Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WWII shipwrecks are mysteriously vanishing

Hanslune

Maybe some kind of weird plate tectonic shenanigans? It seems unlikely that someone just up and stole them.

On 11/19/2016 at 4:11 AM, Podo said:

Maybe some kind of weird plate tectonic shenanigans? It seems unlikely that someone just up and stole them.

You can't be serious ! (sorry to sound like J Mac). I think what has gone wrong here is that the location of these wrecks has not been kept secret, and they are in shallow enough water for salvage work to be feasible.. I might be wrong, but I seem to recall at least some of them were only located a decade or so ago.

• Like 1

Whoops! Comment pulled. Made a boob of myself by not reading closely enough.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

On 2016-11-19 at 11:00 PM, Habitat said:

You can't be serious ! (sorry to sound like J Mac). I think what has gone wrong here is that the location of these wrecks has not been kept secret, and they are in shallow enough water for salvage work to be feasible.. I might be wrong, but I seem to recall at least some of them were only located a decade or so ago.

I'm mostly not serious, you are correct. But you have to admit that it is odd that an entire shipwreck would go missing without someone noticing, wouldn't you?

2 hours ago, Podo said:

I'm mostly not serious, you are correct. But you have to admit that it is odd that an entire shipwreck would go missing without someone noticing, wouldn't you?

no-one with an interest in having them preserved undisturbed has noticed, because they would not be in the area......till the Dutch returned to place a plaque on their wreck, and found it obliterated. It is clear now that publicizing the wrecks' locations has given opportunists ideas.

One of the news items I read said that it is possible to blow up the ship into pieces and cart them away. No giant ship at a time is needed.

Six entire ships discovered 2002, now vanished in 14 years later.  All in 60 to 70 metres of water.  It seems rather a big job for a very well organised salvage company let alone locals removing bits and pieces at a time. I'm wondering if the locations are wrong.

Is there satellite imagery of the area taken between 2002 and this year?  Does it show salvage equipment moored over the ships?     

54 minutes ago, Codenwarra said:

Six entire ships discovered 2002, now vanished in 14 years later.  All in 60 to 70 metres of water.  It seems rather a big job for a very well organised salvage company let alone locals removing bits and pieces at a time. I'm wondering if the locations are wrong.

Is there satellite imagery of the area taken between 2002 and this year?  Does it show salvage equipment moored over the ships?     

It certainly seems unlikely that a full-scale operation that would be needed to salvage these wrecks, albeit in small pieces, would make economic sense, but it also seems unlikely they have "lost" the locations through wrong co-ordinates. I can only imagine the shock and surprise when they tried to put the memorial plaque on the Dutch ship.

On 11/21/2016 at 2:42 PM, Adampadum123 said:

You wouldn't dig up someone's grave so why do it underwater

Dunno. Ask King Tut.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

good so must be done. Recycle that metal save the planet

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

you dont need to salvage them, just dismantle them where they stand....piece by piece, day by day....soon everything is gone. Somebody said explosives, well if it works, why not?

if people are making livelihood out of it, why bother maybe after 100 years no one will be interested in those ships it's just emotional for few generations. 

On 22/11/2016 at 6:42 AM, Adampadum123 said:

You wouldn't dig up someone's grave so why do it underwater

$$

Edited by Timonthy
Re-add $$.

they are way to old to recover...........and how did they move..............................