Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reconstructed face of Robert the Bruce

Still Waters

1 hour ago, Mark56 said:

Anyway, isn't history strange? I'm done with this subject

It's been very interesting to the spectator, thanks. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2016 at 6:34 AM, Eldorado said:

You know, if you laid every Australian girl end-to-end.... I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Sorry, P.G. Wodehouse got there first:

Young Men in Spats (1936)

• ‘Do you know,’ said a thoughtful Bean, ‘I’ll bet that if all the girls Freddie Widgeon has loved were placed end to end—not that I suppose one could do it—they would reach half-way down Piccadilly.’
    ‘Further than that,’ said the Egg. ‘Some of them were pretty tall.’
Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:46 AM, Likely Guy said:

Just a reminder, 'scotch' is the drink, Scots are the people.

The people are also known as the Scotch.

Although they cannot be certain, historians are reasonably confident it is his skull.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38242781

All that work and keeping the skull for so long, it would be a shame if it was not. But unless some other skull pops up to dispute this one, I guess its best they go with this is his skull.

He looked a lot "prettier" without the leprosy....but if he had it when he died, then it is only logical to create the image as it would have been at the time of death.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 6:54 PM, Mark56 said:

Right, Most Scotch-Irish don't have Irish names. They usually have Scottish or English surnames, BUT! you can have an Irish surname, it's not exclusionary (Audie Murphy comes to mind, the most highly decorated US Soldier of WW2 and Congressional  Medal of Honor  recipient, he was 5' 5" tall and weighed 114 pounds when he enlisted).

Here's a list of 16 US presidents who were of Scotch-Irish extraction: not one has an Irish name:https://www.google.com/search?q=scotch-irish+presidents&newwindow=1&client=aff-maxthon-maxthon4&affdom=maxthon.com&channel=t23&tbm=nws&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkkbq_n-_QAhXhhlQKHWvtDkgQ_AUICSgC&biw=1871&bih=919&dpr=1#q=scotch-irish+presidents&newwindow=1&channel=t23

You seem to be disturbed by this revelation. I get the hunch you're not from the States. This is really common knowledge in any American High School history class. Just look at a bottle of American Bourbon(90% of Bourbon is made in Kentucky ,the heart of Appalachia) It's spelled Bourbon whiskEy on they bottle. Why would Scotsman spell whisky the Irish way, whiskey? I'll tell you why, because these Scots hung out in  Ireland for about a 100 years before they came to the USA.

I'm not saying that Southern Appalachia was exclusively settled by the Scotch-Irish but it was overwhelmingly settled by the Scotch-Irish. The historical docmentation is voluminous and incontrovertible. Just look it up.

Yes, a small band of Low-land Scots who spoke English and called themselves Irish and many who had English surnames, migrated to this country in the 1700's by the tens of thousands and had a tremendous impact on the building of this nation and creating the American character.

But hey,you don't have to believe me, just google it, research it yourself.There's tons of stuff on the internet about it.  And I also suggest former U S Senator James Webb's book  on the subject: Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish shaped America, a very good read:.https://www.amazon.com/Born-Fighting-Scots-Irish-Shaped-America/dp/0767916891.

Anyway, isn't history strange? I'm done with this subject. Have a nice day sir !:D

Something you might be interested in, i have an interest in genealogy the Lunsford's went to America from Sussex England in the mid 1600s i see Audie Murphy's in the family tree in fact he's a direct descendant.

Genealogy - Geni

• Like 1