Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A haunting in Northern California

UM-Bot

Story submission by: Anomalous_Zombie Location: Northern California

I have always been, and still remain a healthy skeptic about anything paranormal. I maintain that 99% of all supposed paranormal occurrences can be contributed to something not so mysterious, and yet what about that remaining 1%? 

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/111777/a-haunting-in-northern-california

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I lived in a 2 story house that once belonged to a man whose wife cheated on him, then was going to divorce him, and take the house that was handed down to him by his grandfather - so he ended up committing suicide.

My wife and I had MANY unexplainable things happen there.

What triggered me to reply to your post was after reading about the footsteps and coughing upstairs. It reminded me of a night when I was playing poker on my home computer in the back bedroom on the first floor and distinctly heard my wife walking around in the room directly above me. I had ignored it for quite a few minutes as I played poker, but between hands I did wonder what she was doing up there walking around since we RARELY ever went upstairs.     But anyway, after the poker game ended appr. 20 mins later or so, I did back away from my computer desk and began walking to the staircase on the other side of the house so I could go up there to find out what she was doing - but as I passed thru the Living Room area, my wife was sitting there watching tv and said that she hadn't been up there that night or for at least a week prior.

I know the skeptics will say that we had a squirrel walking around up there or the wind was blowing or something - BUT THEY WERE NOT NOT NOT THERE!! I know what frikkin squirrels sound like and what wind does when it blows - BUT SOMEONE HAD BEEN WALKING AROUND UPSTAIRS, AND IT WAS NOT AN INTRUDER EITHER.

...that is only one of many things that happened in that house, so believe me, you are not alone in your confusion. I am not a nut and I don't have an eago that I need to feed with people paying attention to me - I DON'T NEED IT. I was there and I know what had happened.

So, you are not alone, friend.

Edited by BelieveNow
forgot to type the part about the previous owner committing suicide.
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
22 hours ago, BelieveNow said:

What triggered me to reply to your post was after reading about the footsteps and coughing upstairs. It reminded me of a night when I was playing poker on my home computer in the back bedroom on the first floor and distinctly heard my wife walking around in the room directly above me. I had ignored it for quite a few minutes as I played poker, but between hands I did wonder what she was doing up there walking around since we RARELY ever went upstairs.     But anyway, after the poker game ended appr. 20 mins later or so, I did back away from my computer desk and began walking to the staircase on the other side of the house so I could go up there to find out what she was doing - but as I passed thru the Living Room area, my wife was sitting there watching tv and said that she hadn't been up there that night or for at least a week prior.

Just a question and you've got to promise not to go ballistic. Do you that that perhaps your wife went upstairs to look for something, then came back down and started watching tv again? I mean it was a 20 minute time span. Another possibility is that you were very focused on your card game and heard her walking in the background and thought that it came from upstairs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it funny when science comes in to try to observe and document these types of occurrences, the ghosts just go away.  And why do they only come out mostly at night?  Because it scares children?  Seems more like the product of imagination than reality.

With that said, science has shown that almost anything is "possible" through the reality of quantum mechanics so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that consciousness extends beyond our physical dimensions.  Does this mean ghosts are possible?  Well, almost anything is possible as the most advanced science has proven.  But science has also not proven that ghosts or paranormal power actually exists in the face of so much fraud which has always shown to be the truth when the scientific method is applied.  

In the end, it's a matter of faith even if someone experiences the unexplained.  Religious people of faith experience similar events and yet, they still have to have faith to believe, no proof exists, only interpreted memories of events witnessed through human perception, which has been shown to be notoriously inaccurate (witness studies in criminal cases for instance.)  

That's why a proof of existence can only come from science and I probably wouldn't even trust my own perceptions even if I did witness something.  In the end, I don't really believe in ghosts but I do know from science that they are ever so remotely possible.

Edited by Noxasa

I am a reasonably scientific person and have been raised in a conservative Christian household as well as attended Christian elementary schools and Christian college as a biology major. This is just to show i didn't grow up as a new age, energy and crystals kind of person. My father was a family practice medical doctor and mom was an registered nurse so its safe to say science and belief in God are no stranger to me or my family.  I now work as a project manager for an ISP deploying enterprise data/voice circuits for companies like Skype, Riot Games, and Vevo to name a few.  Before I did this job i worked as a consultant and would do on-site visits to repair computers, set up LANs, configure wireless routers, etc. Zero thoughts about ghosts or paranormal things in my life at that time. I do recall grandma in Hawaii talking about the history and lore of things in the islands that included balls of visible light that would float and move and night marchers and such. Grandma was a devout Christian and very grounded but she realized that there are more things under heaven and earth than we can think of and I accepted this and moved on to the mainland.

That being said, I never believed in ghosts really. After all I had never seen one and it seemed only weirdos would talk about paranormal things from time to time when i was at social gatherings but i paid them no mind. I didn't call them liars but didn't think there was much to what they said as i hadn't seen anything in my life that would convince me. I have explored forgotten Mayan pyramids lost in the jungles outside of Guadalajara, Mexico. Wandered through pitch black lava tube caves that ancient Hawaiians had explored and even found old bodies in old wooden coffins that were desiccated and forgotten. Never had any paranormal experiences so I didn't believe as it didnt fit into my "belief window" that i viewed the world through.  

Then I moved to the mainland and as a IT consultant drove over to a huge Victorian mansion in Vallejo CA that the owner needed help with to set up his LAN and wireless router as he was having issues getting them to work.  Mind you he was an AT&T engineer and very smart but this was weird and a friend referred him to me to help.  I remember my car was in the shop so he came and picked me and my tools up and we went to get this done. I worked on it for hours and it would start to work and then the wireless signal would drop from full bars to nothing and I could not understand it. So I crashed on the couch in the living room that nite as his fiance was a friend of mine and he trusted that I was going to solve this somehow.

I fell asleep on the couch in the little drawing room that had windows facing down the hill to the harbor as Vallejo was a busy port city at one time.  This huge Victorian house had belonged to some captain that was away on voyages and they were well of as there was even servant quarters in the back of the house that were untouched and left as they were. The only thing i noticed was that i felt uneasy for some reason but brushed it off as just nerves and sleeping in an old strange house.  So I remember i turned off the TV at some point and went to sleep. Sometime after that i remember light hitting my eyelids and i though maybe i bumped the remote and turned on the TV by accident in my sleep. Half-awake I slowly opened my eyes to check and all my brain could register was "wrinkles" as in the most wrinkled old woman face with wrinkles around the eyes and on the cheeks and neck and just ancient looking. I realized then that i was indeed awake and was looking at an old lady in a long Victorian dress buttoned up to the neck, with long sleeves and it draped to the ground. I also realized that she was glowing from within - she was illuminated by light coming from within her which is how i was able to see the wrinkles of her face in such detail.  She had her arms crossed as she stood about 3 or 4 feet away from the couch looking down at me like I owed her money or something. During this time I remember this stillness and it was very cold around me and the house was silent.  We looked at each other for a few moments and once I realized what I was seeing my martial arts training of not giving power to bullies by showing fear kicked in. I distinctly made it a point to acknowledge her and said out loud, "whoa its the ghost of the lady of the house- cool!" then I giggled and turned my back on her and went back to sleep. This way i wasn't giving any fear or negative energy but rather more of an attitude of astonished amusement so that I had no fear for it to draw on or give power over me with.

Needless to say at breakfast that morning with the engineer and his fiance I related what I saw and asked him if he had ever seen that or was i crazy?   He looked at me as i described her and said, "oh that's the ghost of the lady of the house- i see her when i fall asleep in the living room."  So I said, "ok -I am not crazy and that really did happen last nite?" and he affirmed that yes it happened to him as well.  His fiance was very surprised and not a little taken aback but this news as she had only slept upstairs in the bedrooms and hadn't seen the ghost yet.

I ended up getting the network fixed and was ready to head home (an hour away) but they wanted to wait until the next day to drive me back. Instead i called an ex-gf who was still very good friends with me and she offered to come pick me up since I lived just a few blocks from her.  When she got there I was so grateful and explained why I didn't want to spend another nite there and related the story which the AT&T engineer home owner (who was standing there while i told her what happened) verified as real and true. She immediately went and waited for me in the car while i gathered up my tools and packed up as she was more than a little freaked out by being in a "haunted house".  I remember playing it over and over in my mind as it was crystal clear and i started talking about it to the ex-gf but it scared her so much that she literally got angry and asked me never to talk about it with her ever again.  People fear what they don't understand so I get it.  Me? I was curious and wanted to see if I could document this stuff to show others that it is real and being a man of science and God didnt preclude my "antenna" from picking up on that amazing visual.  I went on to join a paranormal investigation group and we did 24 hour lockdowns in some amazing haunted locations. I did get some pictures of faces glowing in the darkness of an old abandoned military/trade school/ orphanage had an unsolved murder and body discovered stuffed into the pantry of teh kitchen in the huge building. I have captured voices on my digital audio recorder when walking through an old cemetery in Jackson, CA that were a direct answer to me saying, "My name is xxx and if you can hear me go ahead and talk to the device in my hand." When i plugged the device into my PC and used audacity to play back the audio I heard clear as day a female voice saying,"my name is Mary Scott".  Which blew me away as i didn't think it would really work.  TO be clear - there was no one around me when i did this experiment and you can tell by the wavelengths of the audio the difference between what a normal human voice looks like and it was markedly difference from the much narrower wave structure of Mary Scott's voice.  I have captured many other EVPs in that cemetery as well which never ceases to amaze me as I never did believe in this stuff.  But scientific method required that I do my own research and document my findings which i have done and on occasion I will share my findings with folks that are interested or are skeptical and since they know I am stable and normal productive member of society when they see what i have captured they just get quiet and then say "well I will believe it when it happens to me."   I would love to make a reality show where we take skeptics and put them with fixed cameras to capture activity in places with high paranormal activity to see how their belief window gets broken to allow for more things to exist than they wanted to believe. That would be must see TV =P

7 hours ago, LevL7DungElf said:

...But scientific method required that I do my own research and document my findings which i have done and on occasion I will share my findings

Why wasn't that occasion now, with this post?  You are claiming to have documented this with EVP's using proper methodology?  I've got to say that will be a first...  Bear in mind that quite a few of those who post at this forum are either in, or formerly were in, the sciences.  I am just one of many who know what decent methodology looks like, and generally EVP enthusiasts fall far short.

So I'd love to see your work - I trust it will be compelling..

7 hours ago, LevL7DungElf said:

...That would be must see TV =P

For some perhaps...  I'll wait to see your methodology.