleasure I will carry on ;   I said we as others had the same opinion.  They were the ones that validated the comment ..... unless they just like me because I am so handsome and they like anything I say :)   

and there was no like there when I typed it ?   Well, when they appeared later, it just proved my point that I already knew didnt it . 

Also  we are forming a consensus opinion of you ...... you cant tell me you dont notice the ever increasing number f people that pick you up on your disjointed and silly argumentative points and declare , yet again, another   of us has out you on ignore . 

You might insist the tide is not rising .... but that will never stop it 

Image result for he commanded the tide to stop rising

" No no !  My feet are not getting wet  !  "           :D   

1 minute ago, back to earth said:

With pleasure I will carry on ;   I said we as others had the same opinion.  They were the ones that validated the comment ..... unless they just like me because I am so handsome and they like anything I say :)   

and there was no like there when I typed it ?   Well, when they appeared later, it just proved my point that I already knew didnt it . 

Also  we are forming a consensus opinion of you ...... you cant tell me you dont notice the ever increasing number f people that pick you up on your disjointed and silly argumentative points and declare , yet again, another   of us has out you on ignore . 

You might insist the tide is not rising .... but that will never stop it 

If I should become concerned by the "consensus" opinion that "we" are forming, I will remind myself that Hitler once had a lot of "likes" !

28 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

What bad thing?

Go back and read the post you made that I first commented on and see if you can link the two together .  and stop playing all dumb and innocent about it . 

That is perception and you have no idea what I am thinking

No ?  I was just going on what you wrote .   

, EXCEPT via what you call walker waffle, which is my description of my ACTUAL thoughts and values.  Just because you feel something strongly doesn't make it, or you, right  

Nope. Yu are doing again right here , avoiding the issue and trying to cover it with piles of waffle .

So where did i write something "bad"?

read my comment after your post  that started this one .

Say What do you disagree with in my response and why.

I already did , stop playing games !  If you had a response or a question to that, you could have posted my initial response and queried it ... without the fluff filler 

Then we can debate your values versus my own.   Do you think a woman should be compelled NOT to wear clothing she feels comfortable and safe wearing?  Apart from the need for identification in specific places do you support a woman's right to go veiled if she wants to, or to wear a hair scarf? Do you think people should be forced by law not to wear or display clothing or symbols which represent their beliefs? How do you feel about Amish values and lifestyles.?  Who is really seeking to impose belief driven values on others, here? 

You know NOTHING,  which is evident in the misrepresentations, inaccuracies, and lack of specific points, when you deal with me in your posts. You see a certain type of person and you judge by that constructed image  you hold of me.

Absolute rubbish !       I judge you on what you post, which is quite transparent ... you act as if I am the only one saying this here .... and you say the same thing to all the others that have said the same .  Its too old a game now , and you are too exposed to bluff your way through . 

Try reading and understanding alternative points of view, for a change, rather than taking the easy path of letting your prejudices dominate your responses. . 

I do that all the time ... and once again Walker , for the upteenth time (that you refuse to see )  it isnt the actual difference in point of view ... its the way you carry on, and other posters have pointed that out to you in detail over a long period here . You know that ! 

How pathetic. A man who seems to have run out of butterflies to pull the wings off, trying to torment Mr Walker with incessant dissection of what he has decided is waffle ! Why persist ?

P.S......what do you call a butterfly that back to earth has pulled the wings off ? A butterwalk ! Or perhaps, a buttermisterwalker !

Edited by Habitat

Why persist ?    I wasnt . I had him on ignore ... and he was supposed to have me on ignore too .   But he couldnt help himself ; he started looking and commenting on my posts while I still had him on ignore ad he was supposed to have me on ignore  . Others  told me about that . I had a look and there he was .... had been posting and commenting all along  ... cant help himself .  . 

If he really ignores me and butts out ... I will put him back on ignore too .    It was working fine ... but he cheated . 

4 hours ago, back to earth said:

yes, it IS directed at you Walker !    and at least 5 other  people seem to agree with it !   What, do I have to get in your face and shout and poke you in the chest while I am saying it ?

The above is just more walkerwaffle and stories to try and mask the really bad thing you wrote .   

no amount of words and BS will cover that up, its on the record here now and cant be erased or written over ... so bad luck buddy .

Now carry on writing more  attempted cover up BS .   We know full well what your attitudes are Walker  ! 

Extra comment on re reading this. I Wonder if you even read what I write  or just jump t a conclusion based on prejudice.

. I was supporting the right of women not to wear clothing which oppresses them, but also  pointing out that women can be oppressed by those who want them to wear less clothing, rather than more.

Any man who demands that a woman wear what he wants them to wear, is exercising a form of oppression. Even women who demand other women conform, are doing this, but because men continue to dominate power and authority in many countries, it is more of a male problem than a  female  one.

It  also goes much wider than this. Any cultural norm will oppress the members of a society who do not conform to that norm, UNLESS the society is tolerant of different beliefs, values, and perspectives.    

2 hours ago, back to earth said:

Go back and read the post you made that I first commented on and see if you can link the two together .  and stop playing all dumb and innocent about it . 

No ?  I was just going on what you wrote .   

Nope. Yu are doing again right here , avoiding the issue and trying to cover it with piles of waffle .

read my comment after your post  that started this one .

I already did , stop playing games !  If you had a response or a question to that, you could have posted my initial response and queried it ... without the fluff filler 

Absolute rubbish !       I judge you on what you post, which is quite transparent ... you act as if I am the only one saying this here .... and you say the same thing to all the others that have said the same .  Its too old a game now , and you are too exposed to bluff your way through . 

I do that all the time ... and once again Walker , for the upteenth time (that you refuse to see )  it isnt the actual difference in point of view ... its the way you carry on, and other posters have pointed that out to you in detail over a long period here . You know that ! 

Sorry but i cannot see any direct or indirect mention of what you found bad or offensive. I think you totally misread my post because of your extreme prejudices. You haven't answered a single one of my specific questions, asked in an attempt to work out what you are upset by. Do you agree that women should be able to wear what they wish and not be forced by  either law or custom to conform to  the beliefs and values of others?

.   Do you think a woman has a right to wear clothing in which she feels most comfortable and safe.?

Do you think a woman has the right not to think of herself a s a sexual object and to refuse to accept cultural expectations that all women are  defined by their physical appearance?

How do YOU think about women? As sexual objects, or as humans with minds and  the right to define who they wish to be, and how they wish to be seen?  

Do you mean THIS post 

so,  I  make a post about women  ( some in their early 20s ) who are giving their lives in Peshwara ( they sign up for life, or until killed )  to defend women and children from ISIS rape, public beheadings and torture,  stopping a genocide  and show how there is a history of women defending against Arabic Islamic barbarism ..... and now , 

... and this is the comment you have to offer ?  

Shame !        

" ... we defend everyone ... no matter what race or religion they are."

YOU might know what was in your mind when you wrote this, but it is not apparent to me.  NO where do you explain what you found bad or offensive, when i wrote in reply  that i believe women have the right to  choose what they wear or do not wear and NO one else has that right.  (no one has the right to force a woman to take off her veil, or to dress in a way she finds immodest and demeaning. This is the same right that  a woman has to refuse to wear a veil or comply with  how others want her to appear. ) This extends to more significant rights, like the right to the way they express themselves sexually, or  how they chose to behave in their society.  

Edited by Mr Walker

2 hours ago, Habitat said:

If I should become concerned by the "consensus" opinion that "we" are forming, I will remind myself that Hitler once had a lot of "likes" !

I knew you would get there eventually      ;)  

c00.png

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Habitat said:

How pathetic. A man who seems to have run out of butterflies to pull the wings off, trying to torment Mr Walker with incessant dissection of what he has decided is waffle ! Why persist ?

P.S......what do you call a butterfly that back to earth has pulled the wings off ? A butterwalk ! Or perhaps, a buttermisterwalker !

Nope, wrong again ... one thing I will say for Walker ..... he dont let no one pull his wings off !    regardless ... hell or high water, logic or not .....

He will still be flying   ( and maybe even through walls too !  ) 

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Walker ......   you broke my posting box   !     Image result for shake fist emoticon

Edited by back to earth

But just to stop this particular red herring catterwallin 

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

Sorry but i cannot see any direct or indirect mention of what you found bad or offensive. I think you totally misread my post because of your extreme prejudices. You haven't answered a single one of my specific questions, asked in an attempt to work out what you are upset by. Do you agree that women should be able to wear what they wish and not be forced by  either law or custom to conform to  the beliefs and values of others?

To an extent  ......     We have laws that say some clothes should be worn in public.  

.   Do you think a woman has a right to wear clothing in which she feels most comfortable and safe.?

yes.

Do you think a woman has the right not to think of herself a s a sexual object and to refuse to accept cultural expectations that all women are  defined by their physical appearance?

yes ...

How do YOU think about women?

In images . 

As sexual objects, or as humans with minds and  the right to define who they wish to be, and how they wish to be seen?  

Not as 'sexual objects' .

Do you mean THIS post 

so,  I  make a post about women  ( some in their early 20s ) who are giving their lives in Peshwara ( they sign up for life, or until killed )  to defend women and children from ISIS rape, public beheadings and torture,  stopping a genocide  and show how there is a history of women defending against Arabic Islamic barbarism ..... and now , 

... and this is the comment you have to offer ?  

Shame !        

" ... we defend everyone ... no matter what race or religion they are."

YOU might know what was in your mind when you wrote this, but it is not apparent to me.  NO where do you explain what you found bad or offensive, when i wrote in reply  that i believe women have the right to  choose what they wear or do not wear and NO one else has that right.  (no one has the right to force a woman to take off her veil, or to dress in a way she finds immodest and demeaning. This is the same right that  a woman has to refuse to wear a veil or comply with  how others want her to appear. ) This extends to more significant rights, like the right to the way they express themselves sexually, or  how they chose to behave in their society.  

Its half missing for some reason   Well . on my screen it is . 

How on earth did you do that ?  :huh:

6 hours ago, Habitat said:

Godwin's Law strikes again!

• Like 3

On 10/29/2016 at 0:32 AM, aka CAT said:

The bottom line is that one need suspend disbelief long enough to earnestly seek a relationship with God.  To do so is to receive affirmations of one's faith over time.  While it might help to read the bible, inspirational stories and/or about saints, it is only dwelling in the Holy Dopamine Spirit that makes it real to the individual (much as one's opening his heart to love makes not only love knowable but a man human).

It+s+true+that+dopamine+causes+happiness

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Godwin's Law strikes again!

I cant believe he did that ... well, actually, after considering his posting record here that WE all observe  .....

I  can believe he wrote that                  :)  

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

odds are its a placebo effect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdealJustice said:

odds are its a placebo effect.

"Dopamine (DA) is suggested to improve perceptual and cognitive decisions by increasing the signal-to-noise ratio. Somewhat paradoxically, a hyperdopaminergia (arguably more accentuated in the right hemisphere) has also been implied in the genesis of unusual experiences such as hallucinations and paranormal thought."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/196428837dd.gif

• Like 1

The placebo effect.

https://www.verywell.com/what-is-the-placebo-effect-2795466

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brain-sense/201201/the-placebo-effect-how-it-works

If we were to extend the placebo effect outside of the medical field then it's also how 'faith healing' works. Basically through suggestion and belief. Same for the nocebo effect. With religion it depends on the emotional attachment to the concept you're working with. However placebos are not a cure for anything. They can mask symptoms. Nocebo effects can be see in such things as being 'cursed' where you make the curse a reality and further fuel that belief through association and confirmation. 

• Like 1

On 08/11/2016 at 3:17 PM, back to earth said:

But just to stop this particular red herring catterwallin 

To an extent  ......     We have laws that say some clothes should be worn in public.  

yes.

yes ...

In images . 

Not as 'sexual objects' .

Its half missing for some reason   Well . on my screen it is . 

How on earth did you do that ?  :huh:

Thank you for those responses  That is what i was saying in the post you took offence at, Perhaps not unexpectedly, we strongly agree on these principles.   Except  that, unfortunate I cannot see images of women in my mind at all . 

Don't know why the posting is so crappy, but since the  last reformatting of the web site  I am having a lot of glitches   For example about one time in 10,  when i try to quote a post   i keep getting previously posted posts reappearing,  rather than the one I am trying to respond to,  meaning i cant respond to any post without this popping up. The only way to remove  it is to delete the content, and put in a new comment, like "double post",  or " stupid computer" :)  then save and exit.  . Even if i swap threads, or turn the computer off and on it pops up again the next time i try to respond to a post.  Yesterday i twice lost  a whole response which i had already written and saved and posted when i added on a small piece and resaved. The whole post disappeared except for my name, even though it had already been saved and posted  before. . 

. Ps ask your self, WHy do we have those particular laws about wearing clothes in public.  In other words,what beliefs and values drive such laws?  What is inherently morally or ethically wrong with humans going naked in public? (Apart of course, from a sense of good taste/aesthetic appreciation,  and  the problems which might result from uncontainable public laughter. ) 

Edited by Mr Walker