Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fossils tell story of first life on land

Still Waters

Fossils of what may be the earliest four-legged backboned animals to walk on land have been discovered in Scotland.

The lizard-like creatures lived about 355 million years ago, when the ancestors of modern reptiles, birds and mammals emerged from swamps.

The discovery plugs a 15 million-year gap in the fossil record.

There are five complete fossils and many more fragments of bones that have yet to be classified.

Some resemble lizards or newts, while others are larger, with almost crocodile-like proportions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38186397

• Like 7

I can only imagine how alien our planet must have looked back then. But if the first mass extinction too place 360 million yrs ago, then what did life look like before that happened? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Fossils of what may be the earliest four-legged backboned animals to walk on land have been discovered in Scotland.

The lizard-like creatures lived about 355 million years ago, when the ancestors of modern reptiles, birds and mammals emerged from swamps.

The discovery plugs a 15 million-year gap in the fossil record.

There are five complete fossils and many more fragments of bones that have yet to be classified.

Some resemble lizards or newts, while others are larger, with almost crocodile-like proportions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38186397

I guess that when snakes began to walk on land, they have fossils of snakes with legs

Edited by docyabut2

On 12/5/2016 at 7:04 PM, docyabut2 said:

I guess that when snakes began to walk on land, they have fossils of snakes with legs

Well, yes if fact they do.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2016 at 4:04 PM, docyabut2 said:

I guess when potatoes started growing eyes carrots listened . 

Evolution doesn't work like this. who said snakes where first? Gradual, transferable change is what it takes for evolution to take place.. Ameoba to slightly different ameoba, then four different omeaba, then 16 different ameoba. And that is still along way from snakes.

Edited by Kismit
  • Like 2

I wonder what caused the mass extinction? The article doesn't say. Anybody know?

2 hours ago, brlesq1 said:

I wonder what caused the mass extinction? The article doesn't say. Anybody know?

There were at least two major events 100,000 to 300,000 years apart. It seems Global cooling had quite some impact a the oceans appear to have dropped from 34 degrees (C) down to 26 Degrees and land plants taking over are assumed to have triggered changes that led to algae blooms choking off many species. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

From your link:

Appearing like the punchline to an evolutionary riddle, a new fossil snake with legs has emerged from 95 million year-old deposits near Jerusalem

From the OP:

The lizard-like creatures lived about 355 million years ago,

The Problem here:

Ameoba to slightly different ameoba, then four different omeaba, then 16 different ameoba. And that is still along way from snakes.

28 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

From your link:

Appearing like the punchline to an evolutionary riddle, a new fossil snake with legs has emerged from 95 million year-old deposits near Jerusalem

From the OP:

The lizard-like creatures lived about 355 million years ago,

The Problem here:

Ameoba to slightly different ameoba, then four different omeaba, then 16 different ameoba. And that is still along way from snakes.

Like was said there might have been many extinctions  of species that had to start all over again,  we know the first  tiny dinosaurs went extinct.  

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:30 AM, psyche101 said:

WOW, Scotland hey?

Yep.  Way back when Scotland had a backbone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Yep.  Way back when Scotland had a backbone.

I ain't touching that one ..... :w00t: 

braveheart2.jpg

• Like 1