Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
psyche101

The Gym

205 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Here is my "split" it rotates but an example...

Mondays - Chest & back

Wednesday - Legs & abs

Friday - Arms & shoulders

Sunday - Total body

Yeah Fridays for chest would suck for me lol...having exhausted the smaller arm & delt muscles on monday or wednesday would make me use 1/2 to 2/3rds of what i normally do...

My split is a bit "advanced"...for most with less than 2 straight years experience putting large muscle groups like chest and back together on the same day is overkill!

I found it good but some days I'd have spent myself a bit more than I'd like doing other things. I stuck with the full body really just for the convenience of it. Easy to do with a set of dumbells which is all I have room for in my house.

This was the workout program I started on and added/changed exercises as I progressed:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rudy6.htm

I plan to move onto a split at some point, either like yours or a push/pull or front/back but I've not been working out much these past few months so I'll probably stick with the full body for a while when I get back to it. My aim is to completely eliminate weights and go full calisthenics. Have you read Convict Conditioning? It's an incredible calisthenics book. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Convict-Conditioning-Weakness-Using-Survival-Strength/dp/0938045768

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I throw in forearms and calf excercises whenever...they are stubborn and can deal with a LOT without ever being overtrained! ;)

I'm lucky with my calves since I lost around 4 stone by walking (I was quite overweight. Still am a bit tbh lol), so I have ****ing massive calves. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, CrimsonKing said:

It's like when i see people doing "flyes" and they have their elbows completely locked out straight and struggle with anything over 30 lbs and get soreness in their tendons...SLIGHT BEND IN THE ELBOWS!!!

I don't know where some get their advice,but completely locking out the joints on most excercises is a terrible idea and puts unneeded stress on a point that can't support it!

Hey so I recently started going to the gym.

When you say locked elbows what exactly do you mean? Are you saying your arm should never be completely stretched and extended? Always a small bend 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Hey so I recently started going to the gym.

When you say locked elbows what exactly do you mean? Are you saying your arm should never be completely stretched and extended? Always a small bend 

Exactly! ;)

When one "locks out" the joint one takes away time under tension on the muscle and puts overload on the joint...

Even when doing tricep pushdowns I myself don't lockout the joint but lock out the muscle...it may sound difficult at first,but everyones bodies are different...Some say they can't squeeze their triceps on a push down without locking their elbow but they just don't have good enough control.When they lower their weight they usually find out that they can actually feel the muscle contract,instead of their elbows "popping" :lol:

When starting out ignore the weight and focus on "feel"...when you perfect your form your weight will start gradually increasing as the muscle strengthens.

2 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

Having strong tendons can deliver unreal type strength!...I would agree it can be better than having massive muscles!

Having extreme tendon strength is more of a blessing than built!...like a coiled spring!

It can take forever to strengthen tendons compared to muscles,that is why you see all these huge football players at around 230 lbs ripped to shreds,but they are always tearing ACL's and MCL'S...

Look back at people like Jack Dempsey or Bruce Lee...

One problem now days on average that gets vastly underestimated is those old timers natural test levels were MUCH higher compared to most today...far too many hormones and hormone disruptors in everything we use,eat,ect now days!

We got going too fast and i never got to "edit" lol

I covered ligaments but not tendons... :lol:

Anywho...One thing we have left out today is ones genetics and how some are wired with more fast or slow twitch muscle fibers and vice versa...That alone can determine a lot of how one will eventually "fill out" aswell.

1 person likes this