Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New UK law enables mass online surveillance

UM-Bot

7 hours ago, Kismit said:

Just a little point and somewhat finicky on my part but, the UK doesn't have an amendment granting them freedom of speech.

We do have a "qualified" right to freedom of expression which is enshrined in the human rights act (aka article 19 of the ECHR). But the torries have made clear their intention to do away with the human rights act.

• Like 1

I don't think it matters if you have done something wrong or not. My/our/your business should not be open to anybody but us. Who has the right to snoop about our private lives? I see above that people could be blackmailed to **** but realistically people could be blackmailed to do anything. Guy Fox had the right idea for the wrong reasons. Wonder if Thereasa May would like her sh!t combed through? Doubt she'd in charge for much longer.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mesuma said:

Guy Fox had the right idea for the wrong reasons.

Sorry but those mental images are just too funny  :D :D :D

9 hours ago, Chortle said:

We do have a "qualified" right to freedom of expression which is enshrined in the human rights act (aka article 19 of the ECHR). But the torries have made clear their intention to do away with the human rights act.

The Torries are fools then. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2016 at 0:25 PM, itsnotoutthere said:

Better still, why don't we all arm ourselves with shotguns and automatic rifles.....

YEE HAWWW....

P.s.Wasn't it an American team of scumbag lawyers that were sending our writs for people downloading music and movies a few years back?

Laugh on, chuckles.  I'm curious, when your government tells you to jump, will you ask them "How high, sir?"  Over here our government takes pause at the idea of p***ing off a 100 million or so armed, free people who don't like them to begin with.  And that number reflects at least half the men and women in uniform.  Just because you've accepted the boot on your neck doesn't mean we all have.  Do you even remember what freedom was like?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, and then said:

Laugh on, chuckles.  I'm curious, when your government tells you to jump, will you ask them "How high, sir?"  Over here our government takes pause at the idea of p***ing off a 100 million or so armed, free people who don't like them to begin with.  And that number reflects at least half the men and women in uniform.  Just because you've accepted the boot on your neck doesn't mean we all have.  Do you even remember what freedom was like?

Come off it pal, the British Govt couldnt oppress a banana.  That would require organisation and intelligence.  Two things it lacks...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kismit said:

The Torries are fools then. 

Who are the 'torries", guv ? Like, if you mean your "tawries", that is "tories" innit ! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Setton said:

Sorry but those mental images are just too funny  :D :D :D

Bloody auto correct.  I didn't even notice at the time.

Edited by mesuma
  • Like 1

I wonder if this could open up a new "secure" ISP market where the ISP has a builtin VPN for its users and they can save the data as mandated they just would not be able to be tie it to a specific user just the VPN?

I assume this applies to internet surfing by foreigners to British web sites.

It seems to me this might be a violation of one of the clauses of "Magna Charta." 

"No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so, except by the lawful judgment of his equals or by the law of the land."

They may be stripping citizens of privacy rights, and proceeding with force against citizens by this monitoring.

Edited by 3.0
:)
  • Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:03 AM, 3.0 said:

I assume this applies to internet surfing by foreigners to British web sites.

It seems to me this might be a violation of one of the clauses of "Magna Charta." 

"No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so, except by the lawful judgment of his equals or by the law of the land."

They may be stripping citizens of privacy rights, and proceeding with force against citizens by this monitoring.

That's why they're making it 'the law of the land'...

• Like 1

And today is the day when I finally convert to using VPN, anonymous browsers, incognito modes, proxies, etc. in furious combination in addition to deleting cookies and browsing history on a regular basis.

For me it comes down to a simple question.  Does the government represent you or does it own you? If it represents you, then it should be ensuring your natural rights. If it owns you, then it has the right to know everything you do in private. 

For me the greatest danger in this law is the ability to track public opinion on a large scale. This could lead to greater manipulation of the public, as the government tracks your views on negative media reports (I. e how many times it was mentioned or shared via social media, what protests or actions are citizens taking, etc) and responding accordingly.  It wouldn't be long before they know when or how to release negative information, or how to burry it to minimize public outrage. 

Basically, you don't value the right to privacy now bease you don't "need" it now. When you do, you may find that they have made revolution (either physical or by ballot) impossible due to a lack of private places to discuss ideas without fear of government intervention. 

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 1

It's not the government you should be worried about with this, they only care about specific security threats. It's the corporations and some of the other 3rd parties that will miss-use and fail to properly secure the data.

Edited by Finity

It's "all of the above" to be honest.

Governments, corporations, law enforcement and cyber criminals all want as much information about you as they can get their hands on. It's not some crazy conspiracy theory any longer. You can clearly see it in laws such as that being discussed here, the increasingly intrusive software used in every connected device we somnambulantly plug into these days, and the increasing ingenuity and technical expertise of cyber criminals.

"I'm not a criminal, so I'm not worried" is naive to say the least. Some people will only understand when they suddenly find themselves in situations such as insurance companies refusing services as they have already assessed you on information that you don't even have access to yourself.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2016 at 9:04 PM, White Unicorn said:

Because the first guy he chose in the transition for a position  is a guy running breitbart that is the main  platform for the alt right! He also was with Goldman Sachs before going into media. 

It doesn't matter what media  brought about the increase in racial tensions, people fear for civil liberties  going backwards. We have all the tech to sort out any targeted group of people and it could be used used against them by the people in power positions. 

Everyone needs to relax and put on their big boy pants.  Give the guy a chance.  He's a good man with a good heart and he's going to do what he's said: Make America Great Again.  I believe that.  

Can you give me a clue as to how he's going to do that? I've yet to hear anything that's made sense and he is already backtracking on most of what he promised. While we're at it, can we define his version of great? How is America not great and what specifically is he going to change? 

Edited by Calibeliever

33 minutes ago, MJNYC said:

Everyone needs to relax and put on their big boy pants.  Give the guy a chance.  He's a good man with a good heart and he's going to do what he's said: Make America Great Again.  I believe that.  

So when should we stop relaxing? When he goes back on his campaign promise to drain the swamp? When he surrounds himself with people who have been bought and paid for by corporations? When he makes statements about curbing constitutionally protected freedom of speech? When he claims there is massive voter fraud (despite a complete lack of evidence) and then tries to block recounts? When he hires K street insiders and former goldman sachs executives?  (ahem.....thats all already happened) 

The dude scammed the nation and it will be years before those who pulled the lever for him are even able to see it. It is definitely time to start freaking the hell out. 

Good heart? The little guy v The Man: when ordinary people take on Trump, Fox, the government and more 

The dude is a corporatist born with a silver spoon in his mouth who just settled a 25 million dollar lawsuit (another of his great lies "I never settle") for not just defrauding people but for intentionally targeting the financially vulnerable to defraud. The scottland golf course episode is a perfect example of his heart. He's a scumbag 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2016 at 2:15 PM, Farmer77 said:

So when should we stop relaxing? When he goes back on his campaign promise to drain the swamp? When he surrounds himself with people who have been bought and paid for by corporations? When he makes statements about curbing constitutionally protected freedom of speech? When he claims there is massive voter fraud (despite a complete lack of evidence) and then tries to block recounts? When he hires K street insiders and former goldman sachs executives?  (ahem.....thats all already happened) 

The dude scammed the nation and it will be years before those who pulled the lever for him are even able to see it. It is definitely time to start freaking the hell out. 

Good heart? The little guy v The Man: when ordinary people take on Trump, Fox, the government and more 

The dude is a corporatist born with a silver spoon in his mouth who just settled a 25 million dollar lawsuit (another of his great lies "I never settle") for not just defrauding people but for intentionally targeting the financially vulnerable to defraud. The scottland golf course episode is a perfect example of his heart. He's a scumbag 

Well, your mind's certainly made up and you evidently don't like that he's saved 1,000 jobs and more from leaving the USA.  Carrier and Ford.  And, he's not even President yet.  

As for his Cabinet picks, I say bravo.  I think he's off to a great start.  

We can agree to disagree.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MJNYC said:

Well, your mind's certainly made up and you evidently don't like that he's saved 1,000 jobs and more from leaving the USA.  Carrier and Ford.  And, he's not even President yet.  

As for his Cabinet picks, I say bravo.  I think he's off to a great start.  

We can agree to disagree.

Well im somewhat ambivalent about the carrier jobs. I mean theyre still sending 1300 to Mexico and Trump is still giving them a tax break (despite what he said he would do to companies that send jobs overseas)  so its kind of a wash. 

Donald Trump’s deal for American jobs doesn’t look as good in the light of day 

Another way to put it is that Carrier will move 1,300 jobs to Mexico, keep 800 in the United States, and be paid for their troubles. The heating and air conditioner company’s original plan was to close two plants in Indiana and move their workforce to facilities in Mexico.  

Edited by Farmer77

On 12/1/2016 at 7:21 PM, LV-426 said:

It's "all of the above" to be honest.

Governments, corporations, law enforcement and cyber criminals all want as much information about you as they can get their hands on. It's not some crazy conspiracy theory any longer. You can clearly see it in laws such as that being discussed here, the increasingly intrusive software used in every connected device we somnambulantly plug into these days, and the increasing ingenuity and technical expertise of cyber criminals.

"I'm not a criminal, so I'm not worried" is naive to say the least. Some people will only understand when they suddenly find themselves in situations such as insurance companies refusing services as they have already assessed you on information that you don't even have access to yourself.

Just a note on corporations using private information that I witnessed through regional market sales. 

Sales goals at work were so high during massive job losses and goals must be met for higher executives not to have regional branches close. The company was  blind calling from phone books to try to meet them.

It was very unproductive, so the regional manager reluctly bought hacked information and public records for better targeting of new business. It was incorporated into our data base for sales people on a seperate system from regular systems with governmental ovrsights. 

It was then I realized large corporations were funding hackers and supporting a black market  to achieve CEO goals, besides the other methods such as opening fake accounts tactics  that Wells Fargo is well known for now.

• Like 2

Hmm so the masses think it's okay then? Well why not agree to have  CCTV planted in your bedrooms.

It isn't just Governments spying on your internet activities, to help "fight terrorism", it's also allowing others to watch too: including the NHS, food standards agencies, gambling commision, financial authorities. You'll get all these agencies checking out your surfing business and then attemtping to sell you stuff, or sell your personal info, hand over details, exchange your privacy and possibly block sites you visit.

Edited by Red Howler