Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cost in jobs and $ of occupational licensing

OverSword

While this study is focused on Wisconsin I believe this is true throughout the USA.

Occupational licenses administered by Wisconsin’s Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) fences workers out of opportunities and costs consumers nearly $2 billion according to a new study released today by the Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty.

The study, the first of its kind to examine the economic and social impact of the more than 240 different types of credentials issued by DSPS, shows a dramatic surge in the number of regulated occupations and license holders.   Across the country, a bipartisan consensus – from the Obama White House to the Koch Brothers – has formed that occupational licensing is arguably one of the most substantial barriers to opportunity in America today. While some credentialing serves to protect public health and safety, much is rank protectionism – a device to “fence in” those who already have permission to work and “fence out” those who do not.

The authors – Collin Roth, WILL’s Research Fellow, and Elena Ramlow, WILL’s Policy Intern – explain how occupational licensing has grown in the last 20 years in Wisconsin, why it is a problem, and what the legislature can do about it.

“Our report sheds light on the growing costs of occupational licensing. Whether it is the $1.9 billion price tag for consumers, the 31,000 fewer jobs, or the arbitrary rules and requirements that put Badger State workers at a disadvantage, occupational licensing hurts Wisconsin and it needs reform,” said Roth.

Both the Assembly Republicans and Governor Scott Walker have indicated that this problem could be addressed in the upcoming legislative session.   Our report shows why this reform is needed and lays out a menu of policy reforms that policymakers can use to make Wisconsin open for opportunity.

Source

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

Next they will want you to get a license to die.

That's been a supreme pain.

To work in the bush these days you need about six different tickets to do your job. Insurance companies, lawyers and the new-found 'training industry' lobbyists push this nonsense.

Tell me about it.  I need to have certification for OSHA 10hr, Forklift Training, Lift Training, Site Specific Training, Confined Space Training, Fire Watch/Hot work Training, and a TWIC card just to work at one of the Koch brother's refineries.  And 1/5 have to have OSHA 30, CPR/First Aid Training, and be a Spanish/English interpreter on crews with Spanish-only speaking members.  My crew and I literally get paid for a week just to attend training classes every year.

Not to mention the guys that have to be certified welders, electricians, pipe fitters, asbestos remover, etc.  Nurses/doctors with their continued education credits and the works. 

There are even companies out there that do nothing but store all your credentials online so that it is in one handy spot for employers to look at.

I can see why they do it though.  The want proof that their employees are competent before the job begins.  It also is a hedge against liability issues if something were to go wrong or someone dies.  I also think that the employers are pushing it more than they are willing to admit.  Especially on the liability side. 

• Like 1

I can understand some licensing for things but we have gone overboard.

In ohio to be a teacher you need a separate license to teach highschoolers then to teach elementary school.

The school counselor is a diffrence license requiernent then the therapist with private practices who diagnose people.

There is a clear similarity of skills here. And these are just the examples off the top of my head.