Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Mothman' photographed in West Virginia

Still Waters

Hunters in Mason County may need to be on the lookout for something other than deer when they hit the woods this week.

The Point Pleasant Mothman is a local legend that over the years has gained worldwide fame.

There hadn't been any recent sightings of the red-eyed creature recently, but that changed Sunday evening, when a man who says he was driving along State Route 2 saw something jump from tree to tree. He pulled off the road and snapped some pictures.

http://wchstv.com/news/local/man-photographs-creature-that-resembles-legendary-mothman-of-point-pleasant

Edited by Still Waters
  • Like 1

Damn mothman strikes again, lol. It would be awesome if they are real pics.

• Like 2

The issue I see is, how big is the creature in those pictures? I mean, is there anyway to judge the size from the photos? Mothman is supposed the be around 6 feet tall, right?

• Like 1

I thought that Mothman, if he was real, died in the silver bridge collapse

Now, what action figure did he throw in the air?

• Like 2

Oh for crying out loud!

• Like 2

My guess is an owl carrying a snake.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

My guess is an owl carrying a snake.

Or a little rabbit......Good call.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2016 at 9:16 AM, Lilly said:

The issue I see is, how big is the creature in those pictures? I mean, is there anyway to judge the size from the photos? Mothman is supposed the be around 6 feet tall, right?

Six or seven, yes.

If I still believed in such things, I would argue that this can't be Mothman because it's inconsistent with eyewitness reports. He shouldn't have a head, yet here is a picture with something that has a head.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2016 at 9:08 AM, preacherman76 said:

Damn mothman strikes again, lol. It would be awesome if they are real pics.

Ahh the great mothman... When I was a kid my weird  mother decided to go on a road trip to look for him before the bridge fell, since she heard of the first sightings. My parents and I saw red eyes in the woods on the way home, probably an owl that's about it. 

Lots of people down there, have played alot of tricks on others after the myth became good for the town. I feel for the guy who took the photo if he didn't do it as a hoax.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2016 at 10:21 AM, Willstone said:

I thought that Mothman, if he was real, died in the silver bridge collapse

I thought the military killed it? There was a story of some sort of them shooting it down and telling a couple that drove up on the incident that they have nothing more to fear now. Or something like that.

Lets say this is a real picture. Why would Mothman return to Point Pleasant? Fond memories? 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2016 at 8:00 PM, NightScreams said:

I thought the military killed it? There was a story of some sort of them shooting it down and telling a couple that drove up on the incident that they have nothing more to fear now. Or something like that.

I never heard this story.

The general story says that he just "disappeared" after the Silver Bridge collapsed. I think it was because people were so devastated by the tragedy that they just stopped looking (and talking about) Mothman. Hence why he disappeared. To keep a topic relevant, you need people to talk about it. My guess is that he "disappeared" because people were too busy grieving to talk about the alleged creature. Because the sightings stopped abruptly after the collapse of the bridge, this leads me to believe that it didn't exist in the first place. The Mothman legend was kept alive by word of mouth alone.

Edited by UFO_Monster

On 12/9/2016 at 6:49 PM, UFO_Monster said:

I never heard this story.

The general story says that he just "disappeared" after the Silver Bridge collapsed. I think it was because people were so devastated by the tragedy that they just stopped looking (and talking about) Mothman. Hence why he disappeared. To keep a topic relevant, you need people to talk about it. My guess is that he "disappeared" because people were too busy grieving to talk about the alleged creature. Because the sightings stopped abruptly after the collapse of the bridge, this leads me to believe that it didn't exist in the first place. The Mothman legend was kept alive by word of mouth alone.

Well a 2 person witness account of the military presence one night after the collapse, shooting at 'something' sounds more logical than just a guess of it's disappearance.

Edited by NightScreams

8 hours ago, Old Man by the Sea said:

Nice story here on how the Mothman stories got started. Not sure if i'm linking this correctly.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mothman

I loved the movie. 

I wonder why they would lowball the number of deaths in the movie. That seems counter-productive to sensationalizing.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:57 PM, Princess Serenity said:

Lets say this is a real picture. Why would Mothman return to Point Pleasant? Fond memories? 

Probably to get a t-shirt with himself on it. Moth-ception.

On 12/10/2016 at 10:48 PM, Old Man by the Sea said:

Nice story here on how the Mothman stories got started. Not sure if i'm linking this correctly.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mothman

I loved the movie. 

Yeah I thought the movie was great. I loved the eerie surreal feeling throughout it. I especially loved this quote:

If there was a car crash ten blocks away, that window washer up there could probably see it. Now, that doesn't mean he's God, or even smarter than we are. But from where he's sitting, he can see a little further down the road.

Edited by ChaosRose