Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Diamond battery lasts 5000 years!

seeder

A diamond battery made from nuclear waste could last more than 5,000 YEARS

Diamond produces a charge when placed next to a radioactive source
    There are no moving parts, no emissions and no maintenance is needed
    Scientists bleieve a battery built in 2016 could last until the year 7746
    Because the radioactive source is encased safely within diamond - the hardest known substance - it would be safe to use, say the researchers

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3993314/A-diamond-battery-nuclear-waste-5-000-YEARS.html#ixzz4RhQgtRDI

• Like 3

who would pay for that? Hey, Im 50 years old..... any battery I could want..... I may only need for the next 20 to 30 years, till Im dead and buried!   I wouldnt wanna pay for for the other 4,900 years!  :lol:

Ill buy it off of you lol

• Like 2

Why isn't this in my new iphone??

• Like 1

Bearing in mind that diamond hasn't been the hardest known substance for about 15 years (its the 4th) I'm not filled with confidence by some moron making claims about safe nuclear batteries.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 2

The Voyager probe.... had a nuke battery, and how long ago was that made? So does the mars over... Curiosity

This energy source is not that of a nuclear reactor, in which atoms are actively broken apart, but rather a kind of nuclear battery that uses natural radioactive decay to produce power.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/26/us/voyager-s-heartbeat-is-nuclear-battery.html

Because of the nature of radioactive decay, Curiosity is going to get a whole lot more than 2 years out of its power source. Curiosity will be getting enough power to keep active for a bare minimum of 14 years (see Specifications> Power Source), though the amount of power it has will steadily decrease over time (from 125 Watts initially to 100 Watts after 14 years). I don't think the battery is likely to be the limiting factor in this case.

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/144/about-how-long-will-curiosity-last-on-its-nuclear-power

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Sounds great. Unfortunately there are many people who go all crazy as soon as they hear the words "nuclear" or "radioactive", they go out demonstrating in the streets etc, so it would not be easy to make a reality.

On 2016-12-02 at 5:42 PM, seeder said:

who would pay for that? Hey, Im 50 years old..... any battery I could want..... I may only need for the next 20 to 30 years, till Im dead and buried!   I wouldnt wanna pay for for the other 4,900 years!  :lol:

I don't think you will find a battery that lasts as long as 20-30 years anywhere so you'd better take this one anyway even if it lasts a bit longer than you need.

7 hours ago, fred_mc said:

I don't think you will find a battery that lasts as long as 20-30 years anywhere

Then you didnt read about the Voyager 2 spacecraft I mentioned, launched in 1977.....with nuclear battery thats still going. And just think how much MORE we understand 40 years after building that...... way back then......

NASA's Voyager Probes Still Healthy After Nearly 4 Decades in Space

http://www.space.com/26041-nasa-voyager-probes-solar-system-legacy.html

• Like 1

On 2.12.2016 at 6:36 PM, MissJatti said:

Because its so hip to meet others at the AppleStore for a cool, stunning and exciting battery replacement event, entry fee $79 only.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2016 at 5:36 PM, MissJatti said:

Because they have to make sure you'll buy the next model.

8 hours ago, seeder said:

Then you didnt read about the Voyager 2 spacecraft I mentioned, launched in 1977.....with nuclear battery thats still going. And just think how much MORE we understand 40 years after building that...... way back then......

No, I missed reading that. I have always thought that the Voyager probes had nuclear reactors, didn't know that they are more like batteries.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

No, I missed reading that. I have always thought that the Voyager probes had nuclear reactors, didn't know that they are more like batteries.

and the Mars rovers too have nuke 'batteries', again mentioned in my previous posts on this page... Its good to read threads properly, then you dont miss pertinent info....and say things like....its impossible.... or similar, tho Im pleased at least you know it now!

By the way, the term battery is fairly accurate in these cases.... but not a battery youd recognise

Edited by seeder

• 3 months later...

so the battery is actually just a constant output of energy from the emission of energyin the nuclear waste? you couldn't just flick that on and off? power a laptop or cell phone?

On 02/12/2016 at 4:42 PM, seeder said:

You'd probably just rent it.