Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4-meter tall Avatar style manned robot

seeder

4-meter tall manned robot learns to walk and move hands

Video of a walking manned robot, undergoing work-in-progress motion tests in South Korea, has emerged online. The machine can be seen tested to move hands and take steps, repeating operator’s actions.

The Seoul-based Korea Future Technology company has conducted walking tests for the 4 meter tall, 1.5 ton robot. The machine, resembling those appearing in the Avatar movie, is controlled by a pilot, sitting inside, and repeats his actions.

https://www.rt.com/viral/370692-manned-robot-south-korea/

• Like 3

Avatar?  Does that mean this thing and earthbend, or firebend?  That would be cool.

Its very impressive. BUT...lets not lose sight of the fact it needs POWER!   Fine when its plugged in...but can you imagine the size of its battery pack, if it has one?

Battery power is so far the limiting factor on all robots.... and even Duracell cant solve that one. What could power it for any length of time I wonder?

• Like 1

Japan VS USA VS South Korea

I want to see some giant robots go to war

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Its very impressive. BUT...lets not lose sight of the fact it needs POWER!   Fine when its plugged in...but can you imagine the size of its battery pack, if it has one?

Battery power is so far the limiting factor on all robots.... and even Duracell cant solve that one. What could power it for any length of time I wonder?

In Sci-Fi books it's normally fusion of some sort.  Maybe they could put pinwheels on it's shoulders and use wind? ;)

• Like 2

Why haven't they gone with the power loaded from aliens? 

That's sacrilege.

Perhaps a dodgem car/dalek power system could be adopted? 

Fine when carrying out tasks and internal battery pack when "off grid"

That is so fricking super awesome! 

After the first seconds of teenage pant wetting, I'm kind of curious about its real world application. 

I mean, that's cool that it has a person inside, but is it really necessary with our current technology? 

The operator could sit (or stand) in a nearby room and the results would still be the same (like shown in the video), without adding unnecessary weight to the system (not only the operator's weight, but all the safety systems they have to add in place, door system, seat, etc.). 

Further, how do they control legs movement? 

The guy looked seated, so unless it works like an air bike, I fail to see the control system. 

2 hours ago, seeder said:

Very true. 

Maybe that's why they have a person inside: he works both as operator and human battery! 

Only downside is that operators turnover will be quite high. 

• Like 1

Soft looks like a taller version of an attack drone from Robocop.  I can't think of the name right now.  But until it has it's own self-contained power source, it will be of limited use.  Might be good in construction.

@ and then - If Hillary had anything to do with it, she would have outfitted it with solar panela and windmills.

If it has a pilot, then technically isn't it a vehicle? I thought the definition of robot meant it was remotely controlled, or autonomous.

16 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

If it has a pilot, then technically isn't it a vehicle? I thought the definition of robot meant it was remotely controlled, or autonomous.

drones have pilots, tho not on-board... but yes I see what youre getting at, really, this one is an exoskeleton robot

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, seeder said:

drones have pilots, tho not on-board... but yes I see what youre getting at, really, this one is an exoskeleton robot

I think the population has come to accept the word being used for humanoid vehicles due to Saturday Morning Cartoons calling everything humanoid a robot. I suppose if this vehicle has semi-autonomous abilities, like it can stand up on it own, then it could be classified as a robot.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2016 at 7:38 PM, paperdyer said:

Soft looks like a taller version of an attack drone from Robocop.  I can't think of the name right now.  But until it has it's own self-contained power source, it will be of limited use.  Might be good in construction.

@ and then - If Hillary had anything to do with it, she would have outfitted it with solar panela and windmills.

You're thinking of the ED 209 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9l9wxGFl4k

Pretty cool. Maybe they could put it to work stacking boxes at the supermarket... :)