Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Solved] Bring the chat room back ?

fabsx

Hello, I have just been a member of this website since October 22nd, 2016. So I have never had the chance to see this forum with a chatroom and never had the chance to witness to it coming to an end. But I am here to request to bring the chatroom back up again to see If It somehow has a different result than It did before. I will commit myself to be as active as possible in the chatroom and It seems that some of the people also want it back. So I am aware that this forum software is the IPB boards and I know there is a chatroom feature. I have been told that in the past, users lost interest in the chatroom, but hey I have visited a lot of IPB forums with dead chatrooms but they're still there and not removed, just in case someone wants to talk in real time. 

I believe that talking in real time can create a different approach on how people meet each other and I believe it would be an easy way to get to know each other better and also easier to make new friends. A lively chat is something that has always cheered me up... talking to new people in real-time, discussing from silly to serious topics and more important - creating bonds and make the community stronger and healthier, unless we get trolls that ruin everything but those can be banned from the chat, easily.

This is just a request, I am not sure if there are many people interested in a chatroom... I am not trying to act rude and say "bring it back" like an order, It's just a small request that I am not putting high expectations on.

There's nothing else I can add, 

Thank you for reading and tell me your opinions on this request I have just made.

Edited by Marss
  • Like 2

It would he nice to advertise a chat with a host and a topic every night, the room would be so crowded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marss said:

There's nothing else I can add, 

Thank you for reading and tell me your opinions on this request I have just made.

Its a discussion forum, not a meet new friends forum,.. the chatroom existed for many years, lack of use no doubt made it redundant. However, on any thread you might start...others will reply.....if its an engaging thread you ARE literally chatting to others...even in the status update part of the site which may get faster replies, as may the PM function..(or personal message function)

Why will the webmaster/owner bring back something that didnt get much use previously?

why not start a thread asking "who wants to chat"...then see how it goes? A thread isnt much different from a chatroom....is it? A thread called " A party with the UM members".... has been going on for years....more responses there than any activity in the chatroom..... so, start a CHAT thread....see how it goes for you

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seeder said:

Its a discussion forum, not a meet new friends forum,.. the chatroom existed for many years, lack of use no doubt made it redundant. However, on any thread you might start...others will reply.....if its an engaging thread you ARE literally chatting to others...even in the status update part of the site which may get faster replies, as may the PM function..(or personal message function)

Why will the webmaster/owner bring back something that didnt get much use previously?

why not start a thread asking "who wants to chat"...then see how it goes? A thread isnt much different from a chatroom....is it? A thread called " A party with the UM members".... has been going on for years....more responses there than any activity in the chatroom..... so, start a CHAT thread....see how it goes for you

It would seem that you are not well acquainted with chat rooms from what you say here.  I am!  There is no substitute for interacting in real time - it brings its own energy/liveliness/spontaneity that cannot be replicated in posts here.

I definitely support Marss' request to bring it back. I don't know how long ago the chat room was last operative here but times change, e.g. new members come with differing needs!   The frequency of posts on some of the status updates indicate that a chat room would indeed work now and be popular!  This forum doesn't just exist as a discussion forum else why would there be a facility for status updates, i.e. a platform given for personal expression?

Since there is already the facility to return the chat room here, then why not do so?  It could be as a temporary trial, say, for a few months.  What is there to lose?

A chat thread may be a poor runner up to this idea, i.e. better than nothing but it still doesn't operate in real time.

Edited by sees

16 minutes ago, sees said:

It would seem that you are not well acquainted with chat rooms from what you say here.

It would seem you make assumptions. SOMEONE... has to be there moderating a chatroom...24/7.... a full time and devoted moderator...to ensure there is nothing offensive posted.

Do you know if any of the mods are paid....or simply volunteer their time? If volunteering time....what a boring bloody job it must be to monitor a chatroom all the time..

Think about the broader issues..... rather than tell me Im not well acquainted... this isnt facebook

5 hours ago, seeder said:

Its a discussion forum, not a meet new friends forum,.

That's a bit harsh. Should we constantly see everyone as an adversary that we must always argue with?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

It would seem you make assumptions. SOMEONE... has to be there moderating a chatroom...24/7.... a full time and devoted moderator...to ensure there is nothing offensive posted.

Do you know if any of the mods are paid....or simply volunteer their time? If volunteering time....what a boring bloody job it must be to monitor a chatroom all the time..

Think about the broader issues..... rather than tell me Im not well acquainted... this isnt facebook

Sorry.  We all make assumptions here in the absence of certain info.  Yes, having a mod in the chat room is a valid point and one that occurred to me but I thought (maybe) there are many mods here?   I am new here so not well acquainted with how many staff members operate this forum.

• Like 1

There are currently no plans to relaunch the chat room, it was a moderation nightmare and offered very few benefits to the site.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to [Solved] Bring the chat room back ?
  • The topic was locked