Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Marijuana users low blood supply in brain

seeder

Marijuana users 'have abnormally low blood flow in every part of the brain - including Alzheimer's danger zones'

Researchers studied brain scans of 1,000 US marijuana users
    They found cannabis users all had low blood flow in the hippocampus
    The users also had significant restricted blood flow all over the brain
    Hippocampus is key for memories, and is a ground zero for Alzheimer's

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3979220/Marijuana-users-abnormally-low-blood-flow-brain-including-Alzheimer-s-danger-zones.html#ixzz4RLV9ATe8

• Like 5

As a suprise to no one but the hardcore pot heads in denial of any negative effects

• Like 5

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

As a suprise to no one but the hardcore pot heads in denial of any negative effects

:lol: Thats why it was called 'dope'  :lol:

Now.... wheres my spliff gone...

• Like 4

lol this is gonna help me rethink how often I smoke the stuff and if I should at all.

• Like 4

For a less DailyMail version of this article... Sorry Seeder, just that DM loads horribly with all it's extra stuff. From News Medical Life Sciences: http://www.news-medical.net/news/20161128/Study-finds-abnormally-low-blood-flow-in-the-brain-of-marijuana-users.aspx

Here's the IOS abstract: http://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-alzheimers-disease/jad160833

And interesting side-tidbit. An article from 2005 about a study done on marijuana use, and that it can affect blood flow in the brain after abstinence: https://www.aan.com/pressroom/home/pressrelease/250

There have been some studies about marijuana effects in the past. I'm hoping with some of the changing societal views and laws on it, we can really start digging our claws into this plant and really find out what it can and can't do. Anecdotal evidence is great, but studies like these are what we really need to figure out what is going on with this plant.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Marijuana saved my life so Im a tad bit biased but even I admit there are known negative side effects and probably many we dont know about yet. 

That being said though I have a hard time trusting just about any science regarding the subject at this point. Not too long ago a Uni came out with a study (australian uni maybe?) which listed a host of negatives purportedly caused by marijuana. It didnt take too long for the contradictory studies to come out or the uni's connections to politically and monetarily motivated organizations to become uncovered. 

For reference go back to the government "study" that showed marijuana killed brain cells The Emperor Wears No Clothes  

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Marijuana saved my life so Im a tad bit biased but even I admit there are known negative side effects and probably many we dont know about yet. 

That being said though I have a hard time trusting just about any science regarding the subject at this point. Not too long ago a Uni came out with a study (australian uni maybe?) which listed a host of negatives purportedly caused by marijuana. It didnt take too long for the contradictory studies to come out or the uni's connections to politically and monetarily motivated organizations to become uncovered. 

For reference go back to the government "study" that showed marijuana killed brain cells The Emperor Wears No Clothes  

Ya, I also benefited heavily from medicinal pot, to look after something that I was unable to take traditional medications for.  I hate "studies" like this, as they drive stigma around a medical solution that comes with far less side effects, far more side benefits, and at a significantly cheaper cost than many of the prescription drugs it replaces.  Of course pot has side effects, everything does - you can kill yourself by drinking too much water.  But this just reeks of both the "big pharma" and alcohol lobbies, currently two of the biggest opponents of legalizing pot for what should be obvious reasons.  

Not to mention in about two seconds of fact checking I found this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2016/07/05/marijuana-compounds-show-promise-in-protecting-brain-cells-from-alzheimers/#59dd03e53ffb

http://www.businessinsider.com/health-benefits-of-medical-marijuana-2014-4

https://www.medicaljane.com/2014/12/14/4-mind-blowing-ways-marijuana-can-help-your-brain/

I could keep going, but we all have Google. :)  

Basically, more and more studies are coming out all the time debunking alarmist claims that legalizing pot represents the end of civilization, and is akin to a biological attack.  hehe...  In over 5000 years of continuous human consumption, not a single death has been attributed to smoking pot alone, I'd put that track record up against the majority of prescription drugs, not to mention against alcohol, if discussing the recreational side.  

• Like 3

"If you feel "strung-out" when not indulging in a habit, the habit is probably not good for you", says me, who has just recently kicked the habit.  (Under the influence is not the real you).

I speak of recreational not medicinal, so don't be shouting at me.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"If you feel "strung-out" when not indulging in a habit, the habit is probably not good for you", says me, who has just recently kicked the habit.  (Under the influence is not the real you).

I speak of recreational not medicinal, so don't be shouting at me.

Oh come on, it's way more fun to shout at each other... :P 

Of course you are right...anything outside of healthy consumption is a problem, and education and treatment should be part of any legalization process.  On the recreational side a pretty well established model exists for alcohol that would transfer nicely.  

• Like 4

I grew up around it, but was the only one in my highschool who did not use it.  One girl is perma stoned.  Her dad would let them light up whenever they wanted it.  She started young, before highschool.  Her brain wasn't even formed yet and she was introducing a lot of drug to it.  And that is the problem so many people look at it as 'natural' and will use it all the time.  Anything that changes brain chemistry will affect the brain make up.  

• Like 3