Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A 14-foot python had three deer in Its gut

Still Waters

A Burmese python in the Everglades with a penchant for venison gulped down three whole deer — one doe and two fawns — before wildlife officials captured and euthanized it, a new study reveals.

The gustatory feat sets a record: It's the first invasive Burmese python (Python molurus bivittatus) caught with three deer in its gut, said study co-lead author Scott Boback, an associate professor of biology at Dickinson College in Pennsylvania.

http://www.seeker.com/a-14-foot-burmese-python-had-three-deer-in-its-gut-2121984903.html

• Like 1

Amazing they can ambush an animal as fast as a deer. The deer in Florida don't get as big as deer around the country because of the nutritional value of the vegetation. Key deer are especially smaller then the others.

I have been to the Glades many times over the last 30+ years and the one thing I have really noticed is less and less of the smaller critters roaming around in the woods-swamps (coons, opossum, ect). I have also come across many very large snake skins and a few large pythons over the years.

• Like 2

Pity though ... a fourteen footer would've been a nice main draw at some Wildlife Park or Zoo ...

~

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lilly said:

Over eating during the holiday season is never a good idea...even if you're a python apparently.

Well the snake had 14lbs of poop inside it when they caught it. holiday season constipation.

• Like 1

Which brings up an interesting point ... snakes can only digest that much IF the conditions are warm and hot enough, which here means the weather has been unseasonably pretty hot and warm for it to digest that kind of a meal ... food for thought eh ?

~

• Like 1

4 hours ago, third_eye said:

Which brings up an interesting point ... snakes can only digest that much IF the conditions are warm and hot enough, which here means the weather has been unseasonably pretty hot and warm for it to digest that kind of a meal ... food for thought eh ?

~

South Florida typically doesn't get its first good cold spell until late November early December.  Seems normal to me.

On 3/12/2016 at 0:30 PM, Still Waters said:

[...] before wildlife officials captured and euthanized it

Euthanized? 

Really? 

Isn't it appropriate enough saying that they killed it? 

• Like 1