Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fear of fire alarms

Clarakore

People can have a fear of anything, why do you think it's not real?

From your link -

While there is no specific name for the fear of fire alarms, the blanket term “phonophobia” refers to any irrational, debilitating fear of a particular sound, which is generally how a fear of fire alarms or sirens is categorized by experts

• Like 1

You can be terrified of anything.

My son was was terrified to go the toilet when he was younger..
It took several months until he finally told us that it wasnt the dark toilet it was the firealarm detector he was afraid of..
And he had to pass that in our hall to be able to go to the toilet.

It was not the sound he was afraid of it was the red diod blinking once a minute indicating that the battery is still good.
He couldnt explain why he was afraid of it. The fire alarm have never sounded.

Did some very quick research, top 3 weird fears (phobias) for this year, 2016

Nomophobia- fear of being without mobile phone coverage

Pogonophobia- fear of beards

Somniphobia- fear of falling asleep

Edited by MissJatti
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

Did some very quick research, top 3 weird fears (phobias) for this year, 2016

Nomophobia- fear of being without mobile phone coverage

Pogonophobia- fear of beards

Somniphobia- fear of falling asleep

Hipster problems?

• Like 3

I don't think this is that outlandish.  The sounds used in things like that are pretty alarming and alerting after all.  Some people's systems might just over react to the warning blaring off in their ears.  And usually those things are indicators for danger as well.  Seems perfectly reasonable to me that someone could develop a fear to the sound.

Well, smoke detectors are scary, especially when they are gathered together.  Smoke detectors contain radioactive americum, like plutonium.  Especially when many smoke detectors are grouped together they pose a real health concern.

• Like 1

Just now, Opus Magnus said:

Well, smoke detectors are scary, especially when they are gathered together.  Smoke detectors contain radioactive americum, like plutonium.  Especially when many smoke detectors are grouped together they pose a real health concern.

That's if you're stupid enough to take off the protective sealant that contains the radioactive material. Then you deserve what happens to you. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure what the OP question is.

Is it a question at all, or a distaste for alarm?

#7 - "Well, smoke detectors are scary, especially when they are gathered together"
Yes, what do they call it when a herd of smoke detectors gather?...A Panic maybe. Similar to a Murder of crows...Pity those Wal Mart workers who have to restock the diminished herd of plutonium.
I have manhandled 100x more ancient smoke detectors than the average human...Which explains my super powers.

• Like 2

In retrospect, OP title may have (should have) been- Fear Of Fire Arms...But we all know guns don't kill. Fire alarms do.