Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Afghan Girl Arrested

MissJatti

National Geographic Icon Girl Arrested

Sorry If I posted in the wrong place.

But what the hell is the world coming too, icon Nat Geo girl arrested

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/26/asia/afghan-girl-iconic-photo-arrest-trnd/

• Like 3

She was a refugee in Pakistan when the picture was taken, she probably crossed the border back and forth a good number of times over the last 30 years. The region is no stable by any understanding of the word, the borders are porous, and people will try their best to stay alive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissJatti said:

But what the hell is the world coming too, icon Nat Geo girl arrested

No offense intended to you miss Jatti but.... huh?  She could be an ax murderer or a saint for all we know of her.  I get that people think of "icons" as familiar faces but it doesn't mean we "know" them.  The only thing I gleaned from this story is that the girl grew up hard in a hard world and it shows on her face.  That she is even still alive is pretty remarkable, I'd think.

• Like 5

Here's more info on her arrest:

The woman, Sharbat Gula, was arrested at her residence in the northwestern city of Peshawar after more than a year of investigation, said Shahid Ilyas, the assistant director of the Federal Investigation Authority. “We raided the house and picked her up,” he said. “It took us a while to collect all the evidence against her, and the officials involved in helping her and her two sons get Pakistani national identity cards.” He added, “We have the evidence now, and we are going to go for prosecution.”

The arrest came as the Pakistani authorities were cracking down on Afghans with illegal national identity cards. The authorities said Ms. Gula had illegally obtained a Pakistani identity card in 1988 and a computerized identity card in 2014, while retaining her Afghan passport, which she used in 2014 to travel to Saudi Arabia for the hajj.

She faces up to 14 years in prison and a fine of $3,000 to $5,000 if she is convicted, according to the Dawn news agency.

Her arrest goes to the heart of an ordeal confronting many Afghan refugees who fled across the border into Pakistan because of decades of war. The Pakistani crackdown on Afghans appears to have intensified since May, when the former Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour was killed in a drone strike in Baluchistan Province.

Source: The New York Times

• Like 2

Thanks for the information Clair.

Yes I know that a familiar face, doesn't have to be a happy face. she had it rough for all I know, and probably did bad things.  But it is a shame that this familiar face is going though a tough time.

• Like 5