Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dangerous drivers who kill could face life

Still Waters

Drivers who cause death by dangerous or careless driving could get life in prison under new government proposals.

Ministers want to bring the offence, which has a maximum sentence of 14 years, in line with manslaughter.

Motorists who cause death by speeding, street racing or while on a mobile phone are among those who could face longer sentences.

Offenders convicted while under the influence of drink or drugs could also be given life sentences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38199720

• Like 3

Let's not forget to punish people that don't or won't use a roundabout correctly.  In fact, let's go after people that put roundabouts in intersections in the first place.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I agree Im all for it for habitual offenders but not for first time offenders. Essentially ending two lives in that scenario isnt justice. 

No I don't think a first time offender should be sent up for life.  As I pointed out in my above post people commit horrible crimes on purpose and get less time.   Lets be fair here.

I have to say it burned me up when they let that influenza teen in Texas off with such a light sentence when others would have done a few years if not a decade for vehicular manslaughter.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Let's not forget to punish people that don't or won't use a roundabout correctly.  In fact, let's go after people that put roundabouts in intersections in the first place.

Omg...I hate those things. I often wonder whose bright idea they were. 

I know it's a terrible thing to lose a loved one, and you sure want somebody to pay for it. I just also think of the teenager who did something stupid like send a text and the next thing you know their whole life is over. It doesn't bring back the dead to ruin another life. 

• Like 1

Now this guy should have been given more time. 

A rail dispatcher has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years behind bars over a train crash that killed 12 people when he was playing a game on his mobile phone.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/rail-dispatcher-jailed-deadly-crash-while-played-phone-120000501.html

There really are few vehicular "accidents". It is usually "negligence" caused by speeding, or some other unsafe action while driving.  Unless these are people who have been repeatedly ticketed, and fail to live by the norms that the rest of society accepts, and kill someone through continued negligence, then I say send them to prison, however life does seem a bit harsh compared to other crimes vs sentencing.

I think driver education would be great here. When I got my license, we had to go through driver ed in school and all that, but never the consequences. If you told young drivers that your driving, through negligence could send you to prison, some would listen, others would not.

On 12/4/2016 at 9:58 AM, ChaosRose said:

I know it's a terrible thing to lose a loved one, and you sure want somebody to pay for it. I just also think of the teenager who did something stupid like send a text and the next thing you know their whole life is over. It doesn't bring back the dead to ruin another life. 

Driver education needs to be pounded into these children, along with the consequences of texting, drinking, speeding, and all manner of unsafe driving. It is avoidable. There was a lady who kept drifting into my lane repeatedly, and I would move to avoid her. Finally, I stayed where I was, and we came within inches of her colliding with me, and I finally saw she was texting.