Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giraffes facing extinction

seeder

We no longer fight for our lives by the way, not on animal terms. We may have many years ago, but primarily we kill for our own greed, not survival. Therein lies one of the many flaws of humanity. Greed.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Unfortunately said:

We no longer fight for our lives by the way, not on animal terms. We may have many years ago, but primarily we kill for our own greed, not survival. Therein lies one of the many flaws of humanity. Greed.

Quite.

However catching wild giraffes is tricky because their huge size means they cannot simply be tranquilised, as they might fall down and suffer fatal injuries.

Once they are shot with a dose of tranquiliser they have to be chased on foot and pulled safely to the ground using ropes. The teams only have a 20 minute window to administer the antidote or the animal will die.

It's dangerous work, as the giraffes weigh over a tonne and can decapitate a man with a single kick. They must be blindfolded and led into a special trailer so they can be taken across the Nile by ferry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/06/18/sir-david-attenborough-giraffes-are-facing-silent-extinction/

Woah, very hard to catch.

For anyone interested in reading further on this issue you should definitely check out the link above. I really do hope the giraffe population miraculously makes some sort of comeback as they are such unusual and beautiful creatures.

Edited by Unfortunately
Fixed link
  • Like 2

every zoo Ive ever been too has had giraffes.....no doubt the same with every country

maybe we should send them back to live free....and rejuvenate the gene pool

• Like 2

On 12/10/2016 at 6:11 AM, Unfortunately said:

We'll spend trillions more dollars taking the oil and nobody will lift a finger to save the giraffe.   If they do they'll be branded like steers as "terrorists" and every other dirty-but-PC name in the book. 

Eventually the giraffe will go extinct like many other species in this, the 7th mass extinction event and 1st anthropomorphic mass extinction event.

25 minutes ago, seeder said:

every zoo Ive ever been too has had giraffes.....no doubt the same with every country

Send them back to Africa?   No large species is safe in the wilderness there anymore, and that has nothing to do with the other animals in the ecosystem, but that's what the experts will fish out of the data to report on the big ride downhill.   Soon the animals will all be relegated to a chewed up square of land in the Serengeti and it'll become the world's biggest zoo for what species still remain.   Far too few people will care enough to do something and it'll be too little too late for the giraffe just like the black rhino last year.   Tigers and probably elephants in our lifetimes too.    

Because hey, we're way too busy spending the big money killing people over oil wells instead.  Priorities!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seeder said:

That would be brilliant, but unfortunately many of the animals have either been bred in captivity or have been there too long that they have become dependant on the localised treatment and will not survive very long outside in the wild :/ otherwise this would definitely be a possible solution to this problem that I would totally be all for doing. :)

4 minutes ago, Unfortunately said:

That would be brilliant, but unfortunately many of the animals have either been bred in captivity or have been there too long that they have become dependant on the localised treatment

Giraffes will see how other giraffes eat....and hunger is a motivator. No one ever taught a cow what or how to eat

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seeder said:

Giraffes will see how other giraffes eat....and hunger is a motivator. No one ever taught a cow what or how to eat

True, but one of the main issues is whether or not another herd will accept the giraffe, if not then it's chances for survival are unfortunately minimal at best :(. Despite being massive animals a singular giraffe is still very much a target to a pack of hungry predators (albeit quite a difficult target).

Perhaps if there was a way to slowly allow for another herd to learn to accept the released giraffe? That could be a potential solution. :)

4 minutes ago, Unfortunately said:

Perhaps if there was a way to slowly allow for another herd to learn to accept the released giraffe? That could be a potential solution. :)

Giraffes arent Lions...they are pretty docile creatures.... I dont see any problems..

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, seeder said:

Giraffes arent Lions...they are pretty docile creatures.... I dont see any problems..

Hmm, I did some more reading in accordance with giraffe and you're right, although many captive-born individuals may not be able to survive the harsh climates presented in the wild I can't find anything about giraffe having issues with integrating into a wild herd. Good call :) maybe they should look further into your idea as a probable solution to conserving the species. It would be amazing if they were able to do this.

The only reason I mentioned the possible issue with wild herds was because I have read of some animals that shun and sometimes kill any new individuals due to their unusual scent etc, but that tends to be smaller mammals and some aquatic species. This doesn't appear to apply to larger docile mammals though :) so I was incorrect :P .

28 minutes ago, Unfortunately said:

Hmm, I did some more reading in accordance with giraffe and you're right,

You actually HAD to look that up?....phew....Id have thought it was obvious among non meat eaters..

59 minutes ago, seeder said:

You actually HAD to look that up?....phew....Id have thought it was obvious among non meat eaters..

It might seem obvious, but as I said, I've read about small mammals (non-carnivorous) that shun others that are introduced as well as a few primates that become violent when other individuals are introduced to the species. Mostly territorial animals. Hence my speculation. It is always good to check the facts before making an assumption :) .

You make a fair point though, I should have known :) .

Edited by Unfortunately