Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giraffes facing extinction

seeder

Giraffes UNDER THREAT: Species at risk of 'silent extinction'

THE giraffe has been placed on the Red List of vanishing creatures after scientists warned it is threatened with extinction.

Planet Earth’s tallest animal has witnessed a global population crash of up to 40 per cent over the past 30 years.

Fears for the future of the giraffe are highlighted in a new report today from the International Union for Conservation of Nature, the official sentinels of the planet’s endangered creatures.

http://www.*** blocked ***/news/nature/740991/giraffes-extinction-threatened-conservation-red-list-africa-animals-elephants-rhinos-lions

• Like 1

I'm thinking that might be a stretch.

• Like 4

I was told as a child that the giraffe evolved a long neck to eat leaves higher up on trees.

A naturalist recently explained on TV that actually the neck evolved long so that the giraffe could drink.

Edited by alibongo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alibongo said:

I was told as a child that the giraffe evolved a long neck to eat leaves higher up on trees.

A naturalist recently explained on TV that actually the neck evolved long so that the giraffe could drink.

From long tall glasses?  :)

10 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

From long tall glasses?  :)

LOL.

I know it doesn't sound sensible now, but it is an animals legs that can lengthen most easily via natural selection. Then it finds it can't bend down enough.

• Like 1

This is so sad and even sadder that the Copenhagen Zoo a couple of years ago killed a healthy giraffe named Marcus, for absolutely no reason. They then proceeded to carve it up for all to see and feed it to their lions. 

They killed some lions a few months later for the same reason.  None.

This is what no regard for life does for us.  

I hope that someday humanity will wake up and realize that we share this planet with other beings that have a right to their lives too.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

What isn't going extinct? I'm waiting to see a headline about humanity going extinct. 

you missed the headline that said "homosapiens to go extinct in a thousand years"?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alibongo said:

i would say to eat leaves, it is nearly impossible to drink and when they do they can be attacked by lions.  an elephants trunk can reach as high as a giraffe and bring the tree down if it wants.

there was a park in africa that had to many giraffes .  the trees in the park increased the poison in their leaves to take care of the problem.  i don't remember the park so no link.

8 hours ago, MJNYC said:

This is so sad and even sadder that the Copenhagen Zoo a couple of years ago killed a healthy giraffe named Marcus, for absolutely no reason. They then proceeded to carve it up for all to see and feed it to their lions. 

They killed some lions a few months later for the same reason.  None.

This is what no regard for life does for us.  

I hope that someday humanity will wake up and realize that we share this planet with other beings that have a right to their lives too.

Yeah , I thought about Marcus.

I read that it is quite common practice to kill unwanted baby animals in zoos as well.

Animals are expensive, zoos only need a few token ones.

Of course it is easy to get too sentimental, animals are animals, nature is cruel too...we can't keep everything alive, not even ourselves..

6 hours ago, Still Waters said:

In a sense, so what?

I'll never see a giraffe in the wild.

Or a Dodo, Rhea, tiger,or tyrannosaurus rex .

Let's move on.

Edited by alibongo

55 minutes ago, alibongo said:

In a sense, so what?

Let's move on.

I hope this is sarcasm. Saying "So what?" in accordance with the possible extinction of an animal that is clearly still present in this world (both in the wild and in captivity) is obtuse at best. Humans are a parasite on the world. We are the only reason these animals are dying out in mass numbers. For a supposedly intelligent species we're incredibly stupid and destructive. We consider ourselves to be above organisms such as this and yet through our own actions we prove that we are not.

Edit: @alibongo, If I have misunderstood your opinion please let me know.

Edited by Unfortunately
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, alibongo said:

In a sense, so what?

Let's move on.

I too dont know why you say this. Just because YOU wont see them...we should let them die out...right? That would a very dangerous view for mankind to have

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alibongo said:

In a sense, so what?

Let's move on.

You need to get out of your bubble at some point...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, seeder said:

I too dont know why you say this. Just because YOU wont see them...we should let them die out...right? That would a very dangerous view for mankind to have

Lets apply that way of thinking to Gorilla's shall we? And Eagles...we dont see them much either....oh and let Whales die out too, the Dolphins....following your logic...heck lets not care about cod numbers in the sea...or the grains of wheat and corn.... I mean whoever sees them nowadays?

Then we have nothing to eat do we, no fish, nothing to make bread from...

ALL animals and fish have a right to live too.... and NO...Im NOT a bleeding heart vegan either...we are already worrying about less bee's...I mean who cares about them either? Except they pollinate a lot of crops....so lets keep the annoying buzzing things anyway

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Apparently some people don't understand how delicate the ecosystem is.

• Like 2

I think perhaps we should wait until he explains why he said what he did before jumping to conclusions, but I definitely agree it was a stupid thing for him to say.

• Like 2

"Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize that one cannot eat money"

A native American saying

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Unfortunately said:

I think perhaps we should wait until he explains why he said what he did before jumping to conclusions, but I definitely agree it was a stupid thing for him to say.

From experience, expect more of the same.

• Like 2

Just now, Michelle said:

From experience, expect more of the same.

Hmm. If that's the case then we're dealing with a very naive person who needs to broaden their perspective and/or intelligence.

• Like 2

Its unfortunate that many people fail to realise the delicate balance that is required to sustain the Earth's ecosystem. As you say, it is an incredibly fragile thing. Everything must be kept in mediation, how people can overlook this necessity is beyond me.

Edit: Moderation*

Edited by Unfortunately
  • Like 3