Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could alien life thrive on brown dwarf stars?

UM-Bot

33 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's interesting. But if life does exist around a brown dwarf what kind of life would it be. Plant like? Microbial?

Around a star?

More probably its agent. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Parsec said:

Around a star?

More probably its agent. 

Definitely parasitical then. 

Edited by Grand Moff Tarkin
  • Like 3

Yours is a tough question to answer with today's knowledge (unless you talk nonsense like my previous post). 

According to the article the most probable would be microbial, but heavier entities could thrive depending on the power of upwards winds. 

But yeah, I'd say we could expect something relatively light, considering they should always stay aloft. 

How much light doea a brown dwarf emit in the visible spectrum? It's crazy thinking that although living o  a star, they could live in the darkness!

Another thing: the article mentions that in the upper layers temperature and pressure would be similar to our own, but I thought that having such a mass, if you are inside its atmosphere, the gravity exerted would crush you nonetheless. 

Of course I didn't invest time doing the math, so I could be dead wrong. 

So potentially they could have a very light, yet very flexible (or sturdy? Who knows) structure. 

How fascinating! 

5 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

Definitely parasitical then. 

In many instances sure, but I'd say it depends from case to case.

Shall we call it symbiotic?

The gravitation of a brown dwarf is pretty high. I read somewhere how many g:s it can be but I don't remember. It was anyway much higher than a human can survive. I think the high gravitation would make it difficult for life to develop.

12 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

The gravitation of a brown dwarf is pretty high. I read somewhere how many g:s it can be but I don't remember. It was anyway much higher than a human can survive. I think the high gravitation would make it difficult for life to develop.

I doubt high gravity would matter to microorganisms. Think of the extreme pressure beneath the ocean. 11 tons per square inch at some depths, yet life is on the ocean beds. And life is adaptable. Look at the millions of insect species who have grown different from others as a way of adapting to an environment.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Let the sarcasm begin.:lol:

If it wasn't for sarcasm, half of these discussions wouldn't have anything on them! B)

Seriously, this makes you wonder if life on this planet may have come from a similar object that crashed on the Earth.

• Like 1

If there is life, I should think they would have managed the gravity issue.