Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I believe is psychics and mediums but...

ParaGirlsHauntedDiary

How come it hasn't been 100% proven?

Don't get me wrong, I totally believe that some are gifted enough to sense spirits and other things, but when it comes down to proving 100% to the world that there is such things, how come no one has achieved that? xx

Because for one there's no money in it (unless you want to sell books). Secondly we've learned an awful lot about how our minds work. How it processes information, it's likes to make sense out of something that doesn't. We can see 'ghost' due to several reasons, same for hearing voices. Some abilities are nothing more than reading body language or creating a placebo effect.

For instance if you want to 'feel' energy moving from your arms to your shoulders, then forming a ball between your hands you will. Repeating these thoughts over and over though visualization you create a psychosomatic effect based on expectation. Eventually you do feel the energy and feel the 'psi' ball. But this is just a product of your imagination. 

Plus it's too easy to trick people when you claim to be a psychic, you've got to find the right people though.

• Like 9

To add what xenofish is saying there is an experiment called Phantom Limb. The mind can convince it self of many things and the Phantom Limb is a best example.  I have posted a video to give you an example (It is not mine) or you could just google it.

• Like 7

BTW, glad to have you back here, Brian Topp.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2016 at 11:17 PM, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

BTW, glad to have you back here, Brian Topp.

Yes. Birdemic is not the same without Brian Topp.

A8Mm7m.gif

• Like 2

On 11/4/2016 at 9:18 AM, ParaGirlsHauntedDiary said:

I totally believe that some are gifted enough to sense spirits and other things

You would  be an ideal candidate for the alleged psychics and mediums. There are some who truly believe they can see "things", but there are more who have the ability to read body language and pick up on peoples emotions, coupled with the fact that many people who call in an alleged psychic to their home because they believe there is a ghost, have already given the alleged psychic the biggest payout = a belief, and they pray on this and know that once you are a believer, then all logic like "lets check your electrics first" or " you have a lot of old wood in this house" is never going to come into it.

They will give you exactly what you want, and that is you are haunted, your beliefs are true  and for a fee they will get rid of the spirit for you.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:18 PM, ParaGirlsHauntedDiary said:

Don't get me wrong, I totally believe that some are gifted enough to sense spirits and other things, but when it comes down to proving 100% to the world that there is such things, how come no one has achieved that? xx

that's because there is no one in the world that is gifted that way.. anyone who says they are is either A a gifted BS artist or B misguided.

actually when I get home I will set up a bit of a experiment for those who 'think' they can astra travel or remote view and that kind of nonsense.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2016 at 9:18 AM, ParaGirlsHauntedDiary said:

Because it's not true. That's the short answer.

You can't prove something that doesn't exist. There are people who for a variety of reasons, claim that they're psychic, and there are even more who, again for many different reasons, want to believe them. But, when it comes down to actually proving it under observation it can't and won't be done. 

Remember, the sorts of places that recount these apparently amazing examples of precognitive and psychic abilities as accurate, never subject themselves to scrutiny. And it's easy to trick yourself into believing something if you want it to be true. 

Try finding one example of a medium or psychic coming up with the goods that's been tested objectively. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:18 AM, ParaGirlsHauntedDiary said:

I'm sure it will all be explained one day.  It is not the first time that science has played catch-up.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2016 at 8:48 AM, acute said:

I'm sure it will all be explained one day.  It is not the first time that science has played catch-up.

Actually the thing is... It's most likely already been proven... to not exist.

It will never be "Misspelled" because just like the mental and brain structure reasons that we know what causes most of it.. Those same reasons mean that some people will always believe in it.

-

The reason it will never be proven 100% Because its not real.

The reason that people will always believe in it... Because people are stupid.

3 minutes ago, blackstarraven said:

:huh: No-one we know, I hope ?

Just now, Habitat said:

:huh: No-one we know, I hope ?

No..  not directed at any one person. Just you know.. any group of people.. your going to have people who want to believe is stuff...

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:13 AM, blackstarraven said:

Actually the thing is... It's most likely already been proven... to not exist.

It will never be "Misspelled" because just like the mental and brain structure reasons that we know what causes most of it.. Those same reasons mean that some people will always believe in it.

-

The reason it will never be proven 100% Because its not real.

Hu? That's not true. Its foolish to believe in people who start to examine a subject from a pre conceived notion. That goes for both sides of the subject.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Hu? That's not true. Its foolish to believe in people who start to examine a subject from a pre conceived notion. That goes for both sides of the subject.

Has little to nothing to do with Pre-Conceived Notions.

People who have looked into it without Pre-Conceived notions more or less agree... There's no objective evidence that such abilities exist.

And the ideal that they are just saying that to be jerks is stupid.

Most scientists would crap themselves in joy to find proof that something like that exists. They would be famous and rich.

Yet the only people who say they can/have proved it, clearly just want to be Famous and Rich. And then cant stand up to peer review...

Case and point. There are actually interesting unexplained phenomenon that some humans show. And Scientists acknowledge them and study them.. but they don't just jump up and say "Well this Monk can do cool stuff while meditating.. Clearly Jedi's are real."

The problem with the subject is that all the people who are pro are from the pre-conceived notion part.

The Against has those people.. but it also has a lot of people who did there work correctly.

-

But again. Never going to convince people... Can't disprove a negative. And some people just don't know / can't except that.

Edited by blackstarraven

22 hours ago, blackstarraven said:

Has little to nothing to do with Pre-Conceived Notions.

It has everything to do with pre conceived notions. Personally when it comes to this subject, I have no dog in the fight. I've never been to, or even considered seeing, let alone paying for such a service. I've had a little fun with members here, but that's about as far as that goes. However I see the same attitude here as I do with those who seek to debunk astral projection. When I first started in that field, the consensus was that it just flat out didn't exist. When faced with overwhelming personal experiences, they shifted the goal post to say it was just hallucinations. They never once started with the possibility that it could be happening. Same with this. Just cause some people have been exposed as frauds, doesn't mean in every case they are. This, like all paranormal experiences comes down to personal experience. I've heard of many encounters where people, heck flat out skeptics were convinced by the end of their session that said medium had actually communicated with the deceased. At what point do those experiences add up to credibility?

People who have looked into it without Pre-Conceived notions more or less agree... There's no objective evidence that such abilities exist.

And the ideal that they are just saying that to be jerks is stupid.

I never said anything about anyone being a jerk. I just think like most people there are some in the science community that believe in just as much dogma as a southern Baptist preacher. I also believe there are some scientists who do believe in any number of possibilities, but wont say so in fear of losing their credibility. More importantly their funding.

Most scientists would crap themselves in joy to find proof that something like that exists. They would be famous and rich.

Yet the only people who say they can/have proved it, clearly just want to be Famous and Rich. And then cant stand up to peer review...

Why would a scientist become rich for proving someone else has abilities? It doesn't even matter what their reaction would be, cause the only opinion they will give is that of their financers. 90% of the time that's government. Besides, how many people have even been put to the test? Maybe people who actually have such abilities are not interested in being rich and famous. Chances are these would be very spiritual people who might not think such things are important. Like those folks who come back from near death experiences who couldn't care less about the material world.

Case and point. There are actually interesting unexplained phenomenon that some humans show. And Scientists acknowledge them and study them.. but they don't just jump up and say "Well this Monk can do cool stuff while meditating.. Clearly Jedi's are real."

Now that's a hell of a straw man. Well done.

The problem with the subject is that all the people who are pro are from the pre-conceived notion part.

The Against has those people.. but it also has a lot of people who did there work correctly.

-

But again. Never going to convince people... Can't disprove a negative. And some people just don't know / can't except that.

"All" of the people who believe this is possible are not coming from pre conceived notions. There are also a lot of people who are just open to idea's such as this. Who aren't saying one way or another they know anything for a fact. Who don't hold any dogmatic beliefs for or against. I've had a couple experiences that many would consider not possible. Not real. From where I stand I know they are wrong. That makes me a little more open to other possibilities such as people have extra senses. An people who approach this with the idea that it isn't possible are just to close minded for me to say what they think holds water.

Edited by preacherman76

For me none of the psychics or medium or whatever they wish to call themselves    have never been useful, think of it why they dont contact Einstein, Newton or tesla feed them new developments in science and get their views and possible solutions? I guess in heaven they have access to paper and pencil to scribble equations. Think about it, give it a few minutes. 

12 minutes ago, kartikg said:

I guess in heaven they have access to paper and pencil to scribble equations. Think about it, give it a few minutes.

Hmm, thought about it.

Unless  the alleged heaven have the means to make the paper and pencils then I would guess, nope.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:18 AM, ParaGirlsHauntedDiary said:

I think it already is pretty much has been proven. Check out the experiments on gifted mediums by Dr. Gary Schwartz that prove something interesting is going on.

And there are others that will tell every so-called paranormal or psychic thing is bunk.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:23 PM, blackstarraven said:

No, they would be derided and ridiculed from my experience. (i.e. Dr. Gary Scwartz's gifted medium experiments where the mediums did not know and could not see the person they were reading). At first they ignore, then they laugh, then they fight and then you win is more the process.

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I think it already is pretty much has been proven. Check out the experiments on gifted mediums by Dr. Gary Schwartz that prove something interesting is going on.

And there are others that will tell every so-called paranormal or psychic thing is bunk.

Wow, we are getting close to a CITE, I think!!!  Papa, which one of those was the best one, and do you have a link?  I'd hate to look at some 'science' in great detail, and then be told by you "No, not THAT one.."

So how about doing the right thing - LINK please?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

No, they would be derided and ridiculed from my experience. (i.e. Dr. Gary Scwartz's gifted medium experiments where the mediums did not know and could not see the person they were reading). At first they ignore, then they laugh, then they fight and then you win is more the process.

Firstly, in part I agree. The case I usually cite to illustrate the idea of bad science is that of Mary Schweitzer, the paelaeontologist who first discovered preserved organic material in dinosaur remains. The reaction of one reviewer of her work was 'I don't care what the data says, she's wrong'. The quote can be found here, 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039grrx

These people harm science when they behave like that. That doesn't mean to say though that anytime the consensus of science is that a hypothesis is wrong, they're doing it out of spite or ultra conservatism. There are many proposals put forward, argued against then rejected every day. 

I think what everyone is getting at with their requests for links is that they'd like to see where you're getting your information from. Are you for example reading actual results and papers, or are you relying on unverified websites. In short, is the information you think you have valid?

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

I think what everyone is getting at with their requests for links is that they'd like to see where you're getting your information from. Are you for example reading actual results and papers, or are you relying on unverified websites. In short, is the information you think you have valid?

In the course of decades I have been influenced by countless sources, from even before there was an internet to link to. I have just digested much information from all sides and came to my judgments. How do I provide a link to all that?

Edited by papageorge1

12 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

NONE of it has been proven, ever.  If you think so, you're just being naive about the entire subject.  Making that claim is completely false on your part.

12 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

At this time, there is absolutely not one single bit of evidence to support the paranormal as being described in this thread.  Is it bunk?  So far, yes.  When someone finally proves this stuff is real, it won't be bunk anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

In the course of decades I have been influenced by countless sources, from even before there was an internet to link to. I have just digested much information from all sides and came to my judgments. How do I provide a link to all that?

That's a fair point about the pre-internet days, but surely you can produce an example. I'm not asking you to back up your argument myself, as much as curious to see the sort of source material you use. 

34 minutes ago, oldrover said:

That's a fair point about the pre-internet days, but surely you can produce an example. I'm not asking you to back up your argument myself, as much as curious to see the sort of source material you use. 

Books I have read at the library by those like Dr Gary Schwartz, Dr Charles Tart, Dr Ian Stevenson, Dr Dean Radin, hundreds of anecdotal stories and many other things including whatever criticisms I can find of these things. Also the teachings of eastern/Vedic, theosophical and occult wisdom traditions fairly considered against the paranormal evidence.

i hope this provides you the idea you are asking for. It is the accumulation of sources fairly considered that have influenced me.