Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time isnt real, say Physicists

seeder

OK well I hope they dont expect to be paid for the time it takes them to explain it to us. :lol:   Video in article too.

Time is NOT real: Physicists show EVERYTHING happens at the same time
TIME is not real – it is a human construct to help us differentiate between now and our perception of the past, an equally astonishing and baffling theory states.

The concept of time is simply an illusion made up of human memories, everything that has ever been and ever will be is happening RIGHT NOW.

That is the theory according to a group of esteemed physicists who aim to solve one of the universe’s mysteries.

Most people do not even consider the concept of time but there is nothing in the laws of physics to state that it should move in the forward direction that we know.

The laws of physics are symmetric ultimately meaning that time could have easily moved in a backward direction as it does forward.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/738387/Time-NOT-real-EVERYTHING-happens-same-time-einstein

So er,,, if everything happens at the SAME time..... how come my two sons were born ten years apart?

• Like 4

Well, we know it's all sort of wibbly wobbly, as any good Time Lord would tell you.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, seeder said:

OK well I hope they dont expect to be paid for the time it takes them to explain it to us. :lol:   Video in article too.

So er,,, if everything happens at the SAME time..... how come my two sons were born ten years apart?

Like maybe there is another dimension of place and  time  that connects past present and future when time doesn't move forward or back, they all exist at once. Future or past is like memories, so if your consciousness was in that continuum of no time, you could place yourself at any point in the future or past. Now is just how we are able to perceive part of it by a movement forward? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, White Unicorn said:

Like maybe there is another dimension of place and  time  that connects past present and future when time doesn't move forward or back, they all exist at once. Future or past is like memories, so if your consciousness was in that continuum of no time, you could place yourself at any point in the future or past. Now is just how we are able to perceive part of it by a movement forward? 

Im totally baffled with the idea to be honest. I KNOW I was a child 45 years ago. Unsurprisingly I was about 2 foot tall..... now Im middle aged, 5'9 tall....look totally different, and have greying whiskers and hair! So time must have passed.....just like the years have

• Like 2

Time is NOT real: Physicists show EVERYTHING happens at the same time
TIME is not real – it is a human construct to help us differentiate between now and our perception of the past, an equally astonishing and baffling theory states.

The concept of time is simply an illusion made up of human memories, everything that has ever been and ever will be is happening RIGHT NOW

Physicist show everything happens at the same time theory. What have they shown, other than a theory?

Einstein once said, “For we convinced physicists, the distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion, however persistent.”

These guys aren't new in their thinking.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

Well, we know it's all sort of wibbly wobbly, as any good Time Lord would tell you.

• Like 4

Interesting.... if time does not exist except as a construct then neither do the physical dimensions. So what happens to Planck length and Planck time?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seeder said:

Im totally baffled with the idea to be honest. I KNOW I was a child 45 years ago. Unsurprisingly I was about 2 foot tall..... now Im middle aged, 5'9 tall....look totally different, and have greying whiskers and hair! So time must have passed.....just like the years have

It's a very hard concept to grasp for sure,  very hard to explain and you can't even can't even know if you can put it into words! 

Think of it this way, your consciousness is in the now but if it moves from that place you are experiencing time forward, past makes the memory in the now. The past still exists somewhere. If it didn't you in the now wouldn't really exist or remember it.

I think it's easier to think about us as being in a place in the time space, instead of the movement that causes the perception of time.

It's like a movie frame or a cartoon, that gives the illusion of time when there is movement. Each frame still exists on it's own. So in "time space continuum" the past you exists in a different place and so does your older self. The nothingness between frames is like that other dimension. Like the lapses that are between the different frames of a film, quantum jumps are not noticed in between. (What happened to them in between, when they just reappeared in another place) 

You are never the same person that you were even an hour ago. Cells and memories and thoughts that make you, you,  are different. That's because the time space changed and your consciousness of it moves with it.

Movement of the stars and earth continuously places you in a different PLACE in time space, even though you think you are stationary. You still exist in that other "frame" or that "place" in that other dimension of time. If the movement or time  stops then as an conscious observer  you could see all the frames at once. Future, past and now all exist at once without the illusion of time. 

I probably did as poor of job of explaining the concept as the scientists in the article! LOL

• Like 3

Let's say that time exist to progress physical reality. Now let's think of an under-reality, a mental universe where time doesn't exist. Chronesthesia, for lack of a better term. Let's say that in this mental universe everything we could possible do, had done, will do exist. Infinite possibilities packed into a finite space. Bigger on the inside. Perhaps the brain is a quantum computer on some level. We say then say that having a hunch is knowledge of a potential future event that may or may not happen. That our future reality is dictated by what we choose to do with a collective knowledge that can not be fully know. What if that moment you made an impulse choice was because another version of you wanted to change 'time'. To steer yourself from an event. Perhaps a version of you lead you to hardship because s/he knew the greater outcome.

Maybe an idea just pops into your head about something, something that could change your life. Even as a child when those you had those moments where you just knew something would happen or work out. 

Of course this rambling mess contradict my view on precognitive abilities, sort of. Maybe on some level we know A future, but it doesn't exist till the physical us make it a reality. So to sum up this mess. Physical time exist, mental reality is a wibbly wobbly mess.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Time isn't real and life is an illusion. I'm really a time lord from gallifrey.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/738402/life-an-ILLUSION-reality-does-not-exist-if-you-are-not-looking-at-it

By the way XenoFish, I think some real "angels" may be some kind of time lord like entities and use this kind of science we are just starting to realize that exists in physics. Doesn't make them godlike or paranormal but it explains how people throughout the ages built religions about some of their "miracles". 

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 1

Just now, White Unicorn said:

By the way XenoFish, I think some real "angels" may be some kind of time lord like entities and use this kind of science we are just starting to realize that exists in physics. 

Human descriptions for things we do not know often get muddled in myths. Best to keep them away.

It is true that time is a construct in a way. We use time to measure, how long will it take to get to school/work/grandma's for Christmas. But time is also a matter of perceptions. As time flies or halts. We have those days where we wake up and then realize it bed time, wondering where the day went. Then there are moments where time almost freezes. Fight or flight. 

If time doesn't exist and life is an illusion, then what are we observing? Do you exist or not? I don't know you exist until you reply to this comment. So I think that we may have our own microcosmic reality, a pocket reality which exist only for us. In which we only have a segment of the total of reality itself. But this is also tricky as there are times when we aren't aware of something that just happens. The question is, is there always an observer. Things exist because we are aware of them? 

If time exist then time travel is much easier through thought. 

Of course this is just speculation from a guy who thinks about time way too much. 

Let's take this into a dangerous area, possession. Let's say that you now is the default. But there are times that you switch with a different you depending on the path/choices you make. What if a version of you want's to hijack the active you? How many you's are they? 

I am not 7 years old any more, but I can in my mind travel to a point where the 7 year old me was trick or treating. I can be the observer. What if when people see a ghost it isn't a ghost at all, but a version of you 'time traveling'? 

I think I think too much.:lol:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Human descriptions for things we do not know often get muddled in myths. Best to keep them away.

It is true that time is a construct in a way. We use time to measure, how long will it take to get to school/work/grandma's for Christmas. But time is also a matter of perceptions. As time flies or halts. We have those days where we wake up and then realize it bed time, wondering where the day went. Then there are moments where time almost freezes. Fight or flight. 

If time doesn't exist and life is an illusion, then what are we observing? Do you exist or not? I don't know you exist until you reply to this comment. So I think that we may have our own microcosmic reality, a pocket reality which exist only for us. In which we only have a segment of the total of reality itself. But this is also tricky as there are times when we aren't aware of something that just happens. The question is, is there always an observer. Things exist because we are aware of them? 

If time exist then time travel is much easier through thought. 

Of course this is just speculation from a guy who thinks about time way too much. 

Let's take this into a dangerous area, possession. Let's say that you now is the default. But there are times that you switch with a different you depending on the path/choices you make. What if a version of you want's to hijack the active you? How many you's are they? 

I am not 7 years old any more, but I can in my mind travel to a point where the 7 year old me was trick or treating. I can be the observer. What if when people see a ghost it isn't a ghost at all, but a version of you 'time traveling'? 

I think I think too much.:lol:

I think too much too! 

When I was a kid I wished I had the wisdom of Solomon, because even  if you understood how everything worked you need wisdom to know how you should best use it! 

I speculated and analyzed everything  all my life. I think many ghosts are  from another alternative time just as you said. 

We are the observers and time Lords of conscious will :)

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 1

Just think, the easiest way to double your life expectancy is to just modify your brain to you perceive things twice as fast.  Then, from your perspective, you'll live twice as long!

• Like 1

Just now, Wickian said:

Just think, the easiest way to double your life expectancy is to just modify your brain to you perceive things twice as fast.  Then, from your perspective, you'll live twice as long!

I think you've got that backwards. Alter your perception of time to be slower so that it last longer.:tu:

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

I think you've got that backwards. Alter your perception of time to be slower so that it last longer.:tu:

I think you misunderstood the intent of my words since that is what I said/typed.  I said speed up your brain's perception of time to twice what it is now.  That means thinking faster so every hour that you would perceive would only be half an hour to someone else.

• Like 1

Just now, Wickian said:

I think you misunderstood the intent of my words since that is what I said/typed.  I said speed up your brain's perception of time to twice what it is now.  That means thinking faster so every hour that you would perceive would only be half an hour to someone else.

I think we might have had said the same thing differently.:hmm:

• Like 3

Here's my take on it. but I could be very wrong. The Universe is constantly created and destroyed and actually only exsists in the now. So there for time is actually not a forward and backwards but only a now. And age is a metabolic time change. caused by the constant creation and destruction over time. 

Nope I've confused myself again. I think it's somewhere in there though.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think we might have had said the same thing differently.:hmm:

Well, English does that sometimes.  It's an abomination of a language that has way too many other languages grafted onto it.

Edited by Wickian
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Here's my take on it. but I could be very wrong. The Universe is constantly created and destroyed and actually only exsists in the now. So there for time is actually not a forward and backwards but only a now. And age is a metabolic time change. caused by the constant creation and destruction over time. 

Nope I've confused myself again. I think it's somewhere in there though.

I think I get what your saying. We are in the moment, there is no past, no future. The future doesn't exist till it's realized and the past is gone never to be see again. Did I hit or miss with that?

• Like 2

Sounds about right. so that the past, that second that you remember is physically no longer here. that universe is gone and new one, (the second after you read this) is about to be created and this universe will no longer exsist.

The world really is ending, but wait it's back again.

Edited by Kismit