Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could a dead astronaut spread life to Mars ?

UM-Bot

I'm not sure if any bacteria or whatever could survive in Mar's atmosphere. If that wasn't a factor, I'd guess it could

1 hour ago, jarjarbinks said:

Yes it could. That's how life got here on Earth as seen in the movie Prometheus.

You beat me on that. 

I was going to say that someone paid too much attention to Prometheus. 

I wonder how the microbe(s) would survive entry into and atmosphere.

This may sound a tad morbid - but if someone like an astronaut did die in space whilst still wearing the space suit. I wonder if the same process of decomposition would take place as we know it - as it does here on earth ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Astra. said:

This may sound a tad morbid - but if someone like an astronaut did die in space whilst still wearing the space suit. I wonder if the same process of decomposition would take place as we know it - as it does here on earth ?

My curiosity in regards to my question has been satisfied.

If you do die in space, your body will not decompose in the normal way, since there is no oxygen. If you were near a source of heat, your body would mummify; if you were not, it would freeze.

If your body was sealed in a space suit, it would decompose, but only for as long as the oxygen lasted. Whichever the condition, though, your body would last for a very, very long time without air to facilitate weathering and degradation. Your corpse could drift in the vast expanse of space for millions of years.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-happens-to-the-unprotected-human-body-in-space/

• Like 1