Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's the Worst Gift You've Ever Received?

GlitterRose

Come on, we've all gotten them. Those gifts that you end up saving in the hopes that someone's eventually going to invite you to a White Elephant gift exchange. 

I'll start.

A pair of plastic jalapeno earrings picked up at a truck stop. I wish I could tell you they weren't from my significant other at the time...but...

• Like 8

My crappiest presents are off my mother nearly every year - socks and boxer shorts.

Off topic, but my best present was when me and my brother got a Sega Mega Drive in around 1996.

My parents hid it behind the settee. Once we'd opened all our other prezzies, they told us to look behind the settee - and we saw it there. Fantastic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

My crappiest presents are off my mother nearly every year - socks and boxer shorts.

Off topic, but my best present was when me and my brother got a Sega Mega Drive in around 1996.

My parents hid it behind the settee. Once we'd opened all our other prezzies, they told us to look behind the settee - and we saw it there. Fantastic.

At least they weren't tightie whities. Were they Christmas socks with toes? (I say that because I remember getting Christmas socks with toes)

It can always be worse, I guess. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

Just now, ChaosRose said:

At least they weren't tightie whities. Were they Christmas socks with toes? 

It can always be worse, I guess. 

White socks are the worst. They were fashionable in the 70s and 80s, but not so now. Thankfully, she always gets me black or navy blue ones. She's never got me Christmas ones, but a few Christmases ago she got me a pack of seven dark socks each with a day of the week written on it.

• Like 3

Oh here's one I got as a kid.

Ugly scratchy granny square sweater vest. 

• Like 4

Just now, Black Monk said:

White socks are the worst. They were fashionable in the 70s and 80s, but not so now. Thankfully, she always gets me black or navy blue ones. She's never got me Christmas ones, but a few Christmases ago she got me a pack of seven dark socks each with a day of the week written on it.

In case you forgot to change them?

LOL...at least the boxers didn't have the days of the week on them.

• Like 2

Oh here's one I got as a kid.

Ugly scratchy granny square sweater vest. 

That's even worse than socks.

• Like 1

In case you forgot to change them?

LOL...at least the boxers didn't have the days of the week on them.

No. She's always gets me check boxer shorts, for some reason.

But there are bound to be people who have had far crappier presents than me, so I consider myself rather fortunate compared to those poor devils.

• Like 1

One Christmas my Mom got me a K-mart sweater with like...big hunks of colored plastic on it. 

In what alternate bizarro universe she thought I would like something like that, I can't tell you.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 3

I can't really say that I've ever had a bad gift. Since I'm typically adamant about not getting one. Cause it's really all for the kids. The 'worst' was a gift card to Hobby Lobby. But I let my kids use it. 

• Like 5

I know someone who got a Thighmaster, but it doesn't really count because it was supposed to be only gag gifts. 

• Like 2

Anything scented, e.g. candles - I lost my sense of smell and people tend to forget that!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, sees said:

Anything scented, e.g. candles - I lost my sense of smell and people tend to forget that!

I hate vanilla scented anything. One year someone gave me a basket with vanilla candles and soaps. 

• Like 1

I hate vanilla scented anything. One year someone gave me a basket with vanilla candles and soaps. 

Did they know you hated the scent of vanilla?

• Like 1

Just now, sees said:

Did they know you hated the scent of vanilla?

I wondered about that. 

• Like 1

I suppose it's quite common to recycle an unwanted gift...  Little tip here - make a note of who gave it to you else you might be in an embarassing situation, say, a year on when regifting it (if they know the person)!

Edited by sees
  • Like 2

Just now, sees said:

I suppose it's quite common to recycle an unwanted gift...  Little tip here - make a note of who gave it to you else you might be in an embarassing situation, say, a year on when regifting it (if they know the person)!

I believe there's only one fruitcake and it just keeps getting passed on every year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I believe there's only one fruitcake and it just keeps getting passed on every year. 

I'll have it!  I love fruitcake and would transform it by skewering it and drizzling in brandy.  Tempted now?

• Like 1

Just now, sees said:

I'll have it!  I love fruitcake and would transform it by skewering it and drizzling in brandy.  Tempted now?

Still not tempted.

I forgot about the bug zapper tennis racket I received one year. 

• Like 1

The worst "gift" I ever got for Christmas was from Uncle Sam... I was stationed in Germany and had great plans for Christmas - I was going to stay the weekend with a German family - a really cool Lutheran Pastor - Just before leaving the barracks I was grabbed and told that a soldier had come down with measles of all things and that I was now on guard duty... So rather than have a fine dinner with good people, I was stuck walking a guard post in the middle of nowhere in 2 feet of snow.... Wonderful Christmas that year   :angry:

• Like 4

Just now, Taun said:

The worst "gift" I ever got for Christmas was from Uncle Sam... I was stationed in Germany and had great plans for Christmas - I was going to stay the weekend with a German family - a really cool Lutheran Pastor - Just before leaving the barracks I was grabbed and told that a soldier had come down with measles of all things and that I was now on guard duty... So rather than have a fine dinner with good people, I was stuck walking a guard post in the middle of nowhere in 2 feet of snow.... Wonderful Christmas that year   :angry:

Oh that does indeed sound like a terrible deal.  Did you make up for it afterwards?

• Like 1

A plant full of little flies that killed it and most of my other plants.  Knew that relationship was ending. Broke up within weeks of Christmas.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, glorybebe said:

A plant full of little flies that killed it and most of my other plants.  Knew that relationship was ending. Broke up within weeks of Christmas.

Does sound like it was symbolic.  I hear that a lot of relationships end/split up either before xmas or before the New Year!  Seems cruel.

Edited by sees
  • Like 1