Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fly-tippers could have vehicles crushed

Still Waters

Vehicles used by fly-tippers will be crushed as part of local authority powers in a pre-Christmas crackdown across the UK.

Councils have reported a significant rise in the "man with van" phenomenon - where cold callers offer to dispose of household goods including fridges and furniture for cash, and then dump them.

The cost of clearing up fly-tipping is almost £50m across England, with the number of recorded incidents rising 6% in 2014/15 to 900,000 cases.

http://news.sky.com/story/fly-tippers-could-have-vehicles-crushed-in-uk-crackdown-10690062

• Like 2

Councils need to be more willing to take things away if they don't want people to fly-tip, and at a reasonable price. We've always paid for a special collection from our council but they're too restricting on what they'll take so we still have stuff to get rid of. They even have a bed listed as three items, base, headboard and mattress, they're just cashing in there!

• Like 2

I used my work van to run some things down to the tip, said I would have to pay as its a van, luckily, it has seats in the back so according to council legislation, it was classed as a car and I could tip.

Another local tip won't let me because the legislation that they follow, requires me to have rear side windows. 

Goal posts are moving, and last time they refused I told them I will just fly tip it and eventually they changed there mind.

I drive a van in a well known livery for the roadside assistance sector of the motor industry, I was tipping a old fence panel, plant pots scraps of wood and general rubbish from a clear out, obviously it wasn't trade waste so I felt I shouldn't have to pay for a licence.

If your a builder and you tip building waste, then get a trade licence, if it's house hold rubbish, then it should be covered in your taxes.

• Like 1

CRUSH THEM! FINE THEM! LOCK THEM UP! TAKE AWAY THEIR LICENCES (if they have one)   don`t get me started on these litter tipping low lifes!  :angry:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Redefining Success said:

I drive a van in a well known livery for the roadside assistance sector of the motor industry, I was tipping a old fence panel, plant pots scraps of wood and general rubbish from a clear out, obviously it wasn't trade waste so I felt I shouldn't have to pay for a licence.

If your a builder and you tip building waste, then get a trade licence, if it's house hold rubbish, then it should be covered in your taxes.

A few months ago we had to find a house clearance company for my late mum's house before we could hand in the keys to the landlord, we searched for a reputable company that weren't charging an arm and a leg until we eventually found one. While searching we kept reading about making sure the company had a proper licence which would allow them to legally take things to the dump, it said if they didn't have a licence we could be fined for illegal dumping.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

A few months ago we had to find a house clearance company for my late mum's house before we could hand in the keys to the landlord, we searched for a reputable company that weren't charging an arm and a leg until we eventually found one. While searching we kept reading about making sure the company had a proper licence which would allow them to legally take things to the dump, it said if they didn't have a licence we could be fined for illegal dumping.

"fined for illegal dumping" that's a bit harsh if you've got to go, you've got to go. :)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

"fined for illegal dumping" that's a bit harsh if you've got to go, you've got to go. :)

I should have worded that better I think :D

• Like 3

Indeed, fly tipping is a big issue in the UK..tips can class a large load as commercial waste as has been pointed out. So if some cowboy tradesman wont pay the fee...then it just gets tipped down a quite country lane, or similar. Then the council spends small fortunes clearing the dumped stuff away....and where do they take it? To the tips....which is almost idiotic....let people tip for free...then it might solve the problem of fly tipping. Or at least lower whatever charges they have for van loads of waste....

• Like 3

I hate people that dump their garbage illegally for someone else to deal with.  I wish they would crush their vehicles here in the US when they catch them.  When we go hiking in the National Forest its nothing to run across where someone has dumped a bunch of garbage, lots of old tires.   We have had people dump their garbage off on our property.  I also hate it when people throw their garbage out the car window on the highway.

There are two problems:

Fly tippers dump junk where there are no CCTVs

Councils are charging too much for legitimate dumping in recycling centres.

I took a small (about 1kg) bag of tile grout to our local recycling along with other rubbish. I was told the bag of grout would cost £2.50 to dispose of.That was the standard cost per bag, even if it was smaller than a black sack.

Now, I don't have a problem with paying to dispose of waste, but I can see this is going to increase fly tipping.

Edited by alibongo
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, seeder said:

Indeed, fly tipping is a big issue in the UK..tips can class a large load as commercial waste as has been pointed out. So if some cowboy tradesman wont pay the fee...then it just gets tipped down a quite country lane, or similar. Then the council spends small fortunes clearing the dumped stuff away....and where do they take it? To the tips....which is almost idiotic....let people tip for free...then it might solve the problem of fly tipping. Or at least lower whatever charges they have for van loads of waste....

Well, yes, continue to tip for free is the answer to fly tipping.

Unfortunately, due to Brexit, we are going to have far less money to spend on social issues in the future

heres something good to know. Years ago I was told about a network of websites called FREECycle.....  It is a international group now.  Play on words of course, recycle, freecycle

The idea is....what one man considers junk...another man may want (or ladies too of course). The idea is to keep stuff with life left in it from the tips

So you go to your towns FreeCycle...and just read what other people dont want, PM them and collect. When I first got on my local site....I saw TV;s, HiFi's, computers, furniture, the odd bike, reusable xmas trees (fake ones)...ornaments , lamps, carpet, lino...in fact ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF....and yes....they are all for FREE

Have a look at the original site:    https://www.freecycle.org/

Then there was some issue with the sites owners....and a new UK branch was setup...called... FREEGLE, see:   https://www.ilovefreegle.org/

Now using those sites is simple...add you post code (zipcode), find your towns group, sign up is free just need your email addy....and then welcome to the world of FREE STUFF

You either read all the ads of whats being given away...or you post an ad, requesting stuff....its FREE I say again, no money must change hands.

Over the years I must have had half dozen printers, a huge Tv, nothing wrong with it, it was just from those types of people who feel they need to upgrade all the damn time....Ive had 2 surfboards... (sold on ebay as cant surf and needed to make some dough), a handbuillt wooden canoe.....a  mans mountain bike.... lino for my kitchen floor... Ive got my mum a stack of gardening stuff, pots, water but etc... and...its all in good use-able condition

When I sold my boat, I had a load of marine rope....put that on the site and it was collected within an HOUR!   Ive even requested a door and got it.... youd be amazed what people dont want....and likewise....YOUR unwanted stuff when advertised.....goes to someone who really WANTS it....

Get freecycling people.... or Freegling in the UK

• Like 1

Fly tipping really mystifies me. I mean I see illicit tips in the most inaccessible places. Why go to all that trouble? I found a rear quarter of a Marina once in a waterfall about half a mile from the nearest road, and across rough ground. How is that even done? Anyway, you could scrap that and get money for it. 

Just pay the fee, or do what everyone else does if they're doing it regularly, tip the blokes a few quid and you're fine.  

• Like 1

heres just a few ads from my local site to give you a taster, these are being offered.,...totally free!

Ear plugs for phones etc (Buckingham ML18 1PL) - Two pair of ear plugs. Probably used. Not Apple product. Check out the...

1d
Phillips hands free kit (Buckingham ML 18 1pl) - Mobile phone hands free kit for Philips Diga possibly other. Not used but...

3d
6ft artificial Christmas Tree (Duston) - Tesco Value Fir Christmas Tree, 6ft, stand and all branches are there, no...

7d
Artificial Christmas Tree (SL6 (Hurley)) - Good quality (was used in a 4 star hotel). In 3 sections

• 2 weeks later...