Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who is answering your questions?

HarleyQ

If its positive take it and apply it to your life. Remember what is meant for you will never miss you. Its all part of a greater plan. Hope that helped. Welcome to UM!

Al lot of people have a lot of views on God. but for me I do not have that challenge.  I would ask God for an answer and measure that answer according to His guidelines.

Example : I need to make a choice about.my job. I pray that the Lord gives me guidance. if the job is meant for me I ask that He puts things in place for it to happen. God doesn't provide a multitude of choices, I have always conducted myself that if I have more than one choice, one of them is incorrect.  I then make it an issue of prayer. I do not force the choice.  

IMO, if it is from God I have not experienced doubt or fear about the choice. it is a clear choice that brings me calmness and peace.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HarleyQ said:

God sometimes confuses you a lot. He gives you answers to what you ask. But, how can you be sure that it's him answering and not Satan? 

In answer to your question, I'm an apatheist. I neither believe or care if God exists. Satan is far less a consideration. They have no dominion on me.

You presume that a deity speaks to me in the first part.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just think for yourself.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2016 at 4:23 PM, HarleyQ said:

God sometimes confuses you a lot. He gives you answers to what you ask. But, how can you be sure that it's him answering and not Satan? 

There are tests ..... whether  you see this 'dynamic' as anywhere in the range between  God / Satan ........    hallucinations of a good order / hallucinations of a bad order  .  The tests are valid as they also pertain to psychological phenomena .  They are also the basics and rules of  evocative magic.     

Without this knowledge .... you may as well start pulling your house electrical wiring apart to fix it yourself, instead of  learning about electricity first . 

And they have to be the right tests ..... these 'critters' can be just as tricky as the human mind that creates the most wild, diverese, innovative and interconnected scenarios to maintain its supportive fantasies ..... which we see  fairly often with some posters here . 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 4:34 PM, DebDandelion said:

Al lot of people have a lot of views on God. but for me I do not have that challenge.  I would ask God for an answer and measure that answer according to His guidelines.

But ....   as the OP  suggests , if it isnt God then you are asking an imposter if they are God or the imposter . 

On 11/29/2016 at 4:34 PM, DebDandelion said:

Example : I need to make a choice about.my job. I pray that the Lord gives me guidance. if the job is meant for me I ask that He puts things in place for it to happen. God doesn't provide a multitude of choices, I have always conducted myself that if I have more than one choice, one of them is incorrect.  I then make it an issue of prayer. I do not force the choice.  

IMO, if it is from God I have not experienced doubt or fear about the choice. it is a clear choice that brings me calmness and peace.

I think the idea here is that  'satan' can trick you , the best way is to make you feel calm and peaceful about what is happening .

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

conscious-subconscious.jpg

I'd go with myself, because my subconscious said it was so.

Good Lord !     Africa is sinking ? !    Quick !  Everyone up to Morocco  !  

• Like 6

On 11/28/2016 at 10:23 PM, HarleyQ said:

Always think twice.

8 hours ago, back to earth said:

But ....   as the OP  suggests , if it isnt God then you are asking an imposter if they are God or the imposter . 

I think the idea here is that  'satan' can trick you , the best way is to make you feel calm and peaceful about what is happening .

I don't agree...but to defend why I don't agree I have to use things that most disregard,  hence what I answer will be disregarded....so the only thing I can say is out of experience,  when God answers it is one option instead of two,  I have calmness about the situation and everything falls in place... 

Edited by DebDandelion
Yes...Satan does try to trick one
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 0:23 AM, HarleyQ said:

You have to get to know his will. Lets say a kid prays to God that his team wins the tournament or whatever. God doesn't care about that. Another example, a man prays his wife recovers from terminal cancer, that isn't in God's will either, it was his will that we all die due to our sin. World peace? God doesn't want world peace as such, until he brings it about because he knows we can't do it without him. On the other hand, to pray that God's kingdom removes all the other existing kingdoms putting an end to suffering, death, and the current messed up world is within God's will. Praying he forgive others as one would like to be forgiven themselves is within his will.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 9:23 PM, HarleyQ said:

In Christianity, people, whose hearts have been "transformed" by the loving grace of the Holy Spirit, belong to Christ, the Lord. "...the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." The keyword here is "transformed." It is a conscious, mystical change, not a daydream, nor dreaming.

"Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life."

In this 'new life,' you are His throughout eternity -- a brand new life of deepening love (and everything that goes with it) with Christ, the Lord.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ehrman Pagels 1 said:

In Christianity, people, whose hearts have been "transformed" by the loving grace of the Holy Spirit, belong to Christ, the Lord. "...the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." The keyword here is "transformed." It is a conscious, mystical change, not a daydream, nor dreaming.

"Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life."

In this 'new life,' you are His throughout eternity -- a brand new life of deepening love (and everything that goes with it) with Christ, the Lord.

You do realize all that happens on a psychological level right? 

Jesus exist in your psyche because he's a thought-form (fancy word for well formed idea) that exist in your head. The more you strengthen this thought-form the more power you give it over yourself. Which can have a wide variety of effect. From religious fervor to suicidal guilt. That all depends on the concept of God or Jesus you have. So what you adore so much is just an idea. Remember Spirituality is just another word for The Feels. I'm not even going to evoke the holy dopamine ghost on this. 

• Like 2

Xeno

I'm not even going to evoke the holy dopamine ghost on this.  

Lol, davros has a disciple now?

Anyway, even granting a translation of the original post into psychological lingo, the problem stated, discernment, is well posed.

In whatever language you prefer to use, how is the OP to attain reliable discernment?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, eight bits said:

In whatever language you prefer to use, how is the OP to attain reliable discernment?

In my case, I go by results, and I can only say that I'm very grateful and humbled by my faith in Christ. This is the happiest period of my life.

Edited by Ehrman Pagels 1
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2016 at 11:23 PM, HarleyQ said:

My suggestion is to switch from thinking of God as someone who "answers prayers" to someone who also "gives wisdom". We humans are unique in creation, in that we have free will. Unlike animals, we can choose to not be subject to hormones and neurochemicals.  Along with free will comes responsibility, and the expectation of making wise decisions. I began making better decisions when I began studying the Book of Proverbs in the Old Testament. The book describes its purpose in the first chapter:

"for gaining wisdom and instruction;
    for understanding words of insight;
for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,
    doing what is right and just and fair;
for giving prudence to those who are simple,[a]
    knowledge and discretion to the young—"   Proverbs 1:2-4

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2016 at 0:23 AM, HarleyQ said:

That's why one needs a church. One can and should share your testimonies with his/her sisters and brothers and Pastors. Discernment is gift to a lot of Christians.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eight bits said:

how is the OP to attain reliable discernment?

300px-Double-Stuf-Oreos13.jpg

This is your answer.

Person A is a believer, Person B is not. Let's play a scenario shall we.

has before her an entire package of oreo's but is in a bit of a dilemma. So eat all of them or not. So she ask in prayer for advice.

"I don't know what to do Lord. I want to eat them all but I know I'll want some later. Ugh, this is confusing."

Does something similar except.

"I don't know what to do. I want to eat them all, but I'll want some later. Ugh, this is confusing."

What both A and B have done is pose a question to themselves. Did it through the medium of spirituality asking her concept of god for advice. So in her corner is has a automatic pro and con. She can go with the "Save it for later" (God) or "Eat them all now" (Devil). She may feel guilt of she eats them all. Because of her beliefs. 

Person doesn't have this issue. She can by choice own up fully to the repercussion of eating them all (might get sick) or eating only a few. 

Both and are basically doing the same thing. Both will have to live with the results of their choices.

9 hours ago, eight bits said:

Lol, davros has a disciple now?

Davros does make sense, but I'm more interested in the thoughts behind the actions that lead up to the Holy Dopamine Ghost.:lol:

I don't always agree with him on his views either. Dopamine might be the kick starter for a lot of behavior, but habit is the master.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ehrman Pagels 1 said:

In my case, I go by results, and I can only say that I'm very grateful and humbled by my faith in Christ. This is the happiest period of my life.

Regardless of how my view is and your view is the bold is the most important. I have so far not seen you being pushy about your beliefs. I pretty much see it as self-help, self-therapy, and a spiritually (emotionally) motivated affirmations. That's just my take. God in my view is just a projection based on an individuals concept of what god is. 

If you were to speak about god being an objective truth, we've got threads for that. If god is a subjective things to you I could care less (in a good way). Subjectively it's between you and your god. It's the objective view that can create terror cells.:no:

• Like 1

Xeno

This is your answer.

Person A is a believer, Person B is not. Let's play a scenario shall we.

A has before her an entire package of oreo's but is in a bit of a dilemma. So eat all of them or not. So she ask in prayer for advice.

"I don't know what to do Lord. I want to eat them all but I know I'll want some later. Ugh, this is confusing."

B Does something similar except.

"I don't know what to do. I want to eat them all, but I'll want some later. Ugh, this is confusing."

What both A and B have done is pose a question to themselves. A Did it through the medium of spirituality asking her concept of god for advice. So in her corner is has a automatic pro and con. She can go with the "Save it for later" (God) or "Eat them all now" (Devil). She may feel guilt of she eats them all. Because of her beliefs.

Person B doesn't have this issue. She can by choice own up fully to the repercussion of eating them all (might get sick) or eating only a few.

Both A and B are basically doing the same thing. Both will have to live with the results of their choices.

Your personal interpretation may be that A is posing the question to herself, and who knows? I might even agree with you, but that was not the premise of the OP's question. On SR & B we are asked to accept posters' framing premises (here, that conversation with God or Satan is possible) in order to address the specific issue offered for discussion (how might humans discern good and bad sources).

Also, and maybe I'm just not following you, but it sounds like A already knows who's who, if her premise is accepted. She might have a problem of being tempted to go with what she knows is diabolically bad advice, but she does seem to realize that that option is "diabolical."

Finally, and here I know I am not following you, why is the information which is available to B about the natural consequences of each option unavailable to A? Isn't the prospect of getting sick from an Oreo binge a legitimately useful hint as to which advice might be better?

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1

Agreed. Faith, by definition, has nothing to do with being completely (materially) concrete, at least so far since we do not have the science to measure the otherworldly realm, or the touch of the Divine.

Faith, however, is deeper than belief since it is not based on text alone. People with deep faith have experienced the otherworldly through death and NDE. In spite of all that, faith is not concrete.

I have seen my body rejuvenate from decay, but I did not see "the hand of the prime mover" or some kind of force or glow to quickly remove the decay and smell. The speed of the healing is uncanny, though. So, this is where faith comes in since "It's like this, but it's really not that," kind of thing.

On the other hand, there is a Catholic mystic named Brother Carmelo Cortez, who is a conduit(?) of "rose petal images." I have never seen him in person, but would very much like to experience the event. National Geographic should do an official documentary...

Brother Carmelo Cortez ("miraculous" rose petals)

55 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Xeno

Your personal interpretation may be that A is posing the question to herself, and who knows? I might even agree with you, but that was not the premise of the OP's question. On SR & B we are asked to accept posters' framing premises (here, that conversation with God or Satan is possible) in order to address the specific issue offered for discussion (how might humans discern good and bad sources).

Also, and maybe I'm just not following you, but it sounds like A already knows who's who, if her premise is accepted. She might have a problem of being tempted to go with what she knows is diabolically bad advice, but she does seem to realize that that option is "diabolical."

Finally, and here I know I am not following you, why is the information which is available to B about the natural consequences of each option unavailable to A? Isn't the prospect of getting sick from an Oreo binge a legitimately useful hint as to which advice might be better?

Perhaps I messed up in my explanation. What I was going for was that both person A and B know the same thing, they are just going from different perspective. A and B know that they might get sick by eating all the oreo's. They both might feel guilty by doing that. They also both know that if they save them they'll have some for later. I didn't make myself clear. So that's on me.

The point is that's it's metaphorically the same cereal just a different box. If that makes sense.:unsure2:

• Like 2