Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curiosity's Selfies

Derek Willis

I was recently looking at a "selfie" taken by the Curiosity rover and, like many people, wondered why the robotic arm holding the camera can't be seen. The entire rover is shown, so the place where the arm joins with the rover ought to be visible. I am sure some conspiracy theorists have jumped on this as "proof" Curiosity isn't really on Mars. I looked into this and learned that the selfie images are actually made up of a number of images stitched together. I also learned that JPL opted to stitch them together in such away that the arm can't be seen. This obviously adds to the aesthetic qualities of the images. However, does it not leave NASA open to charges that for aesthetic - or other - reasons they have manipulated any number of images? I don't for a moment believe that have, but I am sure there are people who will claim that is the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_(rover)#/media/File:Curiosity_Self-Portrait_at_'Big_Sky'_Drilling_Site.jpg

Edited by Derek Willis

The CT crowd will find conspiracy no matter what you do so why bother trying to appease them in any way.  It's a beautiful picture of a weathered, old, planetary explorer.

Curiosity_Self-Portrait_at_'Big_Sky'_Drilling_Site.jpg

• Like 1

Dammit.  Looking at that thing....I'm feeling a lot of pride right  now seeing this old workhorse carry on after so many years at such a distance on a lonely, cold world.

• Like 1

It is an amazing image. And it is amazing to compare the image - indeed all the images we now have of Mars - with the very first image from the Mariner 4 probe in 1965. The progress in half a century is incredible. Certainly within the next half century there will be selfies taken by the people who have traveled to Mars. I hope I am around to see the start of that!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

It is an amazing image. And it is amazing to compare the image - indeed all the images we now have of Mars - with the very first image from the Mariner 4 probe in 1965. The progress in half a century is incredible. Certainly within the next half century there will be selfies taken by the people who have traveled to Mars. I hope I am around to see the start of that!

Within that time I'm sure we'll collect these old rovers and bring them home, retire them to the Smithsonian where they can live the rest of their lives in relative comfort.

That includes finding and bringing home the Voyager probes as well.  Someday.

18 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Within that time I'm sure we'll collect these old rovers and bring them home, retire them to the Smithsonian where they can live the rest of their lives in relative comfort.

That includes finding and bringing home the Voyager probes as well.  Someday.

I agree with that. On the assumption I have grandchildren it would be great if one day they could see, for example, the Viking landers on display in the Smithsonian!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek Willis said:

I agree with that. On the assumption I have grandchildren it would be great if one day they could see, for example, the Viking landers on display in the Smithsonian!

I disagree. Leave them on Mars. One day the tourists (maybe including any potential grandchildren you may one day have) will be able to see them there,in situ,as they were intended.

On Mars they make a statement that mankind managed to do these amazing things, in a museum they are just another old piece of machinery.

• Like 6

I agree with Waspie on this, leave them there as a testament to what we overcame to get them there and for what they were able to do.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I disagree. Leave them on Mars. One day the tourists (maybe including any potential grandchildren you may one day have) will be able to see them there,in situ,as they were intended.

On Mars they make a statement that mankind managed to do these amazing things, in a museum they are just another old piece of machinery.

I can see you point of view, but I would still opt for bringing them home. A lot more people would see them in the Smithsonian than on the deserts of Mars. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

It would be similar to what I want then, just build a museum around them.  Six one way, half a dozen the other way.

Perhaps more people can get to see them here.  And the Smithsonian is actually located on Earth for the time being.

4 hours ago, Merc14 said:

The CT crowd will find conspiracy no matter what you do so why bother trying to appease them in any way.  It's a beautiful picture of a weathered, old, planetary explorer.

Curiosity_Self-Portrait_at_'Big_Sky'_Drilling_Site.jpg

Looks like the silhouette of a person reflected in the lens of the rover.

5 minutes ago, Aftermath said:

Don't give them any ideas.  :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aftermath said:

Yeah, its Derek Willis, see his avatar.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, toast said:

Yeah, its Derek Willis, see his avatar.

It totally is... that's hilarious!

• Like 1

Just now, Aftermath said:

It totally is... that's hilarious!

It was my first thought when I say Merc`s post ("Ah, Derek, holy &hit!")

:lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toast said:

Honestly, I can't stop giggling about it.     I keep looking at the lens and seeing Derek Willis... then I think how interesting of a thread this would have been if he had seen that, made that connection, and went with it.  Even better if we could have a comment from ImmortalLegend527 too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aftermath said:

Honestly, I can't stop giggling about it.     I keep looking at the lens and seeing Derek Willis... then I think how interesting of a thread this would have been if he had seen that, made that connection, and went with it.  Even better if we could have a comment from ImmortalLegend527 too.

I wish I had spotted that - it is uncanny!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

Dammit! You found me out!!

No worries, I will keep it confidential because friends of Batman are friends of me too.

Edited by toast

8 minutes ago, toast said:

Toast, I have never given anyone a "like" before - not because I don't like what people say, but because once I start I will never stop. But your discovery deserves one!!!

• Like 1