Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did megalodon teeth inspire monster myths ?

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, BadChadB33 said:

Megalodon is still out there.

Because...?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Because...?

Lets be fair, they might be. It's not as if a 50ft whale eating shark is something that'necessarily strike you as remarkable unless you knew what you were looking at. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

Lets be fair, they might be. It's not as if a 50ft whale eating shark is something that'necessarily strike you as remarkable unless you knew what you were looking at. 

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

• Like 4

Tell you what--meet up with one of those puppies, it would sure ruin your day...

Many many moons ago at Daytona beach I was out in the water with the other beach goers. I felt something brush against my leg. There was a moment of panic and I high tailed it back to shore. Never stepped or will step in again.

• Like 2

That Jaws guy in James Bond Movie

Let's be honest. The idea of megalodon still swimming around somewhere is...well...awesome! 

That said, I do think we would have seen one by now. 

I get that we didn't see the colossal squid for a while, but they mostly like the deep water, too. Nothing about great whites indicates that megalodon would just be going in the very deepest of water. In fact, great whites are coming in closer and closer to shore. Happy surfing, folks!

• Like 3

Oh, and no doubt dinosaur bones and megalodon teeth would have people imagining all sorts of things. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Let's be honest. The idea of megalodon still swimming around somewhere is...well...awesome! 

That said, I do think we would have seen one by now. 

I get that we didn't see the colossal squid for a while, but they mostly like the deep water, too. Nothing about great whites indicates that megalodon would just be going in the very deepest of water. In fact, great whites are coming in closer and closer to shore. Happy surfing, folks!

Megalodon wasn't a great white relative, they used to be thought of as being, but now they've been reclassified. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

Megalodon wasn't a great white relative, they used to be thought of as being, but now they've been reclassified. 

That is correct. The megatooth shark lineage (the Otodontidae) is separate from the great white lineage (the Lamnidae).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've always hated when they show CGI Megalodon as just a giant Great White. They do it in almost every documentary about the shark. We have no idea what it looked like. It really bugs me, kind of like when they have an actor playing Hitler, and he has brown eyes. Hitler had blue eyes, how hard is it to do a little research?

• Like 1

On 2017-01-11 at 10:10 AM, shoney said:

I've always hated when they show CGI Megalodon as just a giant Great White. They do it in almost every documentary about the shark. We have no idea what it looked like. It really bugs me, kind of like when they have an actor playing Hitler, and he has brown eyes. Hitler had blue eyes, how hard is it to do a little research?

That's a...strange...comparison.

• Like 3

I have no doubt that history has hand made many significant sings of great strength.now all they do is have mass producing machines that do the job.......respect to all ancient and newely discovered sea life......be more afraid of chironex fleckeri.....

On 1/11/2017 at 1:10 PM, shoney said:

Like Jesus always had blue eyes.  It's like there's a deliberate campaign to get the two mixed up on film. 

But you're right we don't know what it looked like.  We find teeth that look just like giant Great White teeth, and so duh it's a fish that looks exactly like a giant Great White.   It's conjectural at best, and documentaries I've seen don't entertain the doubt or disclaim their depictions, they just present scaled up Great Whites, because Jaws.  The first giant mutant Great White we find will cause a "Megalodon" feeding frenzy.

Also popular in recent years are the denials that Great Whites are top predators because someone saw a Killer Whale killing one.   On the ocean surface, sure that can happen.  Drag an orca into deep water and it doesn't have a prayer, though "deep" is a very relative term since orcas can't even go there.  Likely GWs haven't evolved to hunt orcas because there's no need to, but if they did the tables would be completely turned on the surface dwellers.   Like a submarine with guided torpedoes vs a destroyer with no depth charges.   From 200-3000ft, Whites reign supreme and that's a lot of ocean and very little racism.  :P

The reason why megaladon is so often depicted as a giant great white is because until recently that's what people thought it was. Recently though closer examination of the teeth has led to be assigned elsewhere. But the great white image has stuck. 

A great white is no match for a killer whale. The whale is much bigger, much heavier, far more powerful, vastly more intelligent, and far more active.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2016 at 4:39 PM, oldrover said:

I missed your post last month, my apologies.

So, let me catch up:

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, oldrover said:

The reason why megaladon is so often depicted as a giant great white is because until recently that's what people thought it was. Recently though closer examination of the teeth has led to be assigned elsewhere. But the great white image has stuck. 

A great white is no match for a killer whale. The whale is much bigger, much heavier, far more powerful, vastly more intelligent, and far more active.

Orcas also know how to exploit the shark's tonic immobility. All they have to do is flip the great white over and it is basically paralyzed.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Orcas also know how to exploit the shark's tonic immobility. All they have to do is flip the great white over and it is basically paralyzed.

Yes, this the technique I also use on them...well on small ones...OK dogfish

• Like 3

On 12/16/2016 at 1:06 PM, Kurzweil said:

Many many moons ago at Daytona beach I was out in the water with the other beach goers. I felt something brush against my leg. There was a moment of panic and I high tailed it back to shore. Never stepped or will step in again.

WAS IT A MEGALODON???

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Narcisse said:

WAS IT A MEGALODON???

A baby one.

• Like 2