Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Love real ?

LostSouls7

More and more as I learn new things I see love is not a real thing. IN a way it used to bring me sorrow.

But now I know it gives me power over the foolish mortals.

What is your view on the matter? love is real or fake?

This calls for a drink! Let the game start

32 minutes ago, LostSouls7 said:

What mortal is so foolish as to believe he is not a foolish mortal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LostSouls7 said:

More and more as I learn new things I see love is not a real thing. IN a way it used to bring me sorrow.

What a wonderful thought for Christmas. Not ! :wacko:

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:16 PM, LostSouls7 said:

It depends on what kind of love we are talking about here: Self love, love of money, sexual love, platonic love etc.

Yep love is real.

Some people think that since the feelings originate from chemicals in the brain that it is not real.(True but also highly simplified way to see the phnomenen) 

But pain also originates from chemicals and no one claims pain is not real lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Yep love is real.

Some people think that since the feelings originate from chemicals in the brain that it is not real.(True but also highly simplified way to see the phnomenen) 

But pain also originates from chemicals and no one claims pain is not real lol

Actually, what you are describing as love is in reality chemical impulses in our brains triggered by the sight of a member of the opposite sex, fueled by the hardwired need of the organism (read: you) to breed.

18 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

Actually, what you are describing as love is in reality chemical impulses in our brains triggered by the sight of a member of the opposite sex, fueled by the hardwired need of the organism (read: you) to breed.

I don't think I disagreed ? Lol

My point was that just because it's chemical that does not make it less real. If someone walked up and kicked you in the sensitive parts all that pain would "only be from chemicals" no one would argue that the pain is not real.

But I do think people simplify love too much when they say it's only chemicals. Brain scans show that there is a clear diffrence between love and lust in the brain. Diffrent neurons lighting up in the scans. Since humans have the prefrontal cortex it adds more going into instead of solely the primal

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Of course lust, and romantic love, and "agape" love are all quite different from each other. The idea that any or all are "caused" by brain chemicals is a poor and very incomplete explanation. And a very sad situation for whoever believes it ! Lust does depend on hormones though, that influence the brain, but don't originate there.

Edited by Habitat

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't think I disagreed ? Lol

My point was that just because it's chemical that does not make it less real. If someone walked up and kicked you in the sensitive parts all that pain would "only be from chemicals" no one would argue that the pain is not real.

But I do think people simplify love too much when they say it's only chemicals. Brain scans show that there is a clear diffrence between love and lust in the brain. Diffrent neurons lighting up in the scans. Since humans have the prefrontal cortex it adds more going into instead of solely the primal

No, you didn't disagree, lol. :) I am not a romantic type, so I cannot comment on the "ins and outs" of love beyond the basic biological concepts.

29 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

"Love" means so many different things, and erotic love is only one of them.

I think neurologists sometimes err in assuming that the association of certain chemicals or activation of certain parts of the brain cause the associated emotions.  The only thing they know is that they are associated -- the causation could run the other way (presence of the emotion leads to production of the chemicals, etc.).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

"Love" means so many different things, and erotic love is only one of them.

I think neurologists sometimes err in assuming that the association of certain chemicals or activation of certain parts of the brain cause the associated emotions.  The only thing they know is that they are associated -- the causation could run the other way (presence of the emotion leads to production of the chemicals, etc.).

Read my previous post.

• 1 month later...

Since it's Valentine's Day allow me to reply here.

My father always tells me that love is all the universe is about, that it takes different forms and expends to play and experience itself and that love is what there is beyond all mortal issues.

Following this line of thinking love can also be a state of being I guess, I often say I fell in love with existence, but this has caused many issues in my daily life.
Falling in love with existence is what makes me unable to fall in love with a fellow human, because it seems superficial, I had never believed in love as something more than chemicals anyway before so when I found this kind of love it became all there was to me, although I've always felt tendreness for my family, the love for existence I discovered filled the place of romantic love in my mind.

Which is bad, because now I go on with my life waiting for the universe to be my lover, and fill this role, except it will never fill the material parts of a relationship I still need, but human touch like the only feeling of someone's skin against mine, or kisses, make me terribly uneasy, mainly because I cannot truly love others.

Yet I still yearn for love, which is why my daydreams, when they concern love, are just weird love relationships with superior beings that somehow represent a materialization of the superior entity that I feel so strongly for, take the internet mythos slenderman, it may be weird or silly, but it's the only image that I can use to reunite in my mind the universe with a human body.
You could say I'm in love with God, although because of my pantheist/panentheist beliefs I have trouble using the word God, which I associate with the christian God because of the environment I grew up in. In fact this vision of an entity rather than just the universe as an everything (which I had before and which corresponds way more to the reality of my vision), steams directly from this romantic need that I have attached to it, and feeling the need to reunite my love and my physical needs is a great cause of frustration.

(Proof reading what I wrote I noticed some strange formulations but english is not my main language so I hope it's alright)

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on your definition of what "real" is and the value you place on feelings of "love." I'm optimistic. I think an individual can perceive "love" which makes it real, but I also think that if someone views "love" as nothing more than a chain of chemical reactions in the brain then this view fits less with what the popularized idea of love is. We give non-tangible things like feelings a definition so they are somehow more real to us. I think the debate on love being real or not is a circular argument. It's going to be different for everyone but maybe that means there is more than one definition.

Cheers! :wub:

New pickup line when a guy meets girl. "The chemical impulses in my brain are sending me a message to mate with you".:wub:

Xeno's link pretty much sums up my opinion on this. Love does not exist as anything other than a chemical urge to mate.

5 minutes ago, Podo said:

Xeno's link pretty much sums up my opinion on this. Love does not exist as anything other than a chemical urge to mate.

I disagree, I love my kids, I loved my brother, I loved my parents...I even loved my ex-husband (but it was not reciprocated). People are capable of love but it's not as common as some think.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I disagree, I love my kids, I loved my brother, I loved my parents...I even loved my ex-husband (but it was not reciprocated). People are capable of love but it's not as common as some think.

I guess I'm not capable of it, then :sleepy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2016 at 2:16 PM, LostSouls7 said:

Love is real but very few folks know HOW TO keep it once they have it.  That takes a little education that few ever get at home. 

re: IN a way it used to bring me sorrow.

It brings us sorrow when we don't know how to manage or cultivate love so it generally dies of neglect or abuse.  Many USE love to manipulate others to get what they want and then walk on to their next NEEDY victim(s).  Needy, insecure folks are always getting hurt by (false) "love". 

My view on the matter is to read a few relationship books or google: relationship tips and LEARN HOW to make LOVE last and remain as love - not a  childish need.

Edited by jimrich