Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Solar plane can reach edge of space

seeder

The two-seater solar plane that will soar to the edge of space: Radical fuel-free aircraft will launch in 2018

The ground-breaking solar-powered, set to launch in 2018, plane will be the first to breach the stratosphere
    SolarStratos previously revealed plans for a five-hour mission to fly 82,000 feet (25,000 metres) above Earth
    The plane will take two hours to ascend, 15 minutes to 'stay with the stars' and three hours to descend
    The aircraft is just 28 feet (8.5m) long and runs on a 32-kW electric engine and 20 kWh lithium-ion battery

A plane destined to become the first solar-powered craft to break through the stratosphere has been officially unveiled.

The SolarStratos, which has already successfully flown around the globe, and is set to blast off to space in 2018 and is capable of flying 82,000 feet (25,000 metres) above the Earth.

While in the past, trips to the stratosphere have required large quantities of energy or helium, the SolarStratos plane uses solar power for 'the equivalent environmental footprint of an electric car'.  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4016508/The-two-seater-solar-plane-soar-82-000-ft-edge-space.html#ixzz4SNHS4By9

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

I wonder if this technology develops would it be possible for another craft to leap-frog off it into space itself? Would definitely cut fuel cost that way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I wonder if this technology develops would it be possible for another craft to leap-frog off it into space itself? Would definitely cut fuel cost that way.

well this plane can already get 'up there'....It seems it wouldnt be much further to actually be in space.... but I think the planes problem...would be propulsion in space

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, seeder said:

well this plane can already get 'up there'....It seems it wouldnt be much further to actually be in space.... but I think the planes problem...would be propulsion in space

That's why I was wondering about another craft piggy backing the solar plane. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's why I was wondering about another craft piggy backing the solar plane. 

Well I believe solar planes have to be made as light as possible due to the lack of real power.... that pretty much rules out piggy backs

Where is the edge of space?? Is there even a edge?

2 minutes ago, Rofflaren said:

:tu:

The Kármán line, or Karman line, lies at an altitude of 100 kilometres (62 mi; 330,000 ft) above the Earth's sea level, and commonly represents the boundary between the Earth's atmosphere and outer space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kármán_line

• Like 2

Damn you Seeder, I was about to say that. <_<

Anyway isn't it typical that we have to explain these thing to a Swede ? :rolleyes:  (In Denmark we are legally required to make fun of Swedes any time we can get away with it.)

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Reveal hidden contents

I might have made up that last part.

Thank you...

After I had written my comment I realised that I might have gotten it all wrong.
When it said edge of space in the text I thought of the edge of the universe...
Therefore my comment about space (universe)

But thank you Seeder for the explaniation about the edge of space :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Damn you Seeder, I was about to say that. <_<

Anyway isn't it typical that we have to explain these thing to a Swede ? :rolleyes:  (In Denmark we are legally required to make fun of Swedes any time we can get away with it.)

Dont worry, wont be long before the swedes have to eat some surströmming at Christmas! When I was there I thought they were all bonkers for eating that foul smelling....'luxury', and at Christmas too...   :lol:

Hey we get Christmas right in the UK!! We dont eat stinking fish and we celebrate on the 25th!!

Edited by seeder

2 minutes ago, Rofflaren said:

Thank you...

After I had written my comment I realised that I might have gotten it all wrong.
When it said edge of space in the text I thought of the edge of the universe...
Therefore my comment about space (universe)

By our curent estimations the universe doesn't have an edge. Yeah the universe can be quite counter intuitive when dealing with the very large and very small scales.

• Like 1

Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

By our curent estimations the universe doesn't have an edge. Yeah the universe can be quite counter intuitive when dealing with the very large and very small scales.

exactly thats why I wrote...

1 minute ago, Rofflaren said:

exactly thats why I wrote...

Its more like a boundary...think of it like travelling from one town to another....somewhere in that journey is an unmarked border between the two towns

Surströmming as you said Seeder might not be every Swede's favorite food..
I have eaten it and do not recommend it :D

For people who reads this who doesnt know What Surströmming is its fermented baltic herring..

• Like 1

When I lived over there, the local guys who become friends with me...told me Surströmming was a 'luxury food' only eaten at xmas :lol:

When xmas arrived, my mates gave me the honour of opening the can....which was puffed up with the gas inside....then they told me to open in the garden... :lol:   so with the can opener,,,,and not knowing what to expect, I started to open it....and man...the smell of the gas coming out of the can was to me....like pure sewerage

I told them they must have got a can that was out of date...the smell made me feel like being sick..... then you could have knocked me over with a feather when some started eating it...

eewww... Hey Sweden, I love your country....but stop eating that awful smelling slimy fish !  And in case any reader thinks Im exaggerating...well, Im simply not

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rofflaren said:

Surströmming as you said Seeder might not be every Swede's favorite food..
I have eaten it and do not recommend it :D

For people who reads this who doesnt know What Surströmming is its fermented baltic herring..

:lol: That was like when I opened a can... but...as everyone else tasted it, so did I....and spat it out. That stuff must be breaking some sort of health and safety law!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seeder said:

When I lived over there, the local guys who become friends with me...told me Surströmming was a 'luxury food' only eaten at xmas :lol:

When xmas arrived, my mates gave me the honour of opening the can....which was puffed up with the gas inside....then they told me to open in the garden... :lol:   so with the can opener,,,,and not knowing what to expect, I started to open it....and man...the smell of the gas coming out of the can was to me....like pure sewerage

I told them they must have got a can that was out of date...the smell made me feel like being sick..... then you could have knocked me over with a feather when some started eating it...

eewww... Hey Sweden, I love your country....but stop eating that awful smelling slimy fish !  And in case any reader thinks Im exaggerating...well, Im simply not

Ha ha ha They fooled you...
The Surströmming premiere is the third thursday in august each year with swedish peanut potato and butter...

Noone eats surströmming at xmas... well maybe some people may do..
I definitely would have done it if I had a friend from another country on visit. (evil grin)
Oh they must have had the time of their life tricking you to eat that :D

On xmas we eat pickled herring at least we on the west coast do.. But its nothing like the fermented herring..
Pickled herring comes in many different flavours like mustard, garlic, onion and dill... There are dozens of other flavours...
We use to have 8-12 different flavors. 

Another major ingredient on the christmas table (Julbord) is julskinkan.. (christmas ham)
Then we have boiled potatoes (I never eat that as that is available the rest of the year too).
We have vörtbröd (bread flavored with wort) smoked eel, marinated salmon, Hot smoked salmon, cold smoked salmon..
mustard sauce, smoked sausages, aspic, red cabbage, egg with caviar..herring salad..

My parents (especially my mom) use to have pig's feet and brawn on christmas table.. 

But the best food of all on the swedish Julbord in my opinion is the "Jansson's Temptation"
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/139581/janssons-temptation-janssons-frestelse/

Edited by Rofflaren
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rofflaren said:

But the best food of all on the swedish Julbord in my opinion is the "Jansson's Temptation"

My Swedish GF... not long after I first lived there...was one day slicing potatoes, had some cream and a can of anchovies, to make dinner. She was always a bad cook when she lived with me in the UK....so there I was thinking, what the hell can she do with potatoes, anchovy and cream.?

But when it was ready and I started to eat... I LOVED IT!   I used to get her to make it often..a damned good cheap and tasty meal! So yes I agree with you on that one!

Oh and I know about the schnapps... as soon as I found the local System Bolaget...that was it!!  Mind you the local lads, or some of them, always had that cheap moonshine....I think they called it 'Super'?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rofflaren said:

Ha ha ha They fooled you...
The Surströmming premiere is the third thursday in august each year with swedish peanut potato and butter...

Noone eats surströmming at xmas... well maybe some people may do..
I definitely would have done it if I had a friend from another country on visit. (evil grin)
Oh they must have had the time of their life tricking you to eat that :D

On xmas we eat pickled herring at least we on the west coast do.. But its nothing like the fermented herring..
Pickled herring comes in many different flavours like mustard, garlic, onion and dill... There are dozens of other flavours...
We use to have 8-12 different flavors. 

Another major ingredient on the christmas table (Julbord) is julskinkan.. (christmas ham)
Then we have boiled potatoes (I never eat that as that is available the rest of the year too).
We have vörtbröd (bread flavored with wort) smoked eel, marinated salmon, Hot smoked salmon, cold smoked salmon..
mustard sauce, smoked sausages, aspic, red cabbage, egg with caviar..herring salad..

My parents (especially my mom) use to have pig's feet and brawn on christmas table.. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/139581/janssons-temptation-janssons-frestelse/

Yep, I'd have no problem remaining thin in Sweden.  Give me some Lefsa and Kringla thank you very much!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Don't be givng would be Earth immigrants ideas.

22 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Sadly not by much.

Getting into Earth orbit isn't just about going high, you need to achieve a certain velocity in order to stay in orbit. The minimum velocity needed to go into orbit is about 7,8 km/s (28.080 km/h), add to that gravity and air drag, it is more like 8-9 km/s. By starting at high altitude you will of course lower the drag, but the 7,8 km/s limit is still there. You can get into space with less speed, but you can't stay there. Virgin Galactics Spaceship 2 is an example of an air launched craft that can go into space, but it can only stay there for a few minutes. 

Calculating the velocity change is one of the two fundamental equations in spaceflight. It is referred to as delta-V.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v

Once you have calculated your delta-v, you are going to need the other one, Tsiolkovskys rocket equation, to calculate how much fuel you need.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation

• Like 2

7 hours ago, and then said:

Yep, I'd have no problem remaining thin in Sweden.  Give me some Lefsa and Kringla thank you very much!

Lefsa is from norge (northern norway) in sweden we have a variant for it called tunnbröd (thinbread) its from northern sweden.
And kringla (pretzel) is probably the most boring cakework ever invented..
Are there even bakeries baking this dry things today???
I dont remember ever seeing it except as an ornament in bakeries

And whats the thing about the saffron bun? Its the stupidiest tradition about lucia.
I dont know a single person who buys or like saffron buns.
Its like eating dough.. you actually need a spoon to scoop it from your palate..
Yet evey shop selling food is filled with them.

My son who is 4 and nagged about these..
I thought to myself how can he know about theese dry buns?
He did not relent so I bent and we spent last saturday baking these evil buns.

What happened?? well he took a bite and then complained that it was doughy and that he couldnt swallow it..
How can a pastry that is not even popular amongst 4year olds be the most selling pastry this time of year..