Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yellow and black bird

Debbie m

Hi may be going mad but for a month now I have a black and yellow small bird outside my kitchen window knocking on my window flying around and looking in all the time for a month now comes for a few minutes then flies away then comes back I have 2 cats and the bird is not scared one bit I never open the window and my cats are house cats so can't attack the bird what does it mean if anything or am I going mad and just being silly thank you for your time Dèbbie 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Debbie m said:

Hi may be going mad but for a month now I have a black and yellow small bird outside my kitchen window knocking on my window flying around and looking in all the time for a month now comes for a few minutes then flies away then comes back I have 2 cats and the bird is not scared one bit I never open the window and my cats are house cats so can't attack the bird what does it mean if anything or am I going mad and just being silly thank you for your time Dèbbie 

Hi, can you tell me where you live? It may be an American goldfinch, which are friendly. 

Can not understand why you think you are going mad - you are not the one knocking or flying around. 

But can you tell us more about the bird then we can determine the habits.

• Like 1

Have you checked to see if there is anything near/around the window that the bird might be eating, spiders/ants/termites?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Have you checked to see if there is anything near/around the window that the bird might be eating, spiders/ants/termites?

Or a bird feeder which need filling.

• Like 1

Hi thank you am in England I would post photo but said to big of size to post  nice looking bird I have never seen one before this one I noticed the bird about a month ago knocking on my kitchen window every day and see it more the weekends as am in all day my cats are fastenated sorry if spelt wrong lol  I have just started putting wild bird seed out about 2 weeks ago it flies up to the window looking in and knocks 

• Like 1

No nothing for it to eat by my window I have a small yard nothing in it a shed and kids outside toys and fake grass it's really small 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Debbie m said:

It's not a American gold finch looked it up its more grey / black on top and yellow under 

Sounds just like an american goldfinch = as they change colour in winter, the link below will show you different stages of colours.

• American Goldfinches are the only finch that molts its body feathers twice a year, once in late winter and again in late summer. The brightening yellow of male goldfinches each spring is one welcome mark of approaching warm months.

American Goldfinch follows this pattern. Beginning in September, and continuing for six to eight weeks, they molt all of their feathers, ending up with a completely new and pristine set of feathers (and drab colors) as they head into the winter. 

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2012/05/the-annual-plumage-cycle-of-a-male-american-goldfinch/

• Like 1

Could you let us know if it looks anything like that?

and can you confirm if it is :

2 hours ago, Debbie m said:

I have a black and yellow small bird

or this

12 minutes ago, Debbie m said:

its more grey / black on top and yellow under 

Can you take a photo or this mystery bird?

2 minutes ago, Debbie m said:

Old rover that is it what is that but I think that is it xx

Are you saying it is a wagtail, cos I can not make heads or tails (no pun intended) of what you have just put?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Debbie m said:

Can you see it now x

no. :( 

But if you are saying it is the picture oldrover has put up, then it is likely it is a wagtail. 

Edited by freetoroam

28 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

no. :( 

But if you are saying it is the picture oldrover has put up, then it is likely it is a wagtail. 

It's her profile picture. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Debbie m said:

Old rover that is it what is that but I think that is it xx

Debbie, I can't make out your picture I'm afraid. It's too small. 

The bird at the link is a grey wagtail. (There is a yellow wagtail, but it's more green) Anyway, wagtails are very territorial little birds. So, probably this one of yours has decided that your house is now theirs and is giving you grief for being its territory.

There used to be a pied wagtail that 'owned' a stretch of pavement near me. Every time I crossed his patch he'd go bloody mad and try and drive me off. They're little bruisers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, oldrover said:

It's her profile picture. 

now i see it. :tu:

Could well be a wagtail.

• Like 1

Looks like a Grey Wagtail. They're very active little birds and can be quite aggressive. If he can see his reflection in your window he may believe it is a rival for his territory and keep coming back to warn him off.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Looks like a Grey Wagtail. They're very active little birds and can be quite aggressive. If he can see his reflection in your window he may believe it is a rival for his territory and keep coming back to warn him off.

Oh, good point. 

27 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

yes good point, and here is more on this:

While any bird may show a bit of aggression towards a competitor, species that are especially known to attack themselves as reflections include:

I once had a male robin that would 'fight himself' due to seeing his reflection in the side mirrors of my son's pick up truck. My son would get so irritated by the bird...his side mirrors were literally covered in bird spit and feces.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I once had a male robin that would 'fight himself' due to seeing his reflection in the side mirrors of my son's pick up truck. My son would get so irritated by the bird...his side mirrors were literally covered in bird spit and feces.

I can see where Daphne du Maurier got the idea for her book from. :unsure:

• Like 1