Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New wave of political correctness

ellapenella

Did you know that liberal professors outnumber conservative professors 12>1 ?

Political ideas alone do not change society, but when enough people with the same ideas form a Party, they can influence how society changes. Sometimes the process of change can be gradual; sometimes it comes from violent revolution, fueled by new political ideas.

with that, there's this:

According to OSU student Hallie Crow, ISIS-inspired jihadist Abdul Razak Ali Artan was part of a group assignment working on a presentation about “microaggressions”.

Microaggressions are a set of words and behaviors characterized by far left professors and radicals as being politically incorrect, racist or offensive towards minorities.

According to different universities, microaggressions include “identifying as American,” and using the word “American” because it is “problematic”.

http://www.infowars.com/ohio-university-terrorist-was-a-social-justice-warrior/

And the other link here is the professor who say's it's been taught incorrectly. I question if it was intentional. I also question why these students did not have the sense to recognize the wrong in what they were being taught. Is this a minor problem or not?

Derald Wing Sue is a professor of psychology at Columbia University. He's also an early promoter of the idea of "microaggressions." Lists of potential microaggressions, maintained by universities, used his research as a basis.

But Sue is concerned that these universities have missed the point. It was never about shaming or punishing people, he says. In fact, he doesn't think that people who commit microaggressions are necessarily racist or sexist.

http://www.chronicle.com/article/What-Happens-When-Your/236949

3 minutes ago, Yamato said:

Donald Trump?

Indeed, even the liberal establishment agrees that something must be done. It wasn’t a conservative magazine that published The Coddling of The American Mind, and it wasn’t conservatives who co-authored it. Even Michael Bloomberg and the Obamas have raised their voices against the spiral of irrationality currently consuming American campuses.

But who’s going to do anything about it? There’s me, of course— I’ve achieved a number of victories this year, including strengthened free speech protections at the University of Minnesota and the resignation of a pro-censorship professor at DePaul University. Despite being sniffed at by Reason editors and the think-tank set, provocation gets things done.

By the end of this tour I’ll have been on more college campuses than just about anyone. There’s no one in america better qualified to tell it like it is.

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/09/16/donald-trump-education-reform/

The details should be encouraging for anyone who, like me, is concerned by the state of free speech and intellectual rigor at universities. First and foremost, Trump is considering moving the Office of Civil Rights at the Department of Education to the Department of Justice.

From the Breitbart link.

2 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

The details should be encouraging for anyone who, like me, is concerned by the state of free speech and intellectual rigor at universities. First and foremost, Trump is considering moving the Office of Civil Rights at the Department of Education to the Department of Justice.

From the Breitbart link.

Interference with freedom of speech (incarcerating flag burners), with freedom of the press (the "failing" New York Times) and now interference with academic freedom.  My, you would make a strong dictator -- and doing it all in the name of freedom.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

Interference with freedom of speech (incarcerating flag burners), with freedom of the press (the "failing" New York Times) and now interference with academic freedom.  My, you would make a strong dictator -- and doing it all in the name of freedom.

You must be confused. You have it backwards. It's the other way around. The triggered folks are the ones who are totalitarian. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

You must be confused. You have it backwards. It's the other way around. The triggered folks are the ones who are totalitarian. 

There. there Ella. Keep telling yourself that.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

That man's self congratulatory rhetoric makes me want to puke.

According to OSU student Hallie Crow, ISIS-inspired jihadist Abdul Razak Ali Artan was part of a group assignment working on a presentation about “microaggressions”.

Microaggressions are a set of words and behaviors characterized by far left professors and radicals as being politically incorrect, racist or offensive towards minorities.

According to different universities, microaggressions include “identifying as American,” and using the word “American” because it is “problematic”.

1 minute ago, Ellapennella said:

Which has nothing to do with Breitbart's poster boy, Mia. Who you brought up, to which I replied.

Try again, or at least stay on the same page you raise.

20 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Which has nothing to do with Breitbart's poster boy, Mia. Who you brought up, to which I replied.

Try again, or at least stay on the same page you raise.

Political ideas alone do not change society, but when enough people with the same ideas form a Party, they can influence how society changes. Sometimes the process of change can be gradual; sometimes it comes from violent revolution, fueled by new political ideas.

with that, there's this:

http://www.infowars.com/ohio-university-terrorist-was-a-social-justice-warrior/

And the other link here is the professor who say's it's been taught incorrectly. I question if it was intentional. I also question why these students did not have the sense to recognize the wrong in what they were being taught. Is this a minor problem or not?

Derald Wing Sue is a professor of psychology at Columbia University. He's also an early promoter of the idea of "microaggressions." Lists of potential microaggressions, maintained by universities, used his research as a basis.

But Sue is concerned that these universities have missed the point. It was never about shaming or punishing people, he says. In fact, he doesn't think that people who commit microaggressions are necessarily racist or sexist.

http://www.chronicle.com/article/What-Happens-When-Your/236949

You're regurgitating your own second hand verbal puke to make a point.

I was addressing your post, #3. You raised Mia, in that how he is so great.

Then you go off in a different tangent, again.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

There. there Ella. Keep telling yourself that.

Ella is right on this. The Political Correct group are using slander tactics and shaming tactics to shut political opponents or debating professors from campuses, thus further eroding freedom of speech. Campuses across United States now have Free Speech Zones where it is the only place you can speak your mind without backlash from college campus. Outside that zone, you can't say certain words or debate about certain topics without getting fined by the college aka thought police that constantly patrol. It is basically a police state inside those campus and it is teaching the children within those colleges that they don't have to debate or even try to understand the world around them, they can just force the world to abide by their views regardless if it is bad or not. It is having a negative impact on the education of college students and it is destroying the very fabric of our society from inside out.  All the protests and riots you are seeing today, this is caused by the Political Correctness run amok. It is harmful to real change and real progress, it is harmful towards innocent citizens and the society as a whole, it is harmful towards our nations protection and identity. One thing I noticed about these groups that rely on political correctness, they can't even think for themselves and must rely on someone else to tell them what to do. They are so incapable for dealing with the world today, that they shut down when someone says a certain word aka trigger word, then they completely rage out without any logic behind their reasoning. They love to surround themselves with like minded people and then attack people who have different views than they do, it is terrible and straight up the worse ideology that has been produced in the history of mankind. If you can't see that, I am sorry, but you are part of the problem instead of the answer because political correctness causes more fights than it settles.

It isn't about intellectual conversations anymore. It is do as I say, not learn as you go.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 5

"They love to surround themselves with like minded people and then attack people who have different views than they"

Look in a damn mirror.

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

"They love to surround themselves with like minded people and then attack people who have different views than they"

Look in a damn mirror.

Likely Guy. Now you are trying to turn it around on me. I agree with one topic from her and I surrounded myself with like minded people? No... not really. I have been on the opposite side of the spectrum on all topics, depending on my views and beliefs.  I have even debated against Ella and called out her bull**** before, but when someone is right, they are right regardless who they are. Stop trying to make it personal...

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

Likely Guy. Now you are trying to turn it around on me. I agree with one topic from her and I surrounded myself with like minded people? No... not really. I have been on the opposite side of the spectrum on all topics, depending on my views and beliefs.  I have even debated against Ella and called out her bull**** before, but when someone is right, they are right regardless who they are. Stop trying to make it personal...

Be that as it may, you made the "like minded" person comment. I'm not privy or aware of you or all our comments.

Nor does that make a difference, and no, she's not right. Assertions require proof.

- I must have triggered something in you?

Edited by Likely Guy

28 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Be that as it may, you made the "like minded" person comment. I'm not privy or aware of you or all our comments.

Nor does that make a difference, and no, she's not right. Assertions require proof.

How about the time when students Missouri shut down anything counter their views?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/11/can-we-take-political-correctness-seriously-now.html

How about the time LGBT attacked a Governer for wanting to protect his belief instead of teaching why he is wrong by explaining why?

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/378755/freedom-expression-and-political-correctness-jason-lee-steorts

OR how about dividing students... targeting them based on their views.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the-culture-of-extreme-political-correctness-at-universities-is-dangerous-to-freedom-of-speech-a6734091.html

How about the fact many professors have stated that political correctness is a form of censorship disguised as protecting people from being hurt...

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4862/berkeley-free-speech

Now tell me that this political correctness isn't hurting intellectual  conversation and freedom of speech?

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 5

Say what you want to say. Stop hiding behind links.

Lend a personal example where you have been harmed by political correctness.

I'm not going to read your asinine great lengths of links in order to counter a point that didn't matter.

Get off your intellectual butt.

Edited by Likely Guy

1 hour ago, Uncle Sam said:

Ella is right on this. The Political Correct group are using slander tactics and shaming tactics to shut political opponents or debating professors from campuses, thus further eroding freedom of speech. 

You mean.... Bullying????

How ironic that those who promote fighting bullies are bullies themselves.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

You mean.... Bullying????

How ironic that those who promote fighting bullies are bullies themselves.

Irony is the darkest force of humour while parody wears a smile.

• Like 2

Are short people still "vertically challenged" ?

Just now, Habitat said:

Are short people still "vertically challenged" ?

Insensitive b******. :)

No, they're horizontally gifted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uncle Sam said:

Now tell me that this political correctness isn't hurting intellectual  conversation and freedom of speech?

I don't mean to tell you your business but you're wasting your time with LG.  I'm not sure what it was that "triggered" him but he cannot be reasoned with any longer.  When someone reaches that point, I just ignore them.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

Say what you want to say. Stop hiding behind links.

Lend a personal example where you have been harmed by political correctness.

I'm not going to read your asinine great lengths of links in order to counter a point that didn't matter.

Get off your intellectual butt.

So bringing in proof that is happening... is asinine? Didn't realize you can go that low. It has happen to many times, I been to college and didn't abide by their norms, I challenge them and was expelled from campus. I live near OSU for crying out loud, I interact with college kids every day. I live in Oklahoma, I am constantly belittled due to the fact I live in the south for apparently supporting slavery when in-fact, Oklahoma was Native American land at the time. Gotten off my ass more than anyone on these forums, because I live in a state that is known for having Tornadoes rip through the state every year and at least a town or more is destroyed. Protected and even stood up for the Gays, Straights, Atheists, Lesbians, Minorities, Majority... you name it, I have done what I can and I am judged for it. I rather see the truth be brought to the forefront, regardless how bad it hurts to see it. Ugh...

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, and then said:

I don't mean to tell you your business but you're wasting your time with LG.  I'm not sure what it was that "triggered" him but he cannot be reasoned with any longer.  When someone reaches that point, I just ignore them.  

Alright... guess I should just let it go instead of trying to reason with him and maybe give him a alternative view of what is happening.

• Like 1