Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Belief Popularity Poll

fabsx

Belief Popularity Poll  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your poison

• Christianity
    • Judaism
    • Islam
    • Sikhism
    • Buddhism
    • Hinduism
    • Taoism
    • Satanism (LaVeyan or not)
    • Atheism (lack of belief)
    • Other (comment)

Which one?

It's multi choice.

I consider myself an Atheist but there are some teachings and philosophies in Buddhism that awake my interest for it. Other than that, I'm always open minded and interested in listening or reading to other perspectives on life and on this world. It's usually rare to find someone who agrees and follows 100% one religion, unlike those certain individuals... I can't bring myself to fully put my mind into one religion because there will be aspects that I won't like or won't agree with.

Edited by Marss
  • Like 4

I voted for Buddhism and other. I utilize a ton of Buddhist philosophies in my life but I am always open to new information and guidance. 

• Like 4

Other. I'm not dogmatic. I believe in the Golden Rule. I'm somewhat agnostic on the whole idea of divinity. I do lean towards the idea that there might be deity, but I don't buy into anybody's dogma about it. I'm certainly not about to judge anyone based on any dogma. 

I was raised Christian (Catholic), and I still like a lot of stuff in the New Testament. I just don't treat it like Gospel. I say to myself...this or that seems like it could have been divinely inspired, and those other things do not. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 7

none of us are static nouns...

we are all fluid verbs, in a state of constant shift and resonance...

• Like 7

I was raised with Christianity, but am open to other beliefs.

• Like 6

Atheist due to lack of results in the spiritual outside of the feels and a bunch of jedi mind tricks. If something legitimate comes along and proves that the supernatural/paranormal exist outside of our imaginations, I'll change my tune. 

• Like 5

This poll is unfairly biased in its not including deism--

Deism | Define Deism at Dictionary.com

www.dictionary.com/browse/deismProxy  Highlight

[...]belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only,

with rejection of supernatural revelation (distinguished from theism).

I am Christian.

• Like 5

I chose Taoism because it's the basis of Zen. Although not really a belief, unless I believe in its wisdom. I don't believe in any religion.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

This poll is unfairly biased in its not including deism--

Deism | Define Deism at Dictionary.com

www.dictionary.com/browse/deismProxy  Highlight

[...]belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only,

with rejection of supernatural revelation (distinguished from theism).

I am Christian.

That would be "other" and you could explain it, like I did.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I chose Taoism because it's the basis of Zen. Although not really a belief, unless I believe in its wisdom. I don't believe in any religion.

One can be anti-religion and still believe in God, which is frequently the case... understandably more and more the case today.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, aka CAT said:

One can be anti-religion and still believe in God, which is frequently the case... understandably more and more the case today.

This is true. One's belief in god is always a personal and idiosyncratic belief.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, aka CAT said:

13 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

This is true. One's belief in god is always a personal and idiosyncratic belief.

That's exactly what I keep trying to explain to people. It's quite possible to believe in an overall deity, and even to believe that Jesus was a great teacher (similar in many ways to the Buddha), without necessarily having to 'accept him as your personal Savior' (whatever that means exactly), or to have to accept the whole package of the Bible and follow one specific Christian sect.

• Like 6

Well from the way things are going so far in this thread I think we need a 'All of the above' option ...

~

• Like 3

I chose other. My family was of multiple interfaith religions athiests and agnostic. I studied many religions to see any connections of wisdom and truth and went to many different churches and synagogue too. I was initiated in several Freemasonry orders and studied for years to different degrees and orders. I became a member of the United Methodist Church about 36 years ago because it has good works, study and welcomes any other faith to their services. That is where I got married although I was christened and taken to Catholic Church by my grandmother. I went to synague with my father and friends and felt at home with the way they had devotions and study. My other relatives took me to other Christian denominations, so I was a bit sceptical of what was the the thing for me.

I call myself a mystic because I can relate different mystical practices and wisdom of different religions. I experimented with many paths of meditation and sceptical study to make my own way to try to understand any connections to the psychology, physic aspects and the unusual effects of some experiments and practices, I witnessed by others faith.

I believe in God the source of life itself that brings power and conscious awareness and that we connect to that source by different methods or beliefs.

Like a Buddhist teaching says that we are on a spinning wheel of life ups  and downs, unless we go to the middle of the wheel which is enlightment and the source itself. To me each religion or no religion is a spoke on that wheel, each path still leads to the same source if you go inward. 

Edited by White Unicorn
Correction
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Marss said:

Which one?

It's multi choice.

I consider myself an Atheist but there are some teachings and philosophies in Buddhism that awake my interest for it. Other than that, I'm always open minded and interested in listening or reading to other perspectives on life and on this world. It's usually rare to find someone who agrees and follows 100% one religion, unlike those certain individuals... I can't bring myself to fully put my mind into one religion because there will be aspects that I won't like or won't agree with.

lucky you.  buddhism is an atheist religion.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, aka CAT said:

religion is there to give strength to those who share the same religion.  thus you can believe in god and not go to church.  i do that.  i do identfy myself as mormon although i have not gone for over 30 years now.  but, my faith is just as strong as ever.  ask xenofish lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, danielost said:

religion is there to give strength to those who share the same religion.  thus you can believe in god and not go to church.  i do that.  i do identfy myself as mormon although i have not gone for over 30 years now.  but, my faith is just as strong as ever.  ask xenofish lol

I'd define what you have as unhealthy stubbornness. Markdohle has strength. He's a believer that I quite enjoying sparring with, he has my respect.

• Like 3

Eclectic Pagan Druid 

Edited by Grandpa Greenman
  • Like 6

And you're one that I respect. Actually it's your attitude that makes the world of difference. You are what I consider a good Christian. I've voice my opinion several times about those who are pushy about it as well as being narrow minded. You are neither. Stay the same TC.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 7

Thank you for the kind words.  I simply try to treat others as I want to be treated.....with respect. :) 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, tcgram said:

Thank you for the kind words.  I simply try to treat others as I want to be treated.....with respect. :) 

Golden Rule!

• Like 5