Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Melbourne terrorist plot

Unusual Tournament

Melbourne terrorist plot: Three charged, one in custody over alleged Christmas Day attack plan

Police have disrupted a terrorist plot to detonate improvised explosive devices at locations in central Melbourne, possibly on Christmas Day, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-23/police-foil-alleged-christmas-day-'terrorist-plot'-in-melbourne/8143762

I wonder if they were on a "watch-list".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Dawn raids across the city suggests they had time to plan things.

• Like 2

I'm happy that they weren't able to succeed in the carnage they had planned.  I guess this is the new normal.  I'm reminded of a photo I saw a couple of years ago of an Israeli soldier eating an ice cream cone while responding to a terror attack.  It happened so fast, she didn't seem to think it was worth ruining her sweet treat.  Once we all become that hardened to it, it won't really be "terror" anymore, will it?  Merry Christmas to OZ!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Habitat said:

They must have been. It sorta fills me with confidence that these animals were caught before they committed their vile acts. Excellent job. Way to go security services.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, and then said:

I'm happy that they weren't able to succeed in the carnage they had planned.  I guess this is the new normal.  I'm reminded of a photo I saw a couple of years ago of an Israeli soldier eating an ice cream cone while responding to a terror attack.  It happened so fast, she didn't seem to think it was worth ruining her sweet treat.  Once we all become that hardened to it, it won't really be "terror" anymore, will it?  Merry Christmas to OZ!

Sad but true. The new normal is hoping these terrorists get caught and killed before they do their evil. There was a time when just hearing and stopping acts of terror was considered too close for comfort now days I'm afraid to say that we've become desensitised to the threat and we're only galvanised into fear and action when they succeed. Grisly murder in the name of religion is normal nowadays.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Fedorable said:

Dawn raids across the city suggests they had time to plan things.

Who had time to plan things? 

Just now, Captain Risky said:

Who had time to plan things? 

The thin blue line.

Just now, Lord Fedorable said:

The thin blue line.

Yeah weren't they cleaver in stopping these mutts and raiding them when they had their guard down.  

I note the terrorists - very Australian names. Hamza Abbas, 21, Ahmed Mohamed, 24, and Abdullah Chaarani, 26, Native born but not assimilated to the Aussie way. funny how you can put a dog in a stable and it still doesn't make it a horse.

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

I note the terrorists - very Australian names. Hamza Abbas, 21, Ahmed Mohamed, 24, and Abdullah Chaarani, 26, Native born but not assimilated to the Aussie way. funny how you can put a dog in a stable and it still doesn't make it a horse.

With the greatest of respect, a name gives no indication about how assimilated a person is. I've worked with a bunch of people who, by your assessment, can't be assimilated because they have "ethnic" names. Yet there's no doubt they're "part of the gang". Is cricketer Usman Khawaja assimilated? Comedian Akmal Saleh? Politician Sahand (Sam) Dastyari? Yes, they all are.

The problem is their behaviour and intentions, not their name.

• Like 1

Just as a little update... the Premier of Victoria is gonna address the boxing day crowd at the MCG on security measures and highlight the importance of being aware of the dangers posed by terrorism. Friggen sad that its come to this. 

On 24/12/2016 at 9:59 PM, stevewinn said:

Once again it's the second and third generation who are the problem. 

The first generation migrants/refugees are 99% of the time just happy to be here. The fourth generation are, unless there's been malicious intent by the previous generations, well and truly Occkerfied. But the second and third generation? Theyve no reason to be glad to be away from "the homeland", they've copped the usual crap anyone not Anglo-Saxon cops in Australia and they're p***ed. What do they latch onto? The obvious thing is their heritage as being X from Y. 

Now, the fourth generation, they're still X, but they're from Australia. They'll still have copped crap but have been exposed to the Australian culture long enough to know the cultural response to copping crap is to give crap back. 

The key is often in the language - I'm Lebanese living in Australia says the first generation (or are very proud to call themselves simply Australian as it's something they earnt) I'm Sudanese Australian says the second generation, I'm Australian from a Vietnamese family says the fourth. The middle generations are disconnected  from their family's country of origin, but haven't rooted themselves into the country they're in yet, so to find something to ground themselves and build an identity around they'll find something. Sadly, sometimes that quest leads them to the mongrels who like to blow up children and blame Allah for it. Sometimes it leads them to opening boutique cafes where they sell only Indonesian food. 

On 24/12/2016 at 11:35 AM, Captain Risky said:

Sad but true. The new normal is hoping these terrorists get caught and killed before they do their evil. There was a time when just hearing and stopping acts of terror was considered too close for comfort now days I'm afraid to say that we've become desensitised to the threat and we're only galvanised into fear and action when they succeed. Grisly murder in the name of religion is normal nowadays.    

I find it difficult to be desensitized, this is my home stomping ground. I have family there. And it appears to be predominantly the same area.

On 25/12/2016 at 0:59 AM, stevewinn said:

New Zealanders had a man known as jihadi John. Absolutely 100% kiwi born and bread, still a terrorist. 

The area in Australia where these terrorist attacks appear to be mostly planned out (urban Dandenong(ish), Victoria)is so incredibly multicultural, when I lived there it was considered the second biggest Greek population outside of Athens, in the world.

You can not decide thier nationality from their name. It is traditionally habitated by middle eastern people.

And as a side note. A few years back, there were riots at Bondi Beach between European/Australian's and middle eastern/Australian's. It was a Cultural clash, terrorism is also a form of worldwide cultural clash. Can these two insidents  be considered in the same way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

I find it difficult to be desensitized, this is my home stomping ground. I have family there. And it appears to be predominantly the same area.

Well I'm a bit like you. I see the threat but there is nothing other than being a good citizen that i can do. 

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

New Zealanders had a man known as jihadi John. Absolutely 100% kiwi born and bread, still a terrorist. 

The area in Australia where these terrorist attacks appear to be mostly planned out (urban Dandenong(ish), Victoria)is so incredibly multicultural, when I lived there it was considered the second biggest Greek population outside of Athens, in the world.

You can not decide thier nationality from their name. It is traditionally habitated by middle eastern people.

And as a side note. A few years back, there were riots at Bondi Beach between European/Australian's and middle eastern/Australian's. It was a Cultural clash, terrorism is also a form of worldwide cultural clash. Can these two insidents  be considered in the same way?

...we've also had a share of mental cases that have gone off to join the ISIS death cult. We had this one moron that took his family over. Kids and all. Even had his kids pose with a severed head in a photo for Facebook. Needless to say the federal government traced a call he made to his father in Sydney and bombed him to paradise. Then his convert wife also died another great outcome. One of those few rare moments that i was glad the federal government was eaves dropping in on calls. Racial tension in Australia is just like most places... everyone hates the new arrivals until a new group takes their place. But i think that the Maroubra re what you are referring to and YES they were racial on the surface. Another important thing to consider is that the surfer gang based in Maroubra was fighting with local Middle Eastern gangs for control over the drug trade in the area. 

But to answer your question, i reckon that you're right. Culture and assimilation are problems for some people and sensationalism by the rest doesn't help. But it does remind me of the stories i heard about successive generations of immigrants to Australia. First it was hatred for the Irish and Germans... then the Jews... then the Greeks and Italians and so forth. Every new group of immigrants supplanting the previous as the "worst." 

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1

Case in Risky's point - there are ASIANS running for seats in QLD for One Nation.

• Like 1