Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Site cannot be reached

Careful_perspective

For some reason I can't access the site from my home computer or when my phone is connected to my home wifi.  The only way I can connect to the site is through going through 4G on my phone.  I have tried resetting my router multiple times. I have Verizon internet if that helps..is something wrong with the websites server right now? 

That has happened to me before on this website and other websites with IPB software like this one, no idea what causes it or how to solve the issue, though.

• Like 1

If you can access the site thru some other internet connection, I don't know why that would emanate from the site...  Are all other sites ok thru Verizon?  How are you accessing it, via a favorite/bookmark, or typing in the name (try that)?  I presume your router doesn't rely on your phone for the connection or anything odd like that?

Have you tried holding down Ctrl and Shift while pressing the refresh button? (that tells your pc to not use a cached copy)  After that you should probably consider deleting the UM cookie, but I'd recommend you find your nearest computer geek to give you a hand first.

your ISP probably has a certain filter in place. Since you can access some sites and not others, its not a problem with your computer/phone. I would call Verizon and they should be able to take care of it.

22 minutes ago, P.Nomenon said:

your ISP probably has a certain filter in place. Since you can access some sites and not others, its not a problem with your computer/phone. I would call Verizon and they should be able to take care of it.

Do you know why this would suddenly happen? I was able to get on the site last night with no problem. 

No clue honestly, I would check with them and then go from there. Good luck!

I was just knocked out for over a month. Could not access from my home computer. Still don't really know what happened. I was running a 32 bit and have now bought a 64 bit. Got back in without any problem. Thought maybe after the upgrade, my old computer just wasn't fast enough to log in anymore. It was pretty old. I did the router thing also. Even had my cable company try, and they got right in through my modem, but I couldn't. That's where I have my internet.  I was on the site and then, bam, couldn't open it any more. Tried through Facebook and different browsers and it didn't work. 

So far, so good. Hope I can keep getting in now. Wish I could give you an answer, but I just don't know what happened.

Edited by susieice

If you can access the site thru some other internet connection, I don't know why that would emanate from the site...  Are all other sites ok thru Verizon

I could open anything and everything, except UM. I wondered if it was from the site also. Even thought maybe it was my Linux. I checked with Saru and he said I'd have no problem, and I don't. It was the weirdest thing. Still worry I may not be unable to login.

Sounds more like a local Firewall setting than ISP filters ...

~

13 hours ago, Rinna said:

For some reason I can't access the site from my home computer or when my phone is connected to my home wifi.  The only way I can connect to the site is through going through 4G on my phone.  I have tried resetting my router multiple times. I have Verizon internet if that helps..is something wrong with the websites server right now? 

There are no issues that I know of that should be preventing you from accessing the site.

What specifically happens when you do try to access it, do you get an error message ? Is it a browser error or a site error ?

44 minutes ago, Saru said:

There are no issues that I know of that should be preventing you from accessing the site.

What specifically happens when you do try to access it, do you get an error message ? Is it a browser error or a site error ?

I think it's something on the end of my internet. I dont have the exact message of what pops up right now because I'm not home but I'll reply back with a screenshot later on. I

20 hours ago, third_eye said:

Sounds more like a local Firewall setting than ISP filters ...

~

We thought about firewalls too. Would something prompt the site to put up a firewall? I got absolutely nothing. The cursor would spin and then I would get a message that it timed out. UM just didn't respond. Don't know if that's what Rinna is getting or not.

Edited by susieice

2 hours ago, susieice said:

We thought about firewalls too. Would something prompt the site to put up a firewall? I got absolutely nothing. The cursor would spin and then I would get a message that it timed out. UM just didn't respond. Don't know if that's what Rinna is getting or not.

Actually I thought it might be the Firewall on your side ... I remember getting into somewhat of the same like that ... first thing I did was to flush the browser cache, forget site preferences, then switched off the 'notifications' till what I have now is just Notify on 'Quote' and Private Messages ... I still do get UM not Responding once in a while nowadays but not as bad as before ....

~

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Actually I thought it might be the Firewall on your side ... I remember getting into somewhat of the same like that ... first thing I did was to flush the browser cache, forget site preferences, then switched off the 'notifications' till what I have now is just Notify on 'Quote' and Private Messages ... I still do get UM not Responding once in a while nowadays but not as bad as before ....

~

I did clean my browser cache, but what would make my computer suddenly throw up a firewall to block UM? Just curious. I've been in here for over 7 yrs and never had an issue. 

57 minutes ago, susieice said:

I did clean my browser cache, but what would make my computer suddenly throw up a firewall to block UM? Just curious. I've been in here for over 7 yrs and never had an issue. 

I don't believe its blocking UM because its 'timeouts' you are experiencing possibly some odds and ends that isn't on the UM servers anymore, not blocked access because if its blocked you will get a Site Access 'Not Allowed' message  ... so here my best guess would be some components that comes with UM ... but best let the bossman deal with those ...

The best thing now is to limit what might be causing the problems ... 'mark site as read' on UM clears things on UM's end while clearing your Browser Cache cleans things up on your end ... start anew ... then try disabling Ad and pop up blocks for UM site only and see if it helps ... that's from my personal experience I'm not sure if it applies to you as I'm on a whole different set of servers and ISP routers

~ good luck ~

• Like 1

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

does that mean that you can't see Likes? :cry: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

does that mean that you can't see Likes? :cry: 

You can see them on your Profile Page ... just not notified in 'real' time ... :yes:

~

8 minutes ago, third_eye said:

You can see them on your Profile Page ... just not notified in 'real' time ... :yes:

~

You've very nearly achieved parity in Likes. 14,809 posts, and 14,801 likes. ! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

You've very nearly achieved parity in Likes. 14,809 posts, and 14,801 likes. ! 

Wow ...

~

141003195522-24-bill-clinton-horizontal-

~

Good Ol' bill ... I wonder if I can invite him to play the Sax on the day I get my 'Likes' and Post  balanced ... :lol:

~

• Like 1

I was getting "site not available" messages at first in Chrome. Firefox just timed out.

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

I was getting "site not available" messages at first in Chrome. Firefox just timed out.

How about now ? Are you accessing UM through Linux and FireFox ?

~

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

How about now ? Are you accessing UM through Linux and FireFox ?

~

I'm in Linux and Chrome, but I'm on a new computer.

• Like 1