Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man is attempting to swim across the Atlantic

UM-Bot

man.. and I cant even swim across the pool , jk :P

what a feat this would be. the ultimate bragging rights.

• Like 1

This sounds like plenty of scope for cheating, since I believe he's going to be accompanied by a Boat which will take him in at night for a kip and so on. Now, will there be a team of monitors watching closely to make sure that the boat stays in the same position all night so that he can resume where he left off, and make sure that it doesn't purely inadvertently :innocent: move a few miles before he set off again, thus enabling him to save a few miles in distance every night... ?

• Like 1

Hey Bob watcha doing? 

Oh I'm just chumming the water.

Ugh dude. There's a guy swimming beside the boat. Well, at least there was.

• Like 1

Whoua!, what a challenge!, hope he will get through it, if he did only 67 miles in 18 days, he's swimming 3,72 miles a day, he has 1,833 miles left ahead, then that would mean 492,7 more days ahead, that ain't a small thing.  He will of age 1 year and 127.7 days, remarquable if he can hold on to this gigantic human effort.

More power to him.  I hope he makes it.  I didn't see this in the article, bt is he wearing a wet suit?  I hope so.u

Iv never quite understood what makes someone wake up and be like. 

"Yeah know, I should swim across the Alantic ocean "  

Like that idea has never even crossed my mind lol

This guy is half-assing it. I'm still waiting to see the news of the first human to run, parkour it and swim around the globe in one shot. This guy just wants seafood.

I remember the woman who swam from Havana, Cuba to Key West, Florida surrounded by a shark cage and followed by a boat. That was "only" 90 miles. She had her lips burned by sea water exposure, was stung by jellyfish and buffeted by swells. Sunburn, muscle cramps, dehydration and more. I believe there were two attempts and the first one failed. I'm not sure about the second. 90 miles in tropical seas is quite different from the open ocean. I think this is completely nuts and not possible. But hey, good luck: he'll need it. 

Maybe he's just trying to get the part of Aquaman in the forthcoming Justice League movie.

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, brlesq1 said:

Mad dogs and Englishmen. Good luck, mate!

If you look at all the solo trans-oceanic rowers, they are almost all Englishmen. Has to be an explanation for that !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

This sounds like plenty of scope for cheating, since I believe he's going to be accompanied by a Boat which will take him in at night for a kip and so on. Now, will there be a team of monitors watching closely to make sure that the boat stays in the same position all night so that he can resume where he left off, and make sure that it doesn't purely inadvertently :innocent: move a few miles before he set off again, thus enabling him to save a few miles in distance every night... ?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

That's very ambitious but he's doing it to raise money for charity, so good for him and good luck!

Fighting back: Ben Hooper takes on his critics as he dodges sharks on his Atlantic swim.

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/live-cheltenham-dad-ben-hooper-begins-swimming-the-atlantic/story-29873778-detail/story.html

• Like 2

It doesn't seem to say anywhere what charity he's doing it for. 

No shark cage ? Seems foolish.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:17 AM, Habitat said:

No shark cage ? Seems foolish.

It's a bit hard to swim in one.  Maybe the boat is close enough to haul him in if sharks are sited.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 11:37 AM, Still Waters said:

51 miles done so far?  At this rate it's gonna be a long time before they see any return from it. 

well ... at least he tried ...

~

• Like 2

Surely they must have known this was a potential hazard. Was there no way they could have taken precautions against it? Surely that's just irresponsibility of the highest order if there was nothing they could have done to guard against it but they still allowed him to go on with it.

Seem like he didn't wear a swimsuit, at least, legs, torso, would of been protected.  Anyhow, that's really unfortunate, hope he can continue!

• Like 1

He made it 22 days which is a pretty good accomplishment in my eyes. 

• Like 2