Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gun Enthusiasts: Ruger Mini 14 or Mini 30?

HandsomeGorilla

Hey folks, 

Looking for anyone with experience with either platform. Obviously, the Mini 14 is either 5.56 or 300 BLK; Mini 30 is 7.62. Haven't made up my mind what I really wanna run yet, so I'm still open to opinions.

I love the AR platform and own two, but it's not my favorite and lugging around either that or a 30.06 any time I wanna go trekking in the woods can be a bit of a hassle. Needless to say, I'm more and more drawn to the Ruger Minis. Not looking for anything that can shoot a torso sized target at 1000 yards, just a fun plinker; something extra for home defense; and something that will also take a deer, hog or any other animal should I decide to. 

Any input is appreciated but I want to hear your PERSONAL experience with these rifles. 

Thanks! :)

• Like 2

Ever consider an AR 15 pistol kit?

3694200_01_ar_15_pistol_complete_build_k

• Like 1

Y/W

Do not forget the legalities. 

I love my Ruger 10/22, but I always thought of having a Mini 14 in a Bullpup stock. 

juggernaut-rogue-m1a-m14-bullpup-chassis

I would prefer a red dot, or holographic site instead of the scope though.

reddotvsholographic.jpg

• 1 month later...

Either gun is nice i have a few asslut rifles sks and ak 37's, need them to keep the aliens away hahah

• 3 weeks later...

I would go for the Mini 30. The 5.56 round is just a slightly over powered 22 and lacks much real stopping power. This was done intentionally when they figured out that casualties create more problems for enemy armies than dead people. First off it takes several people to care for one wounded person and when the system gets overloaded and the soldiers have to see the suffering of the wounded it destroys moral and makes the army less willing to fight on. As a private citizen your motivations will be much different. Whether you will use it for protection or hunting your intention should be to put down your target not just injure it. 

All that said I've owned a Mini 14 and it is a fun gun to shoot and massively dependable. You will want to reload for it though. I could seldom go out and not shoot 400 or 500 rounds. It is a hungry beast!!!!!