Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can evil energy be misleading my readings?

Trish5

20 minutes ago, alibongo said:

This is because existence after death is like existence before birth-it just doesn't exist.

You are wrong on at least one of those, in my very hard-nosed, evidence demanding opinion. 

5 hours ago, Sakari said:

Rude......No one said that, that I saw. And nothing she has said would make her sound like she has psychiatric issues.

This is also very rude. I am not religious, and I am the one who asked about how Catholics feel. No one here was preaching. Rude replies such as this are a complete discussion killer.

Well put sakari. This is just meant to be a discussion to explore varying opinions. I don't think anyone apart from alibongo has made this personal. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, freetoroam said:

1#They all said the same thing to you because you gave them all the same clues. they all work the same way, picking up on your emotions and "signs" and what information you give them.

2#Go to another 10, tell them the same things and they too will come up with the same mumble jumble to keep you coming back to them...for a fee. 

it is that simple and for the alleged psychics who  have been conning people for years, it really is that simple. Not everyone is able to do what they do, it is not a gift, it takes training to recognize certain signs and emotions, but most of all =  it also takes a person with no empathy to play on them.

I want to agree with you on this 1#

But I can't fully agree with 2#. Although I trully do not believe an evil entity had anything to do with this. I do believe that cold reading was the most likely reason this particular 4 claimed, psychics, came up with similar answers.

For instance if I was going to do a cold reading on the op I would check her age/sex/general presentation/ wedding or engagement rings. From this I would deduce, income, potential life stage (25-27ish years old is around about the age many people start making big decisions, 18ish =new beginings, 30+ family issues, anything around 16=boys), i think you get the idea.

And as I stated earlier, finances and love, the two big questions people go to psychics for. Easy enough to pick up on the subjects ques and get the same answer.

But a blanket statement against all psychics as con artists, I can't read that without wondering why you feel so badly about the subject.

I may only have anecdotal evidence that some are true, but I would state my reputation on it. You may not know me, but feel free to check out my past. I am no fool.

And just a general reminder. A skeptic is not someone who doesn't believe, it's a person who questions everything openly.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, alibongo said:

Sakari, I'm sorry you think me rude.

I'm just stating the truth.

You're stating your opinion which is fine. Just don't rubbish other's opinion as they too are valid. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kismit said:

A skeptic is not someone who doesn't believe, it's a person who questions everything openly.

yes, but not for a second time if the first time round the subject has been explained or debunked. 

eg: evil energy, ghosts, alien abductions etc etc etc.

Although I do ask questions each time these subjects appear, but the questions are not because I believe they may be true, the questions are to show they are not and to try and get to the real truth behind the claims. sleep paralysis, hallucinations....etc etc etc. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trish5 said:

You're stating your opinion which is fine. Just don't rubbish other's opinion as they too are valid. 

Look , religions tell us what we can expect after death.

Catholics tell us we spend so many years in purgatory, before being admitted to Heaven. They believe in miracles and magic (but not enough miracles to prevent tragic deaths).

Muslims promise virgins if you die a warriors death.

Christians say you will live everlastingly.

The fact is, no one has ever come back from death to say any of this is true.

What if we just die, like pets and wild animals?

How can religions tell us what to expect after death?

• Like 1

On 2016-11-21 at 9:33 AM, Trish5 said:

I need some advice. Can a evil energy influence readings? I have spoken to 4 psychics is the past 3 days and they have all given me the same advice to ditch my boyfriend and look forward to meeting another man in my new job. They say I am unhappy with my current job and I will be happy in my new job and by career will flourish. The problem is this, my career is currently flourishing and I like my current job. My inner turmoil is coming from the fact that I have put my career ahead of everything else and I don’t think work is what makes me happy. I want to pull back from work and focus on other aspects of my life. The information the psychics give me about me becoming a high flying business woman married to a similar man actually depresses me as this is the exact opposite of what I want. They sell it to me as though it’ll be the best thing ever, but my gut violently says no.
Could an evil spirit be giving them this information because I genuinely believe that this lifestyle (one I am currently on course to achieve) is killing me and I need to step away? 
4 have all said the same thing which is unusual as people report variability between readings. Why are mine so consistent when I know psychics don’t have the same abilities and tune into different aspects of your life?

Trish first of all, any person who is truly intuitive would (1) never tell you what to do, and (2) never predict the future. It's one thing to help a person gain insight into their current situation, another to tell them what decisions they should or should not make. No ethical psychic does that. You have free will and your future is not preordained. You know that. So if the idea of being a high flying businesswoman married to an equally successful man depresses you, then don't go there.

As for a negative energy manipulating these psychics, first of all, if such a thing were happening and these people were truly psychic, then they would know.. wouldn't they? Second, I don't for a moment believe in negative energies and even if they did exist why would an evil spirit follow you around from psychic to psychic? Why not just screw around with you directly? Besides, what these psychics are telling you is not that bad is it? I mean think about it.... An evil spirit telling these psychics to tell you that you will have a successful career and an equally successful husband. What nerve!

Obviously there is more going on in your life because you yourself mentioned you went to see these psychics out of some urgency, but I hope that you came out of it knowing that only you can best read yourself and your situation and that only you should make life decisions for yourself. I also hope that you put the idea of evil entities aside, as the idea of them around you can be unnecessarily frightening... and that's never a good state of mind to be in.

• Like 4

They say you don't like your job, but you do. They say that your career wont flourish until you quit this job, but according to you it is.

Why in the h e double hockey sticks would you continue to see psychics when so far they are wrong?

Trust your own judgement on what to do with your boyfriend and career, do not trust a bunch of pseudo-science practicing scam artist.

Edited by mr3rdrock
  • Like 3

There are versions of "psychics," for lack of a better term. Some people are just reading Tarot for you (and they shouldn't call themselves psychic). Tarot actually is a system where the cards have particular meanings. If they have actually studied the system and know what those meanings are supposed to be, that is. Most of them just wing it, or they're practicing cold reading. None of this has anything to do with being psychic. If you're reading Tarot "correctly," it's just about memorizing what the cards are supposed to mean in different configurations. 

I'd say if you're really interested in readings, then save yourself a ton of dough and just pick up a Tarot deck and book. It's way cheaper, and you'll know that at least you're doing it the way it's supposed to be done. (And you can also see if anyone else was ever doing it right). 

A lot of people don't put any stock in Tarot or astrology or I Ching or the magic 8 ball, or whatever else. That said, for most people it is kinda fun to see what you come up with. Once in a while, a reading can be eerily on point. 

Now, if you're actually afraid of the influence of evil spirits and you feel they can come through Tarot...you should probably just stay away from any divination. You're just gonna scare yourself silly. Whatever happens, it's gonna be your own psyche messing with you. So if you find that's happening, then I suggest you just quit that. 

• Like 2

This post is knowing these are cold readings, and " psychics " are frauds. No one can read minds, talk to the dead, or see the future.......Anyway.

Why would someone want to pay someone to tell them what they already know? Everytime I read about these things, or hear about it, people are told things like " you are not happy with your job situation ", etc. And everyone posts " they were so dead on "........So, paying someone to tell you what you already know......

Just crazy

• Like 1

If you're going to deal with 'psychics' do it for entertainment purposes only. Even with various forms of divination such as tarot (which is actually a card game) do it for the lulz of it.

Because sometimes make an unimportant decision based on what a magic 8 ball says can be fun. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3

On 24/11/2016 at 6:43 AM, freetoroam said:

yes, but not for a second time if the first time round the subject has been explained or debunked. 

eg: evil energy, ghosts, alien abductions etc etc etc.

Although I do ask questions each time these subjects appear, but the questions are not because I believe they may be true, the questions are to show they are not and to try and get to the real truth behind the claims. sleep paralysis, hallucinations....etc etc etc. 

General disclaimer: I'm still finding my feet around here, so I apologize for any toes  I have and will tread on. 

Since returning I have discovered a new term being used, conformation bias. I looked it up and checked it out. It means findinding or using information that fits into your belief sytem, or something like that anyway.

Im not sure, because I can see this isn't  your intent, but wouldn't asking questions to prove something is wrong fall into this category?

I'm all for waking up some of the nutters that come in here, believe me you guys don't see the half of it, Moderators clean up an awful lot. But you can't possibly claim all psychics are cons until you have actually studied all psychics.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kismit said:

General disclaimer: I'm still finding my feet around here, so I apologize for any toes  I have and will tread on. 

Since returning I have discovered a new term being used, conformation bias. I looked it up and checked it out. It means findinding or using information that fits into your belief sytem, or something like that anyway.

Im not sure, because I can see this isn't  your intent, but wouldn't asking questions to prove something is wrong fall into this category?

I'm all for waking up some of the nutters that come in here, believe me you guys don't see the half of it, Moderators clean up an awful lot. But you can't possibly claim all psychics are cons until you have actually studied all psychics.

Con Artist : a person who cheats or tricks others by persuading them to believe something that is not true.

They all are under definition.

2 minutes ago, Sakari said:

Con Artist : a person who cheats or tricks others by persuading them to believe something that is not true.

They all are under definition.

So you believe all psychics cheat and trick, have you infact encountered and interviewed all psychics?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

So you believe all psychics cheat and trick, have you infact encountered and interviewed all psychics?

This is easy.

Can you present any verifiable / reliable links / documentation of any Psychic abilities being fact ?

That is what I ask you, as you are pretty much asking me to prove a negative. When documented, factual, verifiable Psychics are presented to the public, I may reverse my statement.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sakari said:

This is easy.

Can you present any verifiable / reliable links / documentation of any Psychic abilities being fact ?

That is what I ask you, as you are pretty much asking me to prove a negative. When documented, factual, verifiable Psychics are presented to the public, I may reverse my statement.

As I stated earlier, I only have anecdotal evidence and as  the claim is that all psychics are con artists the onus is on proving that all psychics are con artists. You literally have to have personally tested and interviewed all psychics to make this claim.

That can't be done by someone trying to prove psychics could exist. That's entirely a different argument.

Edited by Kismit

34 minutes ago, Kismit said:

As I stated earlier, I only have anecdotal evidence and as  the claim is that all psychics are con artists the onus is on proving that all psychics are con artists. You literally have to have personally tested and interviewed all psychics to make this claim.

That can't be done by someone trying to prove psychics could exist. That's entirely a different argument.

It really is not. Per the definition of con artists, all psychics fit it. All Psychics are con artists, and one reason that should be enough ( not trying to prove negative ), not one Psychic has proven that they have special powers. Not when asked, not even when they offered. Many have made fools of themselves trying. No Psychics have saved anyone from catastrophe's. No Psychics have fed the hungry with winning lottery tickets. No Psychics have found kidnapped children, or helped solve crimes. That is a biggie right there.

They are all cons.

You trying to say " you have not met all Psychics " is like saying :

" you have not met all Vampires "
" you have not met all werewolves "

" you have not met all PSI ball throwers "

" you have not met everyone claiming to be Elvis "

( weird how those sentences ended up, I just hit enter )

" You have not met all people claiming to be alien "

Am I making sense?......You are trying to justify a fantasy, by stating not every single person on this Earth has been checked. In reality, if any crazy thing, someone with super powers, existed, it would be known. Especially Psychics, with thousands on thousands claiming to have this ability, yet not one can prove it with some easy tests.

Please do not make me post the Sylvia Brown video. Epic fail. ( or the other famous " Psychics ".... )

Kismit,

Maybe I am taking this wrong, and you are not saying that not being a con artist means they are the real deal.

In reality, you are correct about not all are con artists.

So, I can clarify. If they are not con artists, then they think they really have abilities. So, this means they have Psychological issues.

Let me re-phrase :

Psychics are either con artists, or people with mental instability and should seek help.

Edited by Sakari

I've seen just about everything there is to see, certainly on these boards. I have seen all this debunked and resurected  more times than anyone except maybe SaRu himself, (including Sylvia Brown.)  The arguments continually swing back and forth between skeptic and believer ( I dislike those terms a lot, they are so often missused)

And every time the same arguments are made. in the end all that can be given is anecdotal evidence, it must be experienced to be believed.

As I have stated already twice in this thread alone, i know the cons, I know the tricks and most of all I know the psychology. I do not hold my beliefs based on blind faith. Infact, and all arogance intentionally  included you would be hard pressed to find somebody more qualified to interview or check out a psychic, with skepticism . 

And when you claim they are either mentally unstable ' or cons, you are infact stating opinions not facts in the same way I am stating my opinion.

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sakari said:

Let me re-phrase :

Psychics are either con artists, or people with mental instability and should seek help.

Sakari, as I have said before, I believe everyone's opinion is valid. However you don't seem to show the same respect for other's opinions and yield your opinions as fact. It's as though you feel you have a monopoly on the truth. 

I have seen this method of expressing opinions in extremely religious people and extremists of different kinds. It's an inability to entertain the possibility that others see the world differently from you and if they do, there MUST be something wrong with them.  Eg my priest will say, all gays are sinners. When I counter that God may love gays and does not judge them, my priest dismisses me and says that there must be something wrong with me to empathise with sinners. (Your message reminded me of him). 

Be careful of that quality. It breeds intolerance and division. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Ignorance is also bliss and ignorant people make a lot of con artist wealthy.

Once again, a blanket statement with no validity. I hear these type of statements from religious people. 

"All non believers will burn in hell. Those who don't believe are sinners etc" 

I'm not ignorant. I know plenty of people who have a spiritual compass who are not what I would regard as ignorant. 

I have TWO science degrees, a science based masters, I'm doing a science PhD in addition to working as medical doctor and I STILL have a spiritual core. Don't dismiss people as ignorant just because they don't see the world as you do. 

1 hour ago, Sakari said:

It really is not. Per the definition of con artists, all psychics fit it. 

This is an opinion^^.

Here come the long tedious responses to the rest of the post.

1 hour ago, Sakari said:

All Psychics are con artists, and one reason that should be enough ( not trying to prove negative ), not one Psychic has proven that they have special powers. Not when asked, not even when they offered. Many have made fools of themselves trying. No Psychics have saved anyone from catastrophe's. No Psychics have fed the hungry with winning lottery tickets. No Psychics have found kidnapped children, or helped solve crimes. That is a biggie right there.

We will start with the last statement and work our way back. The usual argument goes, police officers and detectives require court admissible evidence to get a conviction. Psychic evidence is hearsay, anecdotal and therefor not admissable in court and so it isn't really possible to say for certain that psychics haven't helped out at some stage in some case. 

Next argument, that's putting a lot of assumption into what a psychic is. Oh hang on that covers the rest of it quite nicely.

And if in fact a psychic is a person who can have contact with the deceased, what on earth would make us think that dear old Aunt Germima  suddenly became capable of guessing the lotterie numbers just because she's dead.

1 hour ago, Sakari said:

They are all cons.

You trying to say " you have not met all Psychics " is like saying :

" you have not met all Vampires "
" you have not met all werewolves "

" you have not met all PSI ball throwers "

" you have not met everyone claiming to be Elvis "

( weird how those sentences ended up, I just hit enter )

" You have not met all people claiming to be alien .

Oh dear God nooooo... This only leaves me with the argument  that the actual similarity in you claiming all psychics are frauds is the same as, you stating

• All Aliens are green
  • All Vampires are snappy dressers 
  • All white people love Shania Twain

As I said you made the claim that all of them were cons, not me. proving a negative :rolleyes:. I didn't make the claim, you did. if I had come in and claimed all psychics are real, then fair enough I should have to bring evidence to back it up. But I am not the one making the claim All psychics are anything.

• Like 1