Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

R.I.P. John Glenn, 1921-2016

Czero 101

:(

John Glenn, first U.S. astronaut to orbit Earth, dies

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/john-glenn-first-u-s-astronaut-to-orbit-earth-dies-1.3195375

Former astronaut and U.S. Sen. John Glenn has died in Ohio. He was 95.

Glenn became a national hero in 1962 when he became the first American to orbit the Earth.

Hank Wilson with the John Glenn School of Public Affairs says Glenn died Thursday afternoon at the James Cancer Hospital in Columbus.

Cz

Edited by Czero 101
  • Like 9

RiP  Spaceman "Zero G and I feel fine ... " Glenn

~

... Before he gained fame orbiting the world, he was a fighter pilot in two wars, and as a test pilot, he set a transcontinental speed record. He later served 24 years in the Senate from Ohio. A rare setback was a failed 1984 run for the Democratic presidential nomination.

His long political career enabled him to return to space in the shuttle Discovery at age 77 in 1998, a cosmic victory lap that he relished and turned into a teachable moment about growing old. He holds the record for the oldest person in space.

~

• Like 6

I just saw this on TV. I feel sad to see him pass, but he certainly lived a remarkable and long life.

God Speed John Glenn.

• Like 7

I am sad.  :(

• Like 4

This is uncanny. Earlier today I was thinking about Buzz Aldrin due to his recent illness, and how soon all those legends will be dead. Then I started wondering how John Glenn was, because he is the oldest of them all. And now he had died. A sad day, but he lived a long and accomplished life.

• Like 3

First American to orbit the planet, one of many of his accomplishments.  Now all of the Mercury 7 astronauts are gone.

RIP John Glenn

Edited by Ashotep
  • Like 4

Another of my heroes has slipped the surly bonds of Earth.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr said it far more eloquently than I ever could:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 5

Glenn was a courageous man, a true leader and a great combat pilot.  One of my favorite speeches from Glenn was his rebuttal of Howard Metzenbaum's accusation that he had never held a real job:

Howard Metzenbaum to John Glenn:

Metzenbaum: "How can you run for Senate when you've never held a 'job'?"

Glenn: "I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps. I was through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different occasions.

"I was in the space program. It wasn't my checkbook, it was my life that was on the line. This was not a 9-to-5 job where I took time off to take the daily cash receipts to the bank.

"I ask you to go with me, as I went the other day to a Veterans Hospital, and look those men, with their mangled bodies, in the eye and tell them they didn't hold a job.

"You go with me to any Gold Star mother, and you look her in the eye and tell her that her son did not hold a job.

"You go with me to the space program, and you go as I have gone to the widows and the orphans of Ed White and Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee, and you look those kids in the eye and tell them that their dad didn't hold a job.

"You go with me on Memorial Day coming up, and you stand on Arlington National Cemetery — where I have more friends than I like to remember — and you watch those waving flags, and you stand there, and you think about this nation, and you tell me that those people didn't have a job.

"I tell you, Howard Metzenbaum, you should be on your knees every day of your life thanking God that there were some men — SOME MEN — who held a job. And they required a dedication to purpose and a love of country and a dedication to duty that was more important than life itself.

"And their self-sacrifice is what has made this country possible.

"I HAVE HELD A JOB, HOWARD!"

Needless to say Glenn won that primary handily and went on to serve 24 years in the Senate. 

• Like 7

Hail and Farewell, Sen Glenn, Journey well.  

• Like 1

Vale John Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

He was what Helped many Dreams come true ! WHat a Man and ,History !

Happy New YEar Y`all All ! Yuo too Waspie !