Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Transformers

Bendy Demon

Ok...so I watched parts of some of the Transformers movies and while the acting kinda sucked I liked the robots and all however one thing really began to irk me and that was how seemingly easy it was for the marines (or whomever they were) to utterly destroy a Decepticon. These bots crumbled like they were just heaps of loosely connected scrap metal.

The fighting seemed horribly overdone and the Cybertronians (both Autobots and Decepticons) seemed kinda wimpy in many aspects. It seemed somewhat odd that a beat that is several times larger than a human can be blown to bits with just a couple of grenades yet withstand a pummeling from their own kind. Despite it all I liked the effects of the robots, pretty good even though they still looked like walking junk heaps.

Anyways...has anyone seen all the movies? Was the latest one "Age of Extinction" any good?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Hollywood 'Magic'

:yes:

~

Well I suppose the effects were good but from what I read the plot was not very good.

Just now, Ryu said:

Well I suppose the effects were good but from what I read the plot was not very good.

I guess one can only expect so much ... after all it is based on an animated series ... it was just a platform for the CGI folks to wow the audience ... a spectacle and a visual effects feast ... never watched any of it, just caught a bit of it here and there on the TV reruns but I can't say I was ever a fan in the first place so I can't be saying much ... I'm more of a GHost in THe Shell kinda fella ... I am excited about the upcoming release ...

~

[00.02:12 ]

~

Nov 13, 2016 - Uploaded by OnePunchMan

This song was used in the debut teaser trailer for the upcoming live action adaptation of the popular anime film ...

~ [00.04:15]

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ryu said:

Ok...so I watched parts of some of the Transformers movies and while the acting kinda sucked I liked the robots and all however one thing really began to irk me and that was how seemingly easy it was for the marines (or whomever they were) to utterly destroy a Decepticon. These bots crumbled like they were just heaps of loosely connected scrap metal.

The fighting seemed horribly overdone and the Cybertronians (both Autobots and Decepticons) seemed kinda wimpy in many aspects. It seemed somewhat odd that a beat that is several times larger than a human can be blown to bits with just a couple of grenades yet withstand a pummeling from their own kind. Despite it all I liked the effects of the robots, pretty good even though they still looked like walking junk heaps.

Anyways...has anyone seen all the movies? Was the latest one "Age of Extinction" any good?

It's established in the first movie that phosphorus rounds were lethal to the Cybertronians. So once word of that spread, any anti-Cybertronian force were issued with them.

AoE was possibly the best of Bay films. But then, being a guest of Vlad Tepes is better than the Bay films. 

• Like 4

Micheal Bay is a good director, but one has to understand his goal is to only make exciting movies with lots and lots of action.  He's smart enough to know that those kinds of flicks are what generates the most money in this day and age.

The Transformer movies are not good.  The latest one (4th) was arguably the best, but it still wasn't in any way a good flick.  But, it doesn't matter.  If the viewers are entertained, then Bay has succeeded.  And if it makes more money than it cost, then he wins again.  He'd stop and defend himself, but he's got to get to the bank to cash another check....

About the acting...yeah, in all of those movies it is atrocious, but it is unimportant.  The movie is about giant robots that transform into every-day vehicles.  I watch them for the action (thank you Mr. Bay), and could care less about what the humans are actually doing.

Just like my Godzilla movies.  Less people, more giant monsters please.

Edited by Thorvir
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a Transformers fan, but I am not a fan of the live-action films. For more reasons than I care to list. Beast Wars and G1 are where its at! :yes:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

I'm a Transformers fan, but I am not a fan of the live-action films. For more reasons than I care to list. Beast Wars and G1 are where its at! :yes:

I liked Beast Wars and Beast Machines until I went back and tried to watch them again a few years ago.  I couldn't get through five minutes of it, and I'll blame myself for that as I guess I've gotten too old for that stuff anymore.  Except...I can still watch G1, GI Joe, Robotech (sometimes) and a couple others...hmmm....

I never got on with the live action films.  The CGI is good, but I think something is lost in the Robot design.  With the exception of Bumble Bee and Optimus, they just all look too similar, too generic.  As a fan of the old cartoons and comics I found it incredibly disappointing.  I mean, Hot Rod is in them.  Which one was he?  Anyone who like the original stories will understand where I am coming from here, given that Hot Rod is a major player.

• Like 3

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:56 AM, third_eye said:

I'm more of a GHost in THe Shell kinda fella ... I am excited about the upcoming release ...

I cannot wait to see Ghost in the Shell.  I fell in love with the 90's versions, but I know there have been quite a few, and I am not sure if they are reimagined or follow-on's?

Looking at the scenes depicted it looks like they are going for the look of the 90's versions and the beginning with Johanssen bursting in, and the section with her beating the guy looks almost scene for scene.  I wonder if they are going to follow the project 2501 story arc or go for a new one though.  The snippets about the Major's past and having being saved sounds new to me, so I don't know, but I haven't seen all the anime's.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grey Area said:

I never got on with the live action films.  The CGI is good, but I think something is lost in the Robot design.  With the exception of Bumble Bee and Optimus, they just all look too similar, too generic.  As a fan of the old cartoons and comics I found it incredibly disappointing.  I mean, Hot Rod is in them.  Which one was he?  Anyone who like the original stories will understand where I am coming from here, given that Hot Rod is a major player.

Bay didn't want to go into too much specifics about what he considered "unimportant" Transformers, and I don't actually blame him there.  But to those that wanted to see their favorite character and that character ended up just being a "Star Trek redshirt"...yeah, I sympathize with that completely.  I still am a bit bummed that Frank Welker wasn't used to voice Megatron (nothing against Hugo Weaving), yet he was used to voice Shockwave....?  At least he was used as Galvatron (not the real Galvatron, nor in his original voice, of course) in that last movie.  Though I think I read somewhere that he's going to do the voice of Megatron in the next movie.  Good, I guess?

• Like 1

The comics are telling a great story - for the last 52 odd issues, the Wars been over, and they might just survive the peace. 

Lots of BIG questions being explored, like whet does it mean to be an Autobot or a Decepticon? Are you a monster because of what you've done for grand ideals? Who is the hero, and who the villain when that red symbol is (effectively) that of a swastika? Who decides What is a war criminal when no one won the war? how do the refugees from the war cope with coming home and finding only devastation?

And ... can the people most responsible for the War find redemption?

Megatron Rejects the Decepticons!

Optimus invades and occupies Earth "for the greater good"!

Starscream is the ELECTED ruler of Cybertron!

6 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Starscream is the ELECTED ruler of Cybertron!

Oh dear mother of Primus! Not Starscream!

That backstabbing, grovelling moron.......can't figure out why Megatron didn't whup his hinny back to Cybertron a long time ago.

Anyways, I like the latest CGI Transformers..it was one of the few shows that made cable tv worth having. Unlike the live-action movies, in the tv shows all the characters had different personalities.

I know that, for the most part, people love gratuitous violence, blood, gore, destruction and so on but not all of us and if that is all a movie maker relies on to make a good movie then that says something about him/her and it is not all that great.

6 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Optimus invades and occupies Earth "for the greater good"!

Well, if we are to use the storyline from the original Transformers cartoon from "way back" Optimus and his crew crash landed on Earth while persuing the Decepticons. Megatron was after one thing and one thing only; Energon, and he was more than willing to wreak havoc on the planet and didn't really care who or what was in his way.

But it is true, I wondered about what it meant to be a Autobot or Decepeticon; Autobots relied more on honesty and honor while the Decepticons basically feel that the ends justify the means and will do anything to accomplish their goals even if it means betraying their own.

I think that the lack of diversity in the personalities of either Decepticons or Autobots (in the live action movies) was what kinda ruined it for me. Optimus, as were the rest of the Autobots, was just as brutal, merciless and vicious as Megatron and his crew. So at what point is there even a differentiation?

Anywhoo...in the tv series of Transformers (the newest one) my favorite character was Shockwave, Knockout, Starscream and Bulkhead. It seemed to me that Shockwave was more laid-back in that he didn't seem to care whose side he served. I get the feeling that if he had joined the Autobots then he would have been just as loyal to Optimus as he is to Megatron.

On 12/19/2016 at 9:16 AM, Thorvir said:

Just like my Godzilla movies.  Less people, more giant monsters please.

Amen to that, Brother. B)

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, Thorvir said:

I liked Beast Wars and Beast Machines until I went back and tried to watch them again a few years ago.  I couldn't get through five minutes of it, and I'll blame myself for that as I guess I've gotten too old for that stuff anymore.  Except...I can still watch G1, GI Joe, Robotech (sometimes) and a couple others...hmmm....

Ya, I'm not going to sugar-coat it, Beast Wars has some things that did not age well, I still crincge at the show's more corny moments and the Looney Tunes-style slapstick is really out of place. I don't want to seem rude, but Beast Machines is one of the few* Transformer continuities I outright hate. It gives a big ol' middle finger to everything accomplished in Beast Wars, the designs are ugly and uncanny, and every character was derailed or screwed over in some way.

*The others being the IDW comics and Transformers: Prime.

Edited by AustinHinton
  • Like 1

After thinking about it for a short bit of time, none of these cgi Transformers "live-action" movies can hold a candle to Transformers The Movie (1986).  In fact, I'm going to hunt down and unedited copy and watch it again.

Edited by Thorvir
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Thorvir said:

After thinking about it for a short bit of time, none of these cgi Transformers "live-action" movies can hold a candle to Transformers The Movie (1986).  In fact, I'm going to hunt down and unedited copy and watch it again.

If you have a phone and a library card, the full movie is available on-line at Hoopla. (A sort of digital library) Alternatively, a 30th anniversary DVD was recently released.  

• Like 1

Just now, AustinHinton said:

If you have a phone and a library card, the full movie is available on-line at Hoopla. (A sort of digital library) Alternatively, a 30th anniversary DVD was recently released.  

I want it on blu ray, darn it. :)  But I'll settle for a copy that's good enough quality, and left the cursing in it.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2017 at 0:07 AM, Grey Area said:

I cannot wait to see Ghost in the Shell.  I fell in love with the 90's versions, but I know there have been quite a few, and I am not sure if they are reimagined or follow-on's?

Looking at the scenes depicted it looks like they are going for the look of the 90's versions and the beginning with Johanssen bursting in, and the section with her beating the guy looks almost scene for scene.  I wonder if they are going to follow the project 2501 story arc or go for a new one though.  The snippets about the Major's past and having being saved sounds new to me, so I don't know, but I haven't seen all the anime's.

Yup, haven't really read up on the behind the scenes makings of this release but I think that's pretty much the first full Anime Version scene for scene ...

~

On January 22, 2017 at 11:06 PM, Thorvir said:

I want it on blu ray, darn it. :)  But I'll settle for a copy that's good enough quality, and left the cursing in it.

Sorry, I dunno if there is a Blu-Ray version or not, I don't use Blu-Ray. I think the anniversary one has the cursing left in. 

• Like 1