Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Gym

psyche101

6 hours ago, internetperson said:

Great thread guys! I'd love to hear yalls two cents about my situation: I have a basic workout regiment of running (run/walk kinda thing) about 9 miles a week and then pushups/pullups about every other day. I'm following a program on these workouts and am very consistent. Recently I've brought squats into the mix and about once a week I'll do some kinda upper body lifting with free weights at home. I'm not so consistent with the weights but I enjoy it more (oddly enough) and I don't think it will be hard to bring it into my schedule. I guess I'm just kinda curious of what you folks' off the cuff response is to this?

Ok well at least you are doing something! Which is always better than doing nothing. Ive always been a fan of pushups ups too, but you say nothing about sets or reps.

For example, if I can do 50 push ups....and so keep on doing 50 push ups week in week out....Im not really benefiting, so I need to add some more, lets say 75 pushups....by small increases, you increase strength and definition. Pushups can also be varied to hit other muscle groups....to an extent....so instead of placing your hands at shoulder width apart....try moving your hands under your chest area....or move them out wider than shoulder width

1) Wide-grip pushup

Target area: chest.

Start from a  normal pushup position but spread your hands wider than shoulder length. This will force your chest to pick up the brunt of the work from your triceps and shoulders.

2) Narrow-grip pushup

Target area: triceps.

Do normal a normal pushup with your hands just a few inches apart from each other underneath your chest.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/workout-routines/top-15-pushup-variations

Note how many you do, and each week or each month, add 5 or 10 on top....or more if you can

weights are the the preferred choice of course so if you can join a gym do so...or buy some at home, and never train for T-shirt muscles.....or...just arms. Make sure you train all the muscle groups and try to fit at least 3 or 4 days of training in.

Define your goals:  Just want to be lean and fit? Or want to pack on serious muscle. If you just want to be lean and fit then what youre doing isnt too bad...if you want more muscle...do weights

Diet: EAT! cut out as much crap as possible.....learn to love veggies, drink lots of water, and choose food for its benefits, not its looks.

Not a complete list, but enough for others to add to

• Like 3

Thanks for replies. Regarding goals I'm a bit different from you guys in the sense that I'm not looking to gain muscle mass. Honestly this may sound silly but I haven't really thought about goals. My health was just really really poor last year and so I just started exercising. I hated being that far gone, I used to have a god like cardio. I don't need that wrestlers' cardio (so to speak) anymore but I like just being physically fit. 

So I suppose just overall physical fitness is what I'm stressing. I like the idea of everyday exercising. I know in the past (I played soccer, football, and wrestled different years in high school) body weight exercises were done basically everyday without rest. I don't necessarily know if I should do that to this day or not? 

Seeder I go through the push up variations randomly. So like maybe 1 week I do wide grip, next week standard, then close, etc. I printed out a system a while back and it gradually increases the amount you do. It comes in sets of 5. I'll try and find it and link you to it,see what you think. And regarding food I have a paleo diet. Not gonna lie though, beer frequents my diet. Beer aside I've learned that eating for nutrients just sucks. Eating isn't enjoyable anymore. That being said though I feel like a demigod when I stick with the diet and exercise at the same time (they can be hard to sync up for me for whatever reason).

CrimsonKing I actually do have a punching bag it's just where in the hell do I put it haha? This really has been something I need to figure out. I'm good with my hands so I can build anything but I haven't actually gotten around to sitting down and figuring it out. I think the bag is like 75lbs, not sure. That is right up my alley. I took wing chun for 7ish years. Surely your eyes just rolled but lemme appeal to you by just pointing out I'm aware I'm a martial arts nerd and not a fighter (I watch too many movies if that's possible). That being said I think it points out my interest in martial arts and I do appreciate the science of it. So the punching bag would be great! I really do think boxing and wing chun (the non kung fu kind) would compliment each other but that's another topic I suppose.

And thanks for fine tuning the man cave workout that's coming up. I'm actually gonna write this down. Dunno why but when I have a system/program down on paper I tend to be consistent. 

Oh got another random question: When I was participating in the high school sports (15 years ago) we didn't exactly have the green light on getting water whenever we wanted. Only at certain times in practice when the coach actually said to get water is when we could get it. Should I monitor how much water I drink or just drink water as needed? 

Also on the diet: I'm a 3 square meals a day kinda guy. Comments? Would I benefit from changing this up? Thanks in advance yall are the best.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, internetperson said:

Thanks for replies. Regarding goals I'm a bit different from you guys in the sense that I'm not looking to gain muscle mass. Honestly this may sound silly but I haven't really thought about goals. My health was just really really poor last year and so I just started exercising. I hated being that far gone, I used to have a god like cardio. I don't need that wrestlers' cardio (so to speak) anymore but I like just being physically fit. 

So I suppose just overall physical fitness is what I'm stressing. I like the idea of everyday exercising. I know in the past (I played soccer, football, and wrestled different years in high school) body weight exercises were done basically everyday without rest. I don't necessarily know if I should do that to this day or not? 

Seeder I go through the push up variations randomly. So like maybe 1 week I do wide grip, next week standard, then close, etc. I printed out a system a while back and it gradually increases the amount you do. It comes in sets of 5. I'll try and find it and link you to it,see what you think. And regarding food I have a paleo diet. Not gonna lie though, beer frequents my diet. Beer aside I've learned that eating for nutrients just sucks. Eating isn't enjoyable anymore. That being said though I feel like a demigod when I stick with the diet and exercise at the same time (they can be hard to sync up for me for whatever reason).

CrimsonKing I actually do have a punching bag it's just where in the hell do I put it haha? This really has been something I need to figure out. I'm good with my hands so I can build anything but I haven't actually gotten around to sitting down and figuring it out. I think the bag is like 75lbs, not sure. That is right up my alley. I took wing chun for 7ish years. Surely your eyes just rolled but lemme appeal to you by just pointing out I'm aware I'm a martial arts nerd and not a fighter (I watch too many movies if that's possible). That being said I think it points out my interest in martial arts and I do appreciate the science of it. So the punching bag would be great! I really do think boxing and wing chun (the non kung fu kind) would compliment each other but that's another topic I suppose.

And thanks for fine tuning the man cave workout that's coming up. I'm actually gonna write this down. Dunno why but when I have a system/program down on paper I tend to be consistent. 

Oh got another random question: When I was participating in the high school sports (15 years ago) we didn't exactly have the green light on getting water whenever we wanted. Only at certain times in practice when the coach actually said to get water is when we could get it. Should I monitor how much water I drink or just drink water as needed? 

Also on the diet: I'm a 3 square meals a day kinda guy. Comments? Would I benefit from changing this up? Thanks in advance yall are the best.

Well i responded with a long post but it timed out and all vanished!...

Will try breaking it down between 2 posts tomorrow :tu:

• Like 2

Arrrguh

Damn Christmas cookies! Egg nog spiked with booze! Christmas ham! 

Only one week to go and I can make my new year resolution. In 2017 I will refuse, REFUSE! Any good advice.

There. I'm feeling better already. 

I've got to cut some weight though. I think I'll stick to my proteins, train hard and stay away from certain carbs. 

Hmm, I did say one week left. What's another cookie going to do..

Edited by Kurzweil
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Motivation for ya!  with before and after pics

Homeless man who gorged on 10,000 calories of fast food a day sheds 140lbs - and reveals his ripped new body has helped him find love

Michael Bettis, 32, would gorge on McDonalds and Taco Bell every day
    The mechanic from Detroit said he was suicidal after becoming homeless
    He changed his life after move to Florida and has now found love and happiness

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4086784/Homeless-man-gorged-10-000-calories-fast-food-day-sheds-140lbs-admits-ripped-new-body-helped-love.html#ixzz4UoAETMmd

• Like 2

On 12/22/2016 at 1:53 AM, internetperson said:

Sorry kinda forgot about readdressing this post...Holidays meh :lol:

Muscle mass isn't the only goal to training,just getting oneself back in shape is a goal in and of itself!

Bodyweight training everyday won't hurt you as "hypertrophy" wont be much of a concern unless really pushed to the limits!...If you mix weight training in with it just be sure to give the muscle groups trained the previous day with weights a day off.

Eating healthy for nutrients doesn't have to suck or be bland ,i can show you 100 different ways to eat eggs alone and none will taste the same lol...As for beer well...I enjoy beer aswell and refuse to become one of those people who just sits back and enjoys 1-3 (healthy amount) just because i want a beer.If/when i drink i drink to enjoy it ;) I keep my beer drinking to 1 day a week usually a friday or saturday and/or holidays.If you choose drink more often it just means you will have to workout a bit harder."Milk is for babies,real men drink beer" Arnold Schwarzenegger :D

Going to part 2 here now so i don't have to try this for a 3rd time lol

• Like 3

A punching bag can be hung anywhere,just make sure it is hung from a sturdy beam or it may cause a ceiling to cave lol.If you are good with your hands just build a stand,i've built several throught the years that way you can easily move it outta the way as needed.

Nah not gonna roll my eyes i have respect for most martial arts styles as long as people know and respect the reality behind what can be accomplished with them and there limits!

No problem man,if that routine gets stale over time and you have built up beyond 5 stations through with ease i can give you others,hell i can even give you one to do outside when the weather changes if you have a lil extra space in the back yard.

Always drink when thirsty!

Sounds like you went to my HS...Only drink when coach says to and if you got injured no matter the injury,"put some tape on it" :lol:

No need to monitor your water intake,hell some days i drink a gallon and a half and others almost 3 gallons!Don't use that as a reference though as we have different sizes and activity levels and too much wat3r can be just as bad as too little.Hydrate as needed!

If you feel good eating 3 times daily and are meeting your goals stick with it,if you hit a sticking point and feel as though switching things up may help...Then switch them up!

• Like 3

Since i'm done with a heavy lifting and bulking cycle i'm thinking of trying something new...

Any of you guys ever heard of "blood flow restriction training"?

I have a friend who has gotten pretty damned good results doing this lately and as crazy as it sounded to me at first it actually makes sense and i have kinda done it without meaning to in the past when dealing with injuries but never really used it knowingly as a training method.

• Like 1

Motivational story, again with before and after pics

Man ditches his 'dad bod' and HALVES his body fat with a few simple lifestyle tweaks - and ends up on the glossy pages of Men's Health just eight weeks later

Tom Ward, 26, from London, set out on a mission to transform his 'dad bod' into an enviable physique
    He shed half of his body fat, put on muscle, and turned his beer belly into a six-pack
    Reveals the secrets behind his straightforward transformation with FEMAIL

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4087322/Man-ditches-dad-bod-HALVES-body-fat-simple-lifestyle-tweaks-ends-glossy-pages-Men-s-Health-just-eight-weeks-later.html#ixzz4UugYXuug

• Like 2

On 1/5/2017 at 7:39 AM, CrimsonKing said:

Since i'm done with a heavy lifting and bulking cycle i'm thinking of trying something new...

Any of you guys ever heard of "blood flow restriction training"?

I have a friend who has gotten pretty damned good results doing this lately and as crazy as it sounded to me at first it actually makes sense and i have kinda done it without meaning to in the past when dealing with injuries but never really used it knowingly as a training method.

Never heard of that - gets results? Do yo have a link to a good reputable source? My Bulking cycle is never ending.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2016 at 5:53 PM, internetperson said:

Gidday!

Happy to have more posters! :D

So Cardio is the direction you wish to take? One of my colleagues is a cardio person too, he loves it, but it destroys me. Too much weight loss for me. 

Keeping the heart rate up during training is something my coach tends to push us to do. I have a cheap $20 watch with a heart monitor I bought just to watch it, some people get high rates, I tend to tap out at about150. 

If you find the link I would  like to see it too. I start the day with 30 push ups every day, I usually go to fail when I get up of a morning then jump in the shower (30 push ups is perfect timing for the hot water to arrive :D ) , would be good to mix it up a bit. 

Mine is on one of those tripod stands with pull up bars and a back pad with armrests (?) to pull your legs up, looks like one of these but the pull up bars over the armrests:

90fe91c0998bcac1900d69d7d5a21393.jpg

with one of these on the back of it:

ef420eb0e5162c9b325a216ea7dd6f9f.jpg

Got it at ALDI - $130 bucks BARGAIN!!!!!

got my Battling ropes there too - $80.00 BARGAIN!! :D:D

Hey, you want to discuss Martial Arts, go for it bud!! It is all fitness related! All positive banter is welcomed here with  open arms. 

I agree with CK drink when thirsty.

Mentioned earlier, you might have missed it, I saw a most interesting experiment where 16 man and 16 women were give a sports drink, water and milk (16 of each) after exercise, then monitored for the rest of the day and measured their urine outputs. Turns out Milk was the best hydrator. Because of the fats and proteins, it sits in your stomach longer for digestion, and more water is absorbed as opposed to just passing through. 

I would gauge it with your results. If you are on the Paleo diet "think you said earlier?) you probably cannot go wrong. I will say Sweet Potato is a fantastic source of good carbs though. 

Thanks for joining in, do not be a stranger! 

Cheers!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, seeder said:

Motivational story, again with before and after pics

Man, 8 weeks is impressive, must have been an intense 8 weeks!

I have some before and afters like that, only worse befores LOL. See a lot of it at my gym. Amazing how 3 months can accomplish results like that let alone doing it is two! The average transformation of that type where I train is about 3 months. 

I will have to dig it up, can blank the face, dont want to upset anyone or break and screens, but it might be fun to get some of those happening. It really amazed me, you do not realise when you are doing it, but pictures sure tell a thousand words there. 

All of them 4 letter ones aimed at Burpees .............

• Like 2

There I go on the sled, just a blur I tell yas!!

Yep DAT is Psyche101 @ 40kph at least!!  !! LOL :D:D

10805575_10205249340302726_3622337485544377770_n copy.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Never heard of that - gets results? Do yo have a link to a good reputable source? My Bulking cycle is never ending.

As i mentioned a friend has gotten great results,no link bud i just gave it a quick look up after he kept talking about it lol.Figured i might see if anyone else had tried/heard of it...

I won't be starting anything new till about another 2 weeks,i have found in the past when stopping a power cycle so to speak (lifting to break plateus) i don't get achy joints if i slowly return to lighter weights and higher reps instead of switching back over right away!

So i've still got some research to do on it haha :tu:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Mentioned earlier, you might have missed it, I saw a most interesting experiment where 16 man and 16 women were give a sports drink, water and milk (16 of each) after exercise, then monitored for the rest of the day and measured their urine outputs. Turns out Milk was the best hydrator. Because of the fats and proteins, it sits in your stomach longer for digestion, and more water is absorbed as opposed to just passing through. 

My only problem with the milk would be i couldn't drink it right before or during a workout...I would get sick as hell lol

IP was asking i believe if there was a reason to not drink during intense exercise as his hs coach much like mine wouldn't allow.Other than being a ass no lol,actually continuing to exercise in a dehydrated state most likely lead to longer recovery times and those damn nagging cramping muscles long after football and wrestling practice! 

Ahhh how i wish i could go back in time and give them a kick in the ass! :lol:

• Like 2

On 1/4/2017 at 4:13 PM, CrimsonKing said:

Eating healthy for nutrients doesn't have to suck or be bland ,i can show you 100 different ways to eat eggs alone and none will taste the same lol

I was being a bit sarcastic but not too much. I just find myself eating fish and veggies and I hate it with a passion. The one good thing about eating clean is my cooking skills are continually improving and I really enjoy cooking. I grow veggies that feed me (and about two others) once every other week or more. So that's really cool working with them and making some legit fresh food. Also this makes me biased about the food because as I'm growing the plants then cooking the food I'm thinking "man this is gonna be good." I think it was Andrew Zimmern who said, "the amount of work put into making a dish is directly proportional to the flavor."

I will say the benefits of eating healthy outweighs the horrendous flavor. After I eat my stomach doesn't feel 'heavy' and I am not drowsy after eating. Quite the opposite. 

Oh and yeah my coach was a 'walk it off' kinda guy. He really slipped up one day when we were in practice. He was barking at us when he said "would you rather be home watching tv, eating cookies and drinking milk!?" Uhh yeah dude. 

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

If you find the link I would  like to see it too. I start the day with 30 push ups every day, I usually go to fail when I get up of a morning then jump in the shower (30 push ups is perfect timing for the hot water to arrive :D ) , would be good to mix it up a bit. 

Can't find the link but this program is basically the exact same: http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

I do similar programs for (body weight) squats, pull ups, sit ups and lunges. 

Thanks for that pic of the punching bag stand! That's awesome! Not sure where I'd put it but I'll figure it out. I had it at one point hanging from the ceiling but family members weren't too happy because it made so much noise. Then moved it outside and hung it from a winch on an i beam but the i beam started sliding  so that was sketch to say the least. 

Edited by internetperson
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2017 at 4:05 PM, CrimsonKing said:

As i mentioned a friend has gotten great results,no link bud i just gave it a quick look up after he kept talking about it lol.Figured i might see if anyone else had tried/heard of it...

I won't be starting anything new till about another 2 weeks,i have found in the past when stopping a power cycle so to speak (lifting to break plateus) i don't get achy joints if i slowly return to lighter weights and higher reps instead of switching back over right away!

So i've still got some research to do on it haha :tu:

Let us know what you learn mate, that sounds really interesting. Going to see what I can find out too. 

On 1/6/2017 at 4:15 PM, CrimsonKing said:

My only problem with the milk would be i couldn't drink it right before or during a workout...I would get sick as hell lol

Good point, that would be chunder town for sure :tu: The experiment was all post exercise that I saw. 

On 1/6/2017 at 4:15 PM, CrimsonKing said:

IP was asking i believe if there was a reason to not drink during intense exercise as his hs coach much like mine wouldn't allow.Other than being a ass no lol,actually continuing to exercise in a dehydrated state most likely lead to longer recovery times and those damn nagging cramping muscles long after football and wrestling practice! 

Ahhh how i wish i could go back in time and give them a kick in the ass! :lol:

I agree, I could not get through, I put BCAA's in my water and my pre workout too. I wonder what the logic behind not drinking was? Not too much for sure, but I think we are all onto that much? 

On 1/7/2017 at 1:42 AM, internetperson said:

Can't find the link but this program is basically the exact same: http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

Cheers! I will take some out of that and mix it up :tu:

Would not mind the model as a training buddy!

It has a "Never do this exercise" ad with a gif of a guy doing leg cycles (we call them that relates to a pushbike) But we get that in training. I wonder what is up with that? Seen a few of those ads, not sure what they are getting at, but not keen to click them for 100 pop ups or some darn thing. 

I do similar programs for (body weight) squats, pull ups, sit ups and lunges. 

My trainer has those in hand. My trainer often leaves me like the chick trying to walk in post #59 :D

Thanks for that pic of the punching bag stand! That's awesome! Not sure where I'd put it but I'll figure it out. I had it at one point hanging from the ceiling but family members weren't too happy because it made so much noise. Then moved it outside and hung it from a winch on an i beam but the i beam started sliding  so that was sketch to say the least. 

Cheers man! I got mine with the pull up stand from ALDI, they have some great gym gear actually, but any sports store should be able to help you out. They are pretty stable too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I've been feasting on tuna and ramen for dinner and egg and spinach burritos for breakfast for a while now. I'm not sure how to describe the effects but I've noticed my pants are starting to get looser. Plus I seem to be getting swole. My arms have gotten thicker as well as my chest. Plus my back too. So apparently Kali Muscles got some good stuff going on in the diet department. All I've been doing is calisthenics and self-resistance exercise. I've got to keep at it. I'm loving the effect it has on me. Plus none of the food aggravates my diverticulitis.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2017 at 8:13 PM, XenoFish said:

Okay. I've been feasting on tuna and ramen for dinner and egg and spinach burritos for breakfast for a while now. I'm not sure how to describe the effects but I've noticed my pants are starting to get looser. Plus I seem to be getting swole. My arms have gotten thicker as well as my chest. Plus my back too. So apparently Kali Muscles got some good stuff going on in the diet department. All I've been doing is calisthenics and self-resistance exercise. I've got to keep at it. I'm loving the effect it has on me. Plus none of the food aggravates my diverticulitis.

I worked with a guy with diverticulitis. His stories about eating things having poppy seeds were for nightmares. I hope that prick is doing better although he got me fired.

Anyhow, I'm looking for how people motivate themselves.

Does it begin before bed or first thing in the morning?

What are all of your methods?

6 minutes ago, Kurzweil said:

What are all of your methods?

If you're talking about my workout I do pretty much this.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/CA/Charles_Atlas.pdf

And this

https://archive.org/details/MuscleControl

Except with the muscle control exercises I do a max effort with a 10 seconds hold (isometric). 

That's it really. With the Dynamic Tension it's all a single set till tired. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kurzweil said:

Do I have to sport the underwear?

No.:lol:

What happened was back in 2000 I gave up bodybuilding because of my lower back mostly. Plus my body isn't designed to handle the strain of it. But I still wanted to work out. So I order the course and followed through on it each day. Got a decent build, removed a few exercises that I deemed useless and added in the muscle control exercises to 'round out' my physique. When you get down to it I only do the Perpetual Lesson and the muscle control. Plus walk whenever the weather will let me. 

I'm only interested in feeling better and maintain (or increasing) my strength to the day I die. I don't want to be one of those weak old men. That's my motivation. 

That's a good motive.

When I get up I don't have a huge routine but sometimes need some ummph.

I find mental exercise before sleep actually helps. Just focusing on a final product and how to achieve it.

My back sucks so I do easy exercises. Some more strenuous than others. Anything from knee bends to just taking a dump.

Personally I feel walking gives me the most rush.

• Like 1