Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are dogs so different ?

UM-Bot

Different breeds may have different tendencies but there are still individual difference within a breed. For example, one of the meanest dogs I ever encountered was a Cocker Spaniel and one of the sweetest I've ever known was my girlfriend's dog 'Petunia', a Rottweiler.

• Like 1

I expect that to some extent they were bred for the environment as well as function. I wouldn't expect to see a Mexican Shorthair herding reindeer in Lappland. But I agree with you about Cocker Spaniels, Lilly. They are cute as buttons, but some are meaner than hell. And some, like the last Cocker my parents had, are just plain insane. I think that's a result of overbreeding, myself.

9 minutes ago, brlesq1 said:

I expect that to some extent they were bred for the environment as well as function. I wouldn't expect to see a Mexican Shorthair herding reindeer in Lappland. But I agree with you about Cocker Spaniels, Lilly. They are cute as buttons, but some are meaner than hell. And some, like the last Cocker my parents had, are just plain insane. I think that's a result of overbreeding, myself.

Absolutely correct, form does follow function. I also agree that Cocker Spaniels have (in many cases) been very poorly bred. A dog's personality is a blending of genetics (nature) and upbringing (nuture).  

• Like 1

I had a yellow Lab for almost 15 years, died a few years ago , buried him in the back yard. He was a magnificent dog . I've got 3 Chihuahuas, excellent watch dogs, good companions ( people give them away  here like kittens, here in the American Southwest) and a Cow Dog (Border Collie).

I've always said it, still believe it;   Dogs are some of the best people you'll ever meet.