Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'First monks' found at King Arthur chapel

Black Monk

Skeletons unearthed at a site said to have been visited by King Arthur are the oldest example of monks ever found in the UK, archaeologists have said.

Carbon dating revealed the remains, discovered at medieval Beckery Chapel, near Glastonbury, were from the 5th or early 6th Century AD.

Site director Dr Richard Brunning said: "It's the earliest archaeological evidence we've got for monasticism."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-38187299

• Like 3

SO very cool. I can't imagine living with all of that history surrounding you. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, oldrover said:

It's like working in a sweet shop, after a while you don't touch it. (Howerd, F)

It depends on each one's character I'd say. 

Although after a while you can take things for granted, I never stop to be amazed by the art, architecture and culture that surrounds me. 

Even if it's the gazillionth time I pass in front of a building or down a road in my home town, I never cease to feel wonder.

Edited by Parsec
Typo
  • Like 2

Yeah, I wasn't being serious, hence the name on the quote. Which I realise won't register with many.

Edited by oldrover

Pretty cool, I'd say. I'm always amazed at how long things can last. Structures, bones, whatever.