Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Imaginary Friend?

XxMaximumxX

19 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I had an imaginary friend when I was her age... there is nothing wrong with this at all. You're oddly overreacting.

I don't see her overreacting. She is just asking questions about something she doesn't yet understand. I can see why people who don't raise children would find the situation odd, even creepy. Heck couple years back my youngest son had a couple real creepy moments, that to this day I still don't know what to think of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I never had an imaginary friend. I seemed to have missed that growing up.

If you had brother or sisters that's probably the reason. Imaginary friends, from what I've read it's a type of social development for a kid. 

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

If you had brother or sisters that's probably the reason. Imaginary friends, from what I've read it's a type of social development for a kid. 

Makes sense. I had a few brother and sisters, so I didn't need an imaginary friend, I suppose.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/05/parents-relax-imaginary-friends-are-a-totally-normal-part-of-being-a-kid.html

http://www.chron.com/news/health/article/Imaginary-friends-can-benefit-a-child-s-brain-4293660.php

Of course there's this too.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/culture-mind-and-brain/201604/daring-hear-voices

The new subculture of Tulpamancy has garnered a lot of online attention of late.  Tulpas, a concept borrowed from Tibetan Buddhism, are sentient imaginary friends conjured through ‘thoughtform’ visualization.  Tulpamancers are people who conjure Tulpas, and experience their imaginary companions as semi-permanent, non-threatening auditory ‘hallucinations’. Other sense modalities like touch, emotions, and vision are also recruited in the experience.

A lot of people come in here talking about a ghost or demon they keep seeing. It's probably just a product of their imagination.

I think it's not surprising given that you let her watch movies like The Conjuring. I don't know about you, but horror movies weren't nearly as brutal when I was a kid. And they still scared the crap out of me. Even old black and white movies like The Brain that Wouldn't Die. 

And if she's a smart kid who figures out that what she's doing is freaking you out...lol. You're in for it.

• Like 1