Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meat pie sent into space! (why)

seeder

Gotta love science :lol:

The pie at night: Meat and potato treat 'sent into space'

A meat and potato pie attached to a weather balloon has been "sent into space".

The pioneering pastry - believed to be the first ever launched into the stratosphere - was launched from Wigan.

Space enthusiasts have attached a camera and tracking equipment to monitor the pie's progress as it soars above the Earth's crust.

The aim is to see if its journey, of up to about 100,000 feet, changes the molecular structure of the pie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38329846

• Like 5

This'll be the first time I've ever prayed for space debris to land on my lawn.  I love pie.

• Like 5

Oh dear.  Last pie I ate was in July 2016 and it gave me the runs, complete with stomach cramps and the shakes.  OTOH, it shows the English have not yet abandoned fun.  Space?  Maybe not.  But unless someone has supplied pies to the ISS, it's an altitude record for  the humble meat pie.

Tea up!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211038/RAF-man-drinks-tea-doing-14-loop-loops-break-bizarre-world-record.html

Edited by Codenwarra
  • Like 3

They do lovely chicken and mushroom pies next door to High Street Library in Bolton. I often pop in for one and then eat it whilst I'm walking down the street.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Black Monk said:

They do lovely chicken and mushroom pies next door to High Street Library in Bolton. I often pop in for one and then eat it whilst I'm walking down the street.

You ever been standing on the terracing with a hot pie in one hand and a very hot bovril in the other when your team scores a goal?  :)

• Like 3

On 12/16/2016 at 11:56 AM, Astra. said:

Sounds a bit 'pie in the sky' to me :P

Astra - my sincere apologies! I came in with the "pie in the sky" comment not realizing you had beaten me to it by hours!

Edit: I will make amends (or not, as the case may be) by suggesting the meat and potato pie is a spudnik!  

Edited by Derek Willis
  • Like 5

Lol Derek ....hey! I didn't even notice your post. No need to apologise at all....all good  :st 

• Like 1

Judging by the pastry of some chip shop pies in this country, these would be better protection on re entry of a space vehicle than the tiles used at present.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, poohbear said:

Judging by the pastry of some chip shop pies in this country, these would be better protection on re entry of a space vehicle than the tiles used at present.

Makes me think of this...

• Like 3

On 17/12/2016 at 11:34 AM, Eldorado said:

You ever been standing on the terracing with a hot pie in one hand and a very hot bovril in the other when your team scores a goal?  :)

I do it every other weekend at the Macron.

And the beef Bovril is nicer than the chicken one.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, poohbear said:

Don't knock our pies! Us Northerners love them.

Here in the North of England you can buy mushy pea pies. I ate one eight nights ago whilst watching Strictly.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 2

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Black Monk said:

Don't knock our pies! Us Northerners love them.

Here in the North of England you can buy mushy pea pies. I ate one eight nights ago whilst watching Strictly.

Youre spot on.I love beef pies.Pimbletts were the best.Hot with the juice flowing out.These were not in gravy,they were just pure beef.Shame they went bust.Pooles in Wigan are nice but i would imagine youre a a Greenhalghs lad.Sayers sausage rolls were the buisness before they went bust..i used to buy them every time i was near.Had one in Runcorn when we used to sail down the Mersey.Happy days.