Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Imaginary Friend?

XxMaximumxX

So i went Home for thanksgiving weekend and my sister Has a 4 year old daughter named Willow and this kid is my heart and shes very talkative. So we live in a tiny town where you have to drive 45 miles just to go to a walmart. Anyway  With my whole family there are parents decieded to go black friday shopping and me being lazy and dont like crowded places i decided to stay with my cousins and watch Scary movies with my cousins (who are all 18 +) . Anyway my sister really wanted to go and begged me to watch Willow and i totally agreed. We were in the middle of the conjuring when my Niece randomly says "Can we watch something else, Pierson doesnt like this movie"  my first thought was Who the Hell is pierson??.. so i paused the movie and we looked that this little girl  and i Asked her who pierson was her reply "He's my friend he's Playing in Landons room (her brother who was with the dad) So be being the semi brave got op and walked down the hall dragging on of my cousins for protection .. we looked in the room and no one was there so we went back to the movie and again  Willow said "You're get pierson mad" so i freaked out and and switched the movie. to next day we had a bbq at the public park . Willow was off by the swing laughing and pushing 2 swings i asked her what she was doing and she said "Im pushing my friends" i freaked out and told my Mom and my Sister . My sister laughing saying that Pierson was her Imaginary friend shes had for the last 3 weeks. Later that night one of my Cousin was joking around and said "hey Willow tell pierson to come out and talk to us" basically just teasing her  . Willow got mad and screamed "youre going to make him mad". im scared and wont stay with her by myself and if anyone mentions the name Pierson to Willow she'll just start screaming to make us stop talking.  Could pierson really a danger to her?

Its not a cause for concern.  According to a 2004 study by University of Washington and University of Oregon psychologists, by age seven, 65 percent of children have had an imaginary companion at some point. (the eldest or only children are more likely to have one).  If her "friend" is still there in her teen years, than ill run for the hills lol

Source

• Like 6

A 4 year old watching The Conjuring is more concerning to me than an imaginary friend. 

• Like 9

I watched Horror movies as a kid . I turned out perfectly fine. Plus conjuring isn't that scary 

• Like 3

Totally agree with you They've gotten soft over the years

• Like 2

It would be adviseable to guide here lovingly in the ''now'' situation such that she could start grounding herself more fully to this world. 

Best of guidance.

I tried watching some of the old horror pictures a few years ago when they ran a season of them on Film 4. They were terrible. Really awful. 

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I tried watching some of the old horror pictures a few years ago when they ran a season of them on Film 4. They were terrible. Really awful. 

That's what makes them so good. Just go all MST3K on them.

• Like 1

It's totally normal and healthy no worries.

You must not have as much curiosity as me but if I was you and suspected it was a ghost or something then I would be trying to make it show itself.

But that would just upset the girl so. I guess ignore it. It's natural

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

I have an imaginary friend named Uncle Sam.

He takes a good portion of every check I have ever earned.

Not so sure I like the guy but he tends to stick around no matter what.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, oldrover said:

I used to love that. 

I still do.

• Like 1

So Update

I drove Home yesterday Okay so i hadnt seen my Family since Thanksgiving weekend so i went home Yesterday for my Mothers Birthday  and and my niece was there , she had a scrape from under her chin. My sister said she had missed a step off the porch. and when i went to giver a hug i asked " What Happen to you ? Mama did you fall?" she replied "Pierson Pushed me but it didnt hurt". is it normal to play the blame game with imaginary friends?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, XxMaximumxX said:

So Update

I drove Home yesterday Okay so i hadnt seen my Family since Thanksgiving weekend so i went home Yesterday for my Mothers Birthday  and and my niece was there , she had a scrape from under her chin. My sister said she had missed a step off the porch. and when i went to giver a hug i asked " What Happen to you ? Mama did you fall?" she replied "Pierson Pushed me but it didnt hurt". is it normal to play the blame game with imaginary friends?

sounds like normal childhood behavior. 

• Like 3

Yes it's normal and it's normal to blame the imaginary friend like blaming a real friend when you're a kid. 

• Like 3

I had an imaginary friend when I was her age... there is nothing wrong with this at all. You're oddly overreacting.

• Like 4

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:19 PM, XxMaximumxX said:

I watched Horror movies as a kid . I turned out perfectly fine. Plus conjuring isn't that scary 

Except for your fear of imaginary friends.

Honestly, it's normal. 

Having imaginary friends is very normal for young children- and so is attributing them with personal behaviors.

I think that when your niece told you her imaginary friend didn't like the movie- it was far more likely that she wasn't comfortable with it, but everyone else was, so her imaginary friend was her backup and excuse to turn the movie off. And it does not matter one whit if you were comfortable watching horror when you were a kid, or if you turned out fine... what matters is your nieces feelings about it. Does her mother watch movies like that with her, or otherwise is ok with her daughter watching that kind of stuff when she's not around?

I can fully understand why The Conjuring could be frightening to your niece. She's four years old with a new imaginary friend in a farm house in the middle of the boonies, and you watch a movie where an "imaginary friend" shows up and starts doing increasingly scary things to young girls in a farm house in the middle of the boonies. You and your cousins might have all been over 18 and ok with the scary movies... but your niece is 4. That pretty much cancels out all the over 18 in the room.

And it may be that she didn't understand why she fell- tripped, lost balance, or what... But she does understand being pushed down, and rationalized/attributed the fall to her imaginary friend pushing her down.

I'm not saying don't worry about the imaginary friend at all. It's normal for kids to have them so the fact of the friend itself is nothing to worry about. However, sometimes children express themselves through the actions and behaviors of their imaginary friends, and that is something to keep an eye on. You niece sounds like she is behaving pretty normally, and her mother is taking it in stride. Leave you niece alone about it, and let her friend be her friend. If you really think there are concerning specific instances with this imaginary friend, take it to her mother and talk to her about it.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

...You're oddly overreacting.

This.  *You* have clearly made a big thing out of it, despite telling us how difficult to scare you are.  Read back your opening post - not easily scared?  Any attention is good attention, plus an IF gives you someone to blame for almost anything.. and if those around her are responding/believing, it will just get worse.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, bubblykiss said:

I have an imaginary friend named Uncle Sam.

He takes a good portion of every check I have ever earned.

Not so sure I like the guy but he tends to stick around no matter what.

Staying power is important.

• Like 1